A Photography forum. PhotoBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PhotoBanter.com forum » Digital Photography » Digital Photography
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #221  
Old April 20th 18, 02:46 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system
Your Name[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 98
Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

On 2018-04-19 21:41:21 +0000, Alan Baker said:
On 2018-04-19 2:18 PM, Your Name wrote:
On 2018-04-19 18:01:16 +0000, Alan Baker said:

As agreed, it's in PowerPoint, which everyone has & knows how to use.

Everyone does NOT have it, and many who have it know nothing about it.

Again you brazenly fabricate what you don't know.

I do know that there are lots of people who don't have Microsoft Office.

And of those who have it, most of them use Word and Excel.


PowerPoint is often used as a stand-in DTP app for making things like
in-house brochures, certificates, etc. because it's easier to use than
Word's awful "layout" capabilities.


I know that is sometimes done...


...and certainly Word IS awful at it...

...but most people-the vast majority-still don't use PowerPoint even if
they do have Office installed.

'Sof****ch also looked more deeply at how people were using each
application by dividing users into four categories; heavy users, light
editors, viewers (i.e. people who looked at documents but did nothing
else) and inactive users who didn't use the program at all.

Here the results were even more stark, with 29 percent of users either
never using Excel/Word or only using it to view documents; for
PowerPoint the percentage was an astonishing 70 percent. For Word, a
further 62 percent were classed as light users, while another 53
percent of Excel users fell into this category.

As to PowerPoint, it was easier in the end to say who was using it than
who wasn't - only about one in twenty could described as heavy users
even when applying a low threshold of what defined this type of usage.'

https://www.techworld.com/news/security/microsoft-office-applications-barely-used-by-many-employees-new-study-shows-3514565/


It does have to be remembered that PowerPoint is designed to make
presentations (as well as used for in-house DTP), so in reality is a
niche market. Few people want or need to do presentations, but far more
will want to type up a letter or whatever in Word.

Excel, although designed as a spreadsheet for manipulating numbers, is
also used by a lot of people as a simple database, especially for doing
mail merges and labels via Word.

Every time I update MS Office, it insists on putting back OneNote and
Outlook, which I then have to delete because I don't use them and don't
want them. Those two apps probably have even lower usage numbers on the
Mac.





  #222  
Old April 20th 18, 03:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
Alan Baker
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 66
Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint withfonts?

On 2018-04-19 5:32 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Thu, 19 Apr 2018 15:48:38 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:

Thanks for explaining to Alan that I only tell the truth.


Like the "truth" that the Mac version of PowerPoint would fail on a
document with embedded fonts?


Alan,
You seem to be exactly like *nospam* playing your silly semantic games.
What is it about Apple Apologists that they can't admit simple facts?

Everyone knows that the Windows version of MS Office embeds fonts such that
*everyone* who touches the document has full access to the fonts, simply by
virtue of having the document.

That's a fact.
That you Apple Apologists hate that fact doesn't make it not a fact.

Likewise, everyone knows that the Mac version of MS Office just doesn't
respect the fonts that are embedded in that very same document. This is
common knowledge.

That you Apple Apologists have this strange propensity to hate facts that
everyone already knows about, is one thing ...

But then for you to play the same silly semantic games trying to dance
around that fact just proves that you Apple Apologists are all the same.

You Apple Apologists have zero technical expertise.
All you can do is punch buttons.

So all you *can* do is play your silly semantic games.

You keep admonishing to "hire a professional spaghetti boiler" when all
we're doing is changing text for heaven's sake.


Yet screwing it up badly.


All the Windows files work fine until they touch the Mac.
That you Apple Apologists hate that fact doesn't make it not a fact.

We don't need vector graphics, for example, for a sign.


You DO need vector graphics, twit.


With a vinyl printer? For a 12x24-inch sign.

*Are you nuts?*
Or just stupid?

I've been gracious by alotting you a fifth-grade mentality.

Your vocabulary proves you haven't matured past about third grade.

Which is a non-difference if you can distribute the font to all those
same people...


All you Apple Apologists do is dance around the fact that the Mac MS Office
is basically non functional when compared to the Windows MS Office in the
simple functional task of respecting embedded fonts.

