Nikon D80 or Fuji FinePix S3 Pro?

Old August 16th 07, 06:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Fortitudo Dei

Default Nikon D80 or Fuji FinePix S3 Pro?

Greetings,

I've been using a compact digital for a few years (currently using a
Canon G7), and now want to finally replace my N90x (F90s) 35mm SLR
with a DSLR. I was originally thinking about a Nikon D80 (body only as
to re-use my SLR lenses), but a couple of local retailers are
currently selling brand-new S3 Pro bodies for slightly less than a
D80. I realise that the S3 Pro has been superseded by the S5 and would
now be regarded as being "old", however with a young family, I can't
afford an S5 (or a D200 - unlike when I was still a bachelor...).
I'm quite taken by the S3 Pro in part because slightly larger size,
the vertical grip which I became very fond of on my N90x (I have large
hands) and its build quality. I also note that the S3 Pro is being
sold as a 12 MP camera though I gather the retailer may be massaging
the truth somewhat. I especially enjoy portraiture and available-light
photography. Does the newer technology of the D80 make that much
difference?

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Old August 16th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tomm42

On Aug 16, 1:59 am, Fortitudo Dei wrote:
[...]

The S3 is a 6mp camera that because of the design of the chip can make
a 12mp extrapolated image. The result is more like a 8 or maybe 10mp,
making it about the equal of the D80. The Fuji also has a greater
dynamic range angain due to the chip. The camera itself is an old
design using the N80 camera as its base, has several flaws. But the
chip would sell it to me. The pluses of the D80 are a better designed
camera, 10mp without extrapolation. But some folks think the Fuji's
12mp extrapolation is better than the native 6mp. The Fuji is noted
for having some of the best out of camera jpegs. But if you want 16
bits to maximize the dynamic range you get a huge RAW file, 25mb.
I still think I'd go with the Fuji, just a more interesting camera.

Tom