A Photography forum. PhotoBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PhotoBanter.com forum » Digital Photography » Digital Photography
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old April 3rd 18, 03:57 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 21,790
Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| But, the link provided in this thread was not directly from Adobe.
|
| Therefore, is downloading from the site mentioned in this thread legal?

I wouldn't. They're no longer giving it away,
technically. I also didn't try the download link,
so I don't know whether it goes to Adobe. I
also didn't see where the OP said he got his
copy from there. How do we know he didn't
use the legal download? Or sign up at Adobe?


there is no legal download for cs2 except for those who already own cs2
nor was there ever such a download. period. full stop.

| It seems to be a quirk of the American psyche that
| we love a witch hunt. The mob wants to decide who's
| the evil one and pass harsh judgement, so we can be
| sure we're safe.
|
|
| Or, some people respect the intellectual property of the developers more.

You think so? I'm a developer myself. I've written
shareware for about 19 years and used to make
a decent side income from it during the PC craze
of 2000-ish. Very, very, very, very few people pay
for software if they don't have to. When I suggested
a donation I got a handful of nice letters with checks
(8 to be exact), despite 10s of thousands of downloads.
When I started charging I got more payments, but
many, many more people were using "cracks".


that could be because your software is garbage.

people are happy to pay for quality products and support the
developers, however, they don't like to pay for crap.

Companies like Microsoft, Apple and Adobe
are all grossly overcharging because they've managed
to create monoply situations and they have businesses
over a barrel. How do I know they're overcharging?
Because they're among the most profitable companies
in the world and all they do is make software. When
you sell a bestseller book it goes to paperback and gets
cheaper, not more expensive.


nonsense. being profitable does not mean they're overcharging.

they make stuff a lot of people want to buy.

if they were actually overcharging, sales would be weak to nonexistent
and they would have to slash prices to move dead product.

Exxon/Mobil has to drill oil wells, run tankers, clean
up spills.... how is it that Exxon/Mobil and Apple are
both near the top in profits? How is it that Apple
managed to collect a $215B tax evasion stash offshore
in the space of 7 years? *Billion!* That's about $30B/year.
And that's only the money they're hiding to cheat on taxes.


apple has not evaded paying *any* taxes. apple pays every tax dollar
they owe.

holding money offshore is *not* tax evasion and many companies do it.
it's completely *legal*.

keep in mind that more than half of apple's revenue is from *outside*
the usa.

also keep in mind that apple is the only major company (so far) to
repatriate the money under the new tax code.

It's only their offshore tax evasion, not their total
profits. And you feel sorry for them? Of course, Apple
do claim to have invented round corners. Should I send them
a royalty when I use sandpaper? Do you suppose poor
Timmy Cook is going hungry because he loves his Apple
flock so much that he lets them abuse him? Somehow
I'm just not convinced of that, despite Cook's histrionics
in the media.


i see you misunderstand yet another patent.

Sharing software was popular years ago, before
online activation, simply because it was so expensive.


in other words, piracy.

Someone paid $300 for Windows, $600 for Photoshop,
maybe $600 for MS Office. The prices are crazy.


windows is bundled with computers so people never paid $300 and the
home version was less anyway.

photoshop is professional level software and pays for itself very
quickly. the consumer version of photoshop is under $100.

I can buy a Windows PC today for $300.


a ****ty one, sure.

a decent windows pc suitable for photoshop, video editing, cad, etc.,
will cost a lot more than $300. high end pcs are more than 10x that
price.

in the $300 price range, a chromebook or an ipad is a *much* better
choice.

Yet it costs
the same to buy a Pro copy of Windows. (The minimum
fee to get a copy I can move to my next computer.)
So naturally people would share their disks. Was that
wrong? If so then why isn't exploiting a monopoly
market wrong?


two very, very different things.

(Bill Gates famously tried to get his buddy Warren
Buffett to invest in MS, explaining that they get a
"Windows tax" on every PC sold. A can't-lose
proposition. Humorously, apple is now one of Buffet's
favorites.)


buffet likes apple because microsoft dropped the ball and apple is
running with it.

microsoft botched windows 8, windows phone was a complete failure,
ballmer was fired, sinofsky is gone and now myerson is gone.




