Jessops UK photo store in recievership

Old January 11th 13, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default Jessops UK photo store in recievership

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 05:31:17 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
wrote:
:
: Thought it worth mentioning here.
:
: Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
:
:
: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659

Thank you, Mr Cameron.

And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.

Bob
Old January 11th 13, 02:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:
:
: Thought it worth mentioning here.
:
: Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in
the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
:
:
: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659

Thank you, Mr Cameron.

And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.

Bob

This sounds like the typical prey of Bain Capitol and "Stealth Mitt".

Savageduck

Old January 11th 13, 07:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

wrote:
:
: Thought it worth mentioning here.
:
: Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in
the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
:
: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659

Thank you, Mr Cameron.

They have looked doomed for some time. The bank already owns them after
the previous rescue in 2009 and this year their greed and consumer
apathy finally killed the company. I expect it is the suppliers who will
take most of the hit. Former chairman blames HSBC:

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/for...172757216.html

I expect he is merely out of the frying pan into the fire at HMV. HMV is
probably doomed too since online digital download sales of music and
video is even more of a threat to bricks and mortar physical stores.

And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.

Bob

This sounds like the typical prey of Bain Capitol and "Stealth Mitt".

Post Christmas I doubt if there are any worthwhile assets to carve up.
You won't get much if anything for empty shop premises when there are so
many already to choose from on the high street. And a fire sale of what
little old stock they have won't raise much. I noticed in a Manchester
branch last week that there was some Canon ink in old packaging on the
racks with about two years dust on it.

I still used my local Jessops for small sizes of printing where they
were price competitive overnight on large runs. Sad to see them go. I
have bought several cameras from them over the years.

But even I buy photo kit online now. I last bought a camera at Jessops
more than a year ago and only then because I needed it instantly.

Martin Brown
Old January 11th 13, 08:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:
:
: Thought it worth mentioning here.
:
: Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
:
:
: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659

Thank you, Mr Cameron.

And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.

What makes you think Price Waterhouse Coopers are American?

Eric Stevens
Old January 11th 13, 02:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Martin Brown wrote:
And a fire sale of what little old stock they have won't raise much.

Hmm. I wonder if it's worth looking for items where warranty isn't much of an issue
at low prices - (Manfrotto) tripods, (Billingham) camera bags
at fire sale prices...

BugBear
Old January 11th 13, 02:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 1/10/13 8:58 PM, in article
201301101858278623-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"

wrote:
:
: Thought it worth mentioning here.
:
: Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in
the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
:
:
: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659

Thank you, Mr Cameron.

And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.

Bob

This sounds like the typical prey of Bain Capitol and "Stealth Mitt".

Or Al "I hate Big Oil" Gore, and his television network...

Old January 11th 13, 03:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
AnthonyL

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 07:53:12 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

But even I buy photo kit online now. I last bought a camera at Jessops
more than a year ago and only then because I needed it instantly.

I called in today to see what bargains they had, in particular I was
in the market for a decent (Manfrotto or similar) tripod.

Their reduced value was well above internet. Popped in at the nearest
London Camera Exchange and saved myself quite a few quid, got a head
and a 50mm lens which they discounted for me to make a round number.

I think in all the years I've had a choice I've never bought from
Jessops even though I've popped in more than once.

--
AnthonyL
Old January 11th 13, 03:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:
:
: Thought it worth mentioning here.
:
: Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in
the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
:
:
: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659

Thank you, Mr Cameron.

And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.

Bob

This sounds like the typical prey of Bain Capitol and "Stealth Mitt".

Or Al "I hate Big Oil" Gore, and his television network...

Oh! You mean the "VTV Network", or the Vapor TV network, sold to
"Royally Big Oil" backed Al J?

Considering the market penetration that failed experiment had, I was
surprised that they were able to put the $500M sale together. It was
never picked up by Charter Communications, my cable provider. So I have
never seen any of that product, and couldn't comment one way or another
on any of their program content. It is out there somewhere in the
ether, never able to find its way into my home.

Talk about maximizing the potential of a failed proposition!

Savageduck

Old January 11th 13, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joe Kotroczo

wrote:
:
: Thought it worth mentioning here.
:
: Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
:
:
: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659

Thank you, Mr Cameron.

And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.

What makes you think Price Waterhouse Coopers are American?

It's actually more complicated than that. PwC is not a single company,
it's a collection of companies with the same name and owners. There is
an US firm, but the headquarters for the whole group of firms in London.

--
audentes fortuna iuvat