[PhotoPhunnies] A few chucklers

Old March 24th 05, 12:25 AM
Alan Browne

Default [PhotoPhunnies] A few chucklers

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT1194S.jpg

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT1204S.jpg

A student protest against gov't bursary reductions.
The humor might be a bit tough to spot:
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT1226S.jpg

Cheers,
Alan.
Old March 24th 05, 10:41 AM
Chadwick

Alan Browne wrote:
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT1194S.jpg

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT1204S.jpg

A student protest against gov't bursary reductions.
The humor might be a bit tough to spot:
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT1226S.jpg

You might need to translate the sign in the last one. Something about
using force to get solidarity? Is the final "s" the key to the joke? Is
a joke still funny when you analyse and explain it?

The snow pictures reminded me of the recent snowfall in England. A
light dusting of snow closed Kent and they had to call in the army (not
the regular army, but the Ghurkas, the hardest fighting force in the
world).
Anyway, local radio was broadcasting all the events that been cancelled
due to the snow. This included (wait for it)... the Maidstone Skiing
Club.

Old March 24th 05, 04:11 PM
ian lincoln

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
.. .

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT1194S.jpg

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT1204S.jpg

A student protest against gov't bursary reductions.
The humor might be a bit tough to spot:
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT1226S.jpg

Cheers,
Alan.

i haven't studied french since i was thirteen which doesn't help.

Old March 24th 05, 04:11 PM
Alan Browne

Chadwick wrote:
You might need to translate the sign in the last one. Something about
using force to get solidarity? Is the final "s" the key to the joke? Is
a joke still funny when you analyse and explain it?

It would be obvious to anyone who speaks French, esp. in the context of
a student protest.

Anyway, local radio was broadcasting all the events that been cancelled
due to the snow. This included (wait for it)... the Maidstone Skiing
Club.

That is funny.

Washington DC is another city that can't deal with snow.

Old March 24th 05, 05:50 PM
Paul Bielec

Alan Browne wrote:
Chadwick wrote:

You might need to translate the sign in the last one. Something about
using force to get solidarity? Is the final "s" the key to the joke? Is
a joke still funny when you analyse and explain it?

It would be obvious to anyone who speaks French, esp. in the context of
a student protest.

Other than the initially missing "S", I don't see what is funny.
Even that is more sad than funny. When I started university, half of
students were failing their French exam. Sad, sad...
Old March 24th 05, 06:48 PM
Jan Böhme

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:25:04 -0500, Alan Browne
wrote:

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT1194S.jpg

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT1204S.jpg

A student protest against gov't bursary reductions.
The humor might be a bit tough to spot:
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT1226S.jpg

Not certain that I got it. Is the humor that the current bursaries
obviously aren't enough to make the students get their French grammar
right at first attempt, or does it want to show that the girl calling
for solidarity in writing actually is pinching something out of one of
her co-protesters backpack in deeds, or is there some even more subtle
humor that I have missed out on?

Jan Böhme
Old March 24th 05, 07:51 PM
Alan Browne

Jan Böhme wrote:

Not certain that I got it. Is the humor that the current bursaries
obviously aren't enough to make the students get their French grammar
right at first attempt, or does it want to show that the girl calling

We have another winner! Really in the sense that before you apply for a
grant you should perhaps be able to get your grammar right. (Okay it's
not *that* funny, ironic would be more like it).

for solidarity in writing actually is pinching something out of one of
her co-protesters backpack in deeds, or is there some even more subtle

That occured to me to, but there's no obvious pilferring, could have
just stuck her cigarettes in her friends pack.

Cheers,
Alan.

Old March 24th 05, 07:58 PM
Alan Browne

Paul Bielec wrote:

Other than the initially missing "S", I don't see what is funny.
Even that is more sad than funny. When I started university, half of
students were failing their French exam. Sad, sad...

Ironic.

Old March 24th 05, 11:45 PM
Matt White

Alan Browne wrote:

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT1194S.jpg

http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT1204S.jpg

A student protest against gov't bursary reductions.
The humor might be a bit tough to spot:
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT1226S.jpg

Cheers,
Alan.