Meanwhile, this is not a morality court. The topic
is about transferring fonts.


actually it's about making a street sign in the most convoluted method
possible, using pirated software and likely pirated fonts.
  #92  
Old April 3rd 18, 07:10 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital
RJH
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 168
Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint withfonts?

On 03/04/2018 15:57, nospam wrote:
In article , Mayayana
wrote:

snip

Exxon/Mobil has to drill oil wells, run tankers, clean
up spills.... how is it that Exxon/Mobil and Apple are
both near the top in profits? How is it that Apple
managed to collect a $215B tax evasion stash offshore
in the space of 7 years? *Billion!* That's about $30B/year.
And that's only the money they're hiding to cheat on taxes.


apple has not evaded paying *any* taxes. apple pays every tax dollar
they owe.


I think s/he meant tax *avoidance*. And Apple most certainly does avoid tax.

I would argue, quite successfully, that Apple pays nothing like every
tax dollar they should.


--
Cheers, Rob
  #93  
Old April 3rd 18, 07:35 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps, rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15,500
Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

On Apr 3, 2018, RJH wrote
(in article ):

On 03/04/2018 15:57, nospam wrote:
In , Mayayana
wrote:

snip

Exxon/Mobil has to drill oil wells, run tankers, clean
up spills.... how is it that Exxon/Mobil and Apple are
both near the top in profits? How is it that Apple
managed to collect a $215B tax evasion stash offshore
in the space of 7 years? *Billion!* That's about $30B/year.
And that's only the money they're hiding to cheat on taxes.


apple has not evaded paying *any* taxes. apple pays every tax dollar
they owe.


I think s/he meant tax *avoidance*. And Apple most certainly does avoid tax.

I would argue, quite successfully, that Apple pays nothing like every
tax dollar they should.


Trump set the trend, and almost everybody, including us peons, and Apple pay
more taxes that he does.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

  #94  
Old April 3rd 18, 07:53 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 21,790
Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

In article , RJH wrote:

Exxon/Mobil has to drill oil wells, run tankers, clean
up spills.... how is it that Exxon/Mobil and Apple are
both near the top in profits? How is it that Apple
managed to collect a $215B tax evasion stash offshore
in the space of 7 years? *Billion!* That's about $30B/year.
And that's only the money they're hiding to cheat on taxes.


apple has not evaded paying *any* taxes. apple pays every tax dollar
they owe.


I think s/he meant tax *avoidance*. And Apple most certainly does avoid tax.


no they don't. apple does *not* evade or avoid paying taxes. period.

apple, like other companies as well as individuals, pay the taxes they
owe, however, they *minimize* it to the extent that the tax code
allows. in fact, as a public company, they're legally *obligated* to do
so.

judge learned hand,
http://intltax.typepad.com/intltax_b...x-quotes-4-5.h
tml
Any one may so arrange his affairs that his taxes shall be as low
as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which will best
pay the Treasury; there is not even a patriotic duty to increase
one's taxes.
Gregory v. Helvering, 69 F.2d 809, 810 (2d Cir. 1934)

Over and over again courts have said that there is nothing sinister
in so arranging one's affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible.
Everybody does so, rich or poor; and all do right, for nobody owes
any public duty to pay more than the law demands: taxes are enforced
exactions, not voluntary contributions. To demand more in the name of
morals is mere cant.
Commissioner v. Newman, 159 F.2d 848, 851 (2d Cir. 1947) - dissenting
opinion

I would argue, quite successfully, that Apple pays nothing like every
tax dollar they should.


you would fail incredibly hard at such an argument.

apple might not pay what *you* think they should but that's very
different.

*you* didn't write the tax code, so what *you* think apple or any other
company should pay is completely irrelevant.

and why single out apple? amazon, who paid nothing compared to the ~11b
that apple paid in fy'17, along with microsoft, facebook, google, cisco
and the rest, all use the tax code to their advantage.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...2017-but-paid-
no-federal-taxes
Jeff Bezosı sprawling e-commerce giant Amazon reportedly raked in
more than $5.6 billion in U.S. profits in 2017, but despite that, the
company essentially paid $0 in federal income taxes.
  #95  
Old April 3rd 18, 11:56 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital
Mayayana
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,505
Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

"Lewis" wrote

| That is a lie, they pay ever dollar they are required to, just like
| everyone else.
|

If you want to split hairs, yes. No one's been
arrested. They avoid bringing it into the country
as a way of evading taxes. I think you know that.
If you don't it's easy enough to find the ugly details.

