how does a slave flash work?

Old May 1st 05, 02:49 AM
Francesco Spegni

Default how does a slave flash work?

hallo newsgroup,

i'm quite new to photography so i just hope these questions are not too
stupid :-P

take an slr camera where it's possible to attach a flash to it. there are
special contacts on top of the camera for plugging it, and through those
contacts the flash can synchronize itself with the camera, so it actually
enlights the space at the right moment (i.e. when we shoot the picture).

but then take a so-called "slave" flash: it plugs _under_ the camera, on
the same plug we use for the tripod. how can it synchronize the light
with the moment you actually shoot the picture?

i hope you can explain this to me by the way, i don't like the enbodied
flash of my camera (eos 300), would you suggest me to take a slave flash
or a regular flash to be plugged on top of the camera? i also knew that a
decentralized flash would avoid the nasty red-eye effect, so i thought a
slave flash would be a good idea... again, can you guide me through this
decision?

thanx in advance

francesco