That you Apple Apologists hate that fact doesn't make it not a fact.


What fact is there in this?

You declared the Mac version of PowerPoint couldn't handle documents
with fonts embedded.

That is wrong.


There is nothing about the Mac that can't handle fonts embedded in
documents, twit.


Your third-grade mentality is showing again when you complain about a fact
that everyone already knows about, which is that the Mac MS Office lacks
the functionality of the Windows MS Office.


Sorry, but must I post the link to the official Microsoft page about
this for you?


That you Apple Apologists hate that fact doesn't make it not a fact.

And if there is a problem with the file you give it, that's hardly
Illustrators problem.


There's nothing wrong with the file we created on Windows.


So you say...

....but then you admit you actually don't know much about this stuff.

It's only when that file touches the Mac that problems arise.

That you Apple Apologists hate that fact doesn't make it not a fact.

It's only when YOU touched the files that there was a problem.


The files work great on Windows.


So you say...

....but then you admit you actually don't know much about this stuff.

It's only when the files touch the Mac that problems arise.

That you Apple Apologists hate that fact doesn't make it not a fact.


  #223  
Old April 20th 18, 07:26 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
Your Name[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 98
Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

On 2018-04-20 02:12:47 +0000, Alan Baker said:
snip

You declared the Mac version of PowerPoint couldn't handle documents
with fonts embedded.

That is wrong.


No, that is a correct fact. The Mac version of PowerPoint cannot embed
fonts and cannot read fonts embedded using the Windows version.

It's one of many differences between the various MS Office options
(Windows, Mac, iPad, Android, online). The most obvious difference is
of course no Mac versions of Access or Publisher.

  #224  
Old April 20th 18, 07:47 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
Alan Baker
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 66
Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint withfonts?

On 2018-04-19 11:26 PM, Your Name wrote:
On 2018-04-20 02:12:47 +0000, Alan Baker said:
snip

You declared the Mac version of PowerPoint couldn't handle documents
with fonts embedded.

That is wrong.


No, that is a correct fact. The Mac version of PowerPoint cannot embed
fonts and cannot read fonts embedded using the Windows version.


I'm sorry, but that is incorrect.

While it cannot embed fonts, the Mac version of PowerPoint reads
embedded fonts just fine.

'PowerPoint 2016 for Mac correctly displays fonts that were embedded by
someone using a device running Windows, but it doesn't allow you to
embed fonts.'

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/can-you-embed-fonts-in-powerpoint-2016-for-mac-53046a60-0111-4ca4-bb58-26be3926a9d3


It's one of many differences between the various MS Office options
(Windows, Mac, iPad, Android, online). The most obvious difference is of
course no Mac versions of Access or Publisher.


  #225  
Old April 20th 18, 08:20 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps
Your Name[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 98
Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

On 2018-04-20 06:47:18 +0000, Alan Baker said:

On 2018-04-19 11:26 PM, Your Name wrote:
On 2018-04-20 02:12:47 +0000, Alan Baker said:
snip

You declared the Mac version of PowerPoint couldn't handle documents
with fonts embedded.

That is wrong.


No, that is a correct fact. The Mac version of PowerPoint cannot embed
fonts and cannot read fonts embedded using the Windows version.


I'm sorry, but that is incorrect.

While it cannot embed fonts, the Mac version of PowerPoint reads
embedded fonts just fine.

'PowerPoint 2016 for Mac correctly displays fonts that were embedded by
someone using a device running Windows, but it doesn't allow you to
embed fonts.'

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/can-you-embed-fonts-in-powerpoint-2016-for-mac-53046a60-0111-4ca4-bb58-26be3926a9d3


Well, I'd trust what Microsloth says about as far as I can spit them. :-\
According to many other places, it doesn't work. A couple of examples:

"Natively, the Mac PowerPoint will not embed fonts into presentation files.
Nor will it display fonts that were embedded using PowerPoint for Windows."
- Quora.com (22 Nov 2016)
https://www.quora.com/Can-you-embed-...t-2016-for-Mac


"Mac PowerPoint can't embed fonts, and it can't use fonts that have been
embedded by a Windows version of PowerPoint. That's a real pity and a real
impediment to cross-platform compatibility."
- PPTFAQ.com (30 Nov 2016)
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00076_Embedding_fonts.htm


There are places that say it does work for *some* types of fonts, but
not others, and you get no indication about which will or won't work.


