Photographing children

Old April 27th 05, 07:09 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Mxsmanic" wrote:

(snip) I argue that there is far more harm
from the illegality of drugs than from the
drugs themselves. (snip)

Then I suggest you visit the government's National Institute on Drug Abuse
web site (www.drugabuse.gov) to read about the harmful effects of drugs.

Stewart

Old April 27th 05, 07:50 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Jer" wrote:
I'm still confused about what constitutes
illegal alcohol. Since prohibition ended,
I'm unaware of it's existence.

It varies. Some is name brand alcohol purchased outside proper tax
channels, while others are low quality alcohols, often manufactured today in
third-world countries under questionable sanitary conditions, packaged and
labeled to resemble legitimate name brands. The greatest danger from these
fake name brand alcohols is the fluctuating alcohol content. Consumers, used
to drinking a certain amount of a certain brand of alcohol, may be subjected
to alcohol content several times greater than what they are accustomed to
drinking. Regardless, since alcohol is consumed in large quantities
throughout this country, the trade of illegal alcohol appears to be a fairly
robust industry - enough to keep the alcohol division of ATF busy.

Stewart

Old April 27th 05, 07:56 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Mxsmanic" wrote:
There are still many "dry" jurisdictions in
the U.S., and alcohol is still very heavily
regulated everywhere.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, I'm not aware of any "dry" towns, counties, or
states, today. Some areas still restrict the sale of alcohol on Sundays, but
have no unique restrictions throughout the rest of the week.

Stewart

Old April 27th 05, 08:08 AM
Dwight Stewart

"G.T." wrote:

I was trying to stay out of this wildly off-topic
thread but I have a couple of rhetorical
questions for you. Why are some drugs illegal?
Why is marijuana illegal? Why are alcohol
and tobacco legal? (snip)

Actually, there are answers to your questions (studies on the comparative
effects of marijuana, alcohol, and tobacco), but one typically isn't seeking
answers to rhetorical questions. So, instead, I'll invite you to visit the
government's National Institute on Drug Abuse web site (www.drugabuse.gov)
to research those answers yourself.

Stewart

Old April 27th 05, 08:16 AM
james

Dwight Stewart wrote:

Perhaps I'm mistaken, I'm not aware of any "dry" towns, counties, or
states, today. Some areas still restrict the sale of alcohol on Sundays, but
have no unique restrictions throughout the rest of the week.

I can show you several, including my hometown, and quite a few others.

I could show you everything from completely dry (unlawful to possess
alcohol within the township), to "3.2" (all alcoholic beverages over
3.2% alcohol are forbidden, and no transportation across county or state
lines whatsoever), to "dry" meaning no liquor or beer or wine is sold in
any store, while some places allow private clubs (but not restaurants)
to serve beer or wine (but not liquor).

Of course, where I live now, every gas station pretty much sells hard
liquor.