Micro 4/3 at ISO 3200

Old April 20th 17, 06:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Micro 4/3 at ISO 3200

This is what micro 4/3 is capable of at the moment:
http://www.molon.de/images/P4173139.jpg

Taken with the Olympus E-M1 II and the 12-100 lens.
--
Alfred Molon

Old April 21st 17, 04:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Alfred Molon:

This is what micro 4/3 is capable of at the moment:
http://www.molon.de/images/P4173139.jpg

Taken with the Olympus E-M1 II and the 12-100 lens.

Uh, OK, looks good, but do people really go around shooting at ISO
3200? If so, why, outside of astrophotography?

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old April 21st 17, 05:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-04-21 03:26:08 +0000, Davoud said:

Alfred Molon:

This is what micro 4/3 is capable of at the moment:
http://www.molon.de/images/P4173139.jpg

Taken with the Olympus E-M1 II and the 12-100 lens.

Uh, OK, looks good, but do people really go around shooting at ISO
3200? If so, why, outside of astrophotography?

Shooting high ISO is just another creative option, especially with
newer sensors. While it is optimal to shoot at native ISO there are
definitely times when higher ISO is desirable. Remember there are folks
who shoot genres other than astrophotography, or macro photography of
insects.

Today many cameras perform well in low light at ISO 3200, 6400, and to
12800 and beyond. You will find that a new trend is to use Auto-ISO
with a base ISO, a minimum shutter speed, and max ISO set. Canon,
Nikon, Olympus, Fujifilm and others all have this feature, and it works
well. I use it all depending on circumstances; fixed ISO, (native and
selected sub-native, medium, and high), and three different Auto-ISO
set-ups.

Savageduck

Old April 21st 17, 06:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article , Davoud
wrote:

Alfred Molon:

This is what micro 4/3 is capable of at the moment:
http://www.molon.de/images/P4173139.jpg

Taken with the Olympus E-M1 II and the 12-100 lens.

Uh, OK, looks good, but do people really go around shooting at ISO
3200? If so, why, outside of astrophotography?

Shouldn't astro be done on legs with motorized heads?
--
teleportation kills
Old April 21st 17, 10:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 21:26:06 -0700, Savageduck

On 2017-04-21 03:26:08 +0000, Davoud said:

Alfred Molon:

[...]

All OK, but high ISO cuts down the possible dynamic range. Keep it low
if you can.

Eric Stevens
Old April 21st 17, 01:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-04-21 03:26:08 +0000, Davoud said:

Alfred Molon:

[...]

As I said, it is optimal to shoot at native ISO, and for most DSLR's,
MILC's, and (M)4/3's that is usually 100 or 200 ISO.

I have found that using Auto-ISO in varying daylight, both the X-E2 and
X-T2, with the following Auto-ISO settings: Base 200 ISO, Min Shutter
1/80, Max ISO 1600, most images are captured at ISO 200-400.

Savageduck

Old April 21st 17, 02:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-04-21 03:26:08 +0000, Davoud said:

Alfred Molon:

[...]

I forgot that one of the neat features with the X-T4 2.0 firmware
update/upgrade, is the improvement to the bracketing options. Along
with AE brackets of -2, +2, ±3, ±5, ±7, & ±9 frames @EV in 1/3 steps to
3, there are ISO bracketing steps of ±1/3 - ±1, all useful tools when
needed.

Savageduck

Old April 21st 17, 03:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

better to have low dynamic range than nothing at all.

Keep it low
if you can.

*if* you can. it's not always possible, and also why auto-iso is a good
choice.
Old April 21st 17, 03:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Davoud:
Uh, OK, looks good, but do people really go around shooting at ISO
3200? If so, why, outside of astrophotography?

Eric Stevens:
All OK, but high ISO cuts down the possible dynamic range. Keep it low
if you can.

Exactly so. ISO 3200 may be trendy, but I'm interested in picture
quality, not trendiness. I shoot between ISO 100 and 200. Not enough
light? That's what off-camera flashes are for
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/33738820160/,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/33278813924.

Old April 21st 17, 03:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Davoud
wrote:

Davoud:
Uh, OK, looks good, but do people really go around shooting at ISO
3200? If so, why, outside of astrophotography?

Eric Stevens:
All OK, but high ISO cuts down the possible dynamic range. Keep it low
if you can.

Exactly so. ISO 3200 may be trendy, but I'm interested in picture
quality, not trendiness. I shoot between ISO 100 and 200. Not enough
light? That's what off-camera flashes are for

flash is not always allowed, on or off camera, particularly in
theaters, museums and other places, and even if it is allowed, it can
be rather annoying to others. in those situations, iso 3200 may be your
only option to get a photo.