  #226  
Old April 20th 18, 03:39 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
Jolly Roger[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 164
Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint withfonts?

On 2018-04-20, Alan Baker wrote:
On 2018-04-19 11:26 PM, Your Name wrote:
On 2018-04-20 02:12:47 +0000, Alan Baker said:
snip

You declared the Mac version of PowerPoint couldn't handle documents
with fonts embedded.

That is wrong.


No, that is a correct fact. The Mac version of PowerPoint cannot embed
fonts and cannot read fonts embedded using the Windows version.


I'm sorry, but that is incorrect.

While it cannot embed fonts, the Mac version of PowerPoint reads
embedded fonts just fine.

'PowerPoint 2016 for Mac correctly displays fonts that were embedded by
someone using a device running Windows, but it doesn't allow you to
embed fonts.'

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/can-you-embed-fonts-in-powerpoint-2016-for-mac-53046a60-0111-4ca4-bb58-26be3926a9d3


The forum link on that page also says full support is coming in a future
update to Powerpoint for macOS. And if you're really impatient, there's
another program that will let you embed fonts in Powerpoint
presentations on macOS today:

https://www.presentationfontembedder.com

--
E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my ravenous SPAM filter.
I often ignore posts from Google. Use a real news client instead.

JR
  #227  
Old April 20th 18, 07:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
Neil[_9_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 359
Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint withfonts?

On 4/19/2018 6:41 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Thu, 19 Apr 2018 17:32:44 -0400, schrieb Neil:

That may have been one of his "bad snips" from a post of mine.


Thanks for explaining to Alan that I only tell the truth.

bad snips which distort the meaning, reference or context are lies.

I just posted this, to you Neil, on the Windows group.

Better yet, go to college as an arts major with a focus on the graphic
arts.


That's like saying you can't boil spaghetti without going to a culinary
arts college.

As I responded to you in the Windows group, you are completely clueless
about the field, which is the root of your problem. The difference
between us is that people have paid me well to accomplish what you're
unable to do. So, you can continue to insult those who know the graphic
arts with your ignorant analogies and waste as much of your time
fumbling around with things you don't understand, because it affects
nothing at all on my end.

--
best regards,

Neil
  #228  
Old April 20th 18, 10:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
Jolly Roger[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 164
Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint withfonts?

On 2018-04-20, Neil wrote:
On 4/19/2018 6:41 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Thu, 19 Apr 2018 17:32:44 -0400, schrieb Neil:

That may have been one of his "bad snips" from a post of mine.


Thanks for explaining to Alan that I only tell the truth.

bad snips which distort the meaning, reference or context are lies.


It's all he's got. Poor thing.

I just posted this, to you Neil, on the Windows group.

Better yet, go to college as an arts major with a focus on the graphic
arts.


That's like saying you can't boil spaghetti without going to a culinary
arts college.

As I responded to you in the Windows group, you are completely clueless
about the field, which is the root of your problem. The difference
between us is that people have paid me well to accomplish what you're
unable to do. So, you can continue to insult those who know the graphic
arts with your ignorant analogies and waste as much of your time
fumbling around with things you don't understand, because it affects
nothing at all on my end.


As a former professional prepress composer and publisher (analog and
digital), I always find his posts about this topic quite humorous. He
has a really nasty habit of artificially puffing himself up while
belittling anyone who actually knows better than him on a given subject.
He also switches nyms and obscures headers like there's no tomorrow to
avoid kill filters. The regulars in the Apple news groups can tell you
that, base on his numerous threads where it is very clear he doesn't
know what he is talking about. Get used to it. You will no doubt now be
labelled by him as some sort of dimwitted apologist until the end of
time. ; )

--
E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my ravenous SPAM filter.
I often ignore posts from Google. Use a real news client instead.

JR
  #229  
Old April 21st 18, 01:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
Neil[_9_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 359
Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint withfonts?

On 4/20/2018 5:05 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
On 2018-04-20, Neil wrote:
On 4/19/2018 6:41 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Thu, 19 Apr 2018 17:32:44 -0400, schrieb Neil:

That may have been one of his "bad snips" from a post of mine.

Thanks for explaining to Alan that I only tell the truth.

bad snips which distort the meaning, reference or context are lies.


It's all he's got. Poor thing.

I just posted this, to you Neil, on the Windows group.

Better yet, go to college as an arts major with a focus on the graphic
arts.

That's like saying you can't boil spaghetti without going to a culinary
arts college.

As I responded to you in the Windows group, you are completely clueless
about the field, which is the root of your problem. The difference
between us is that people have paid me well to accomplish what you're
unable to do. So, you can continue to insult those who know the graphic
arts with your ignorant analogies and waste as much of your time
fumbling around with things you don't understand, because it affects
nothing at all on my end.


As a former professional prepress composer and publisher (analog and
digital), I always find his posts about this topic quite humorous. He
has a really nasty habit of artificially puffing himself up while
belittling anyone who actually knows better than him on a given subject.
He also switches nyms and obscures headers like there's no tomorrow to
avoid kill filters. The regulars in the Apple news groups can tell you
that, base on his numerous threads where it is very clear he doesn't
know what he is talking about. Get used to it. You will no doubt now be
labelled by him as some sort of dimwitted apologist until the end of
time. ; )

I think you're right... he's on the edge of tossing such labels at me
now. BTW, I worked my way through engineering school in my father's
prepress shop in the '60s, where I handled the darkroom activities
including process camera (my first experience with a 24" camera with
Zeiss lenses), screens, masks, etc. In the '70s I kept his digital
typography machines running, so by the '80s I understood what graphic
arts applications like Illustrator and Photoshop (actually, there were
several apps years before Adobe existed) were trying to emulate and
replace. But, the really important knowledge has nothing to do with
hardware or software; it's the principles of layout, typography, etc.,
which, even for simple signs is valuable.

--
best regards,

Neil
  #230  
Old April 21st 18, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
Jolly Roger[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 164
Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint withfonts?

On 2018-04-21, Neil wrote:

BTW, I worked my way through engineering school in my father's
prepress shop in the '60s, where I handled the darkroom activities
including process camera (my first experience with a 24" camera with
Zeiss lenses), screens, masks, etc. In the '70s I kept his digital
typography machines running, so by the '80s I understood what graphic
arts applications like Illustrator and Photoshop (actually, there were
several apps years before Adobe existed) were trying to emulate and
replace. But, the really important knowledge has nothing to do with
hardware or software; it's the principles of layout, typography, etc.,
which, even for simple signs is valuable.


Flashback to fond memories of those big, old, clunky cameras. I've taken
so many halftone and process shots I've lost count (multiple thousands).
At one point I took tens to hundreds daily. I naturally got to be pretty
good at it in short order. Darkroom work is fun work! : ) Like you (and
probably most of us who were professionals in the field back then, I
also got into digital prepress in the 80s. Linotype CRTronics
were...fun?, but when Quark, Photoshop, and Illustrator came along, the
real fun began. And you're absolutely right: things like knowing when
and how to trap things so the pressman isn't pulling his hair out, or
modifying files without causing fonts/etc to be converted into paths, is
the real art. Knowledge like that is lost on many people who claim to
know what they are doing. "Ragnusen's" dog poop road signs are a shining
example of that. ; )

--
E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my ravenous SPAM filter.
I often ignore posts from Google. Use a real news client instead.

JR
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Technical & legal background using copyrighted fonts in custom road signs in PowerPoint Chaya Eve Digital Photography 238 September 17th 17 05:17 PM
70+ Free Pixel Fonts [email protected] Digital Photography 0 May 6th 06 04:08 PM
FS: ART Graphics Plug ins Backgrounds Fonts & More CD-ROM Seals4Deals Digital Photo Equipment For Sale 0 March 9th 06 09:53 PM
FS: ART Graphics Plug ins Backgrounds Fonts & More CD-ROM Seals4Deals Digital Photo Equipment For Sale 0 February 23rd 06 10:31 PM
FS: Photoshop 6, Illustrator 9, more for Mac Josh Renaud General Equipment For Sale 0 December 3rd 03 06:28 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 PhotoBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.