Though I think I read they were going to bring
some back because of the big corporate tax break.




  #96  
Old April 4th 18, 12:07 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 21,790
Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| That is a lie, they pay ever dollar they are required to, just like
| everyone else.
|

If you want to split hairs, yes. No one's been
arrested.


nor will anyone be arrested.
everything is completely *legal*.

They avoid bringing it into the country
as a way of evading taxes.


nope.

I think you know that.
If you don't it's easy enough to find the ugly details.


yes it is easy to find the details, except they're not what you claim
them to be. no surprise there. they never are.

Though I think I read they were going to bring
some back because of the big corporate tax break.


they are in the process of doing just that. more details will be
announced in 4 weeks.

other companies with foreign assets, including microsoft, have *not*
done that, at least not yet.

now who is the bad guy?
  #97  
Old April 4th 18, 02:40 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital
RJH
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 168
Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint withfonts?

On 03/04/2018 19:53, nospam wrote:
In article , RJH wrote:

Exxon/Mobil has to drill oil wells, run tankers, clean
up spills.... how is it that Exxon/Mobil and Apple are
both near the top in profits? How is it that Apple
managed to collect a $215B tax evasion stash offshore
in the space of 7 years? *Billion!* That's about $30B/year.
And that's only the money they're hiding to cheat on taxes.

apple has not evaded paying *any* taxes. apple pays every tax dollar
they owe.


I think s/he meant tax *avoidance*. And Apple most certainly does avoid tax.


no they don't. apple does *not* evade or avoid paying taxes. period.


They avoid paying tax. Period. Why did they shift off-shoring tax from
Ireland to Jersey? Partly to save face. But to save face over avoiding
$14B in tax. By avoiding it in a more obscure way.

apple, like other companies as well as individuals, pay the taxes they
owe, however, they *minimize* it to the extent that the tax code
allows. in fact, as a public company, they're legally *obligated* to do
so.


Nonsense. There is no law that says a company cannot pay tax at a full
and fair local rate.

judge learned hand,
http://intltax.typepad.com/intltax_b...x-quotes-4-5.h
tml
Any one may so arrange his affairs that his taxes shall be as low
as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which will best
pay the Treasury; there is not even a patriotic duty to increase
one's taxes.
Gregory v. Helvering, 69 F.2d 809, 810 (2d Cir. 1934)


May? Why not must, if it's 'the law'
?
Over and over again courts have said that there is nothing sinister
in so arranging one's affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible.
Everybody does so, rich or poor; and all do right, for nobody owes
any public duty to pay more than the law demands: taxes are enforced
exactions, not voluntary contributions. To demand more in the name of
morals is mere cant.
Commissioner v. Newman, 159 F.2d 848, 851 (2d Cir. 1947) - dissenting
opinion


Tax *is* a moral construct. There is nothing intrinsic or innate about
tax, and law is a feeble attempt to uphold an ethical position - that
tax is paid on a proportion of profit (in this case).

And using a legal case to underpin a legal argument is hardly the point
at issue. Avoidance is legal. Avoidance is also about moral and ethical
issues. Rationality, if you like.

I'd happily revise my opinion in the light of a coherent moral or
ethical position on Apple's behaviour.

I would argue, quite successfully, that Apple pays nothing like every
tax dollar they should.


you would fail incredibly hard at such an argument.


Just internet search "apple tax avoidance" (in quotes if you want - 30k+
hits). It really isn't my argument.

apple might not pay what *you* think they should but that's very
different.


Again, it's not just me. I may well be in a minority, but I don't think
I am.

*you* didn't write the tax code, so what *you* think apple or any other
company should pay is completely irrelevant.

and why single out apple? amazon, who paid nothing compared to the ~11b
that apple paid in fy'17, along with microsoft, facebook, google, cisco
and the rest, all use the tax code to their advantage.


Agreed. They all avoid tax. I'm singling out Apple because they're the
object of discussion. I don't consider them to be the worst by a long chalk.

I avoid tax sometimes, and it's wrong.

I really do have a problem with Cook on this, and it's one of the few
occasions where he gets aggressive because he knows he's wrong. There's
no need. Apple is a business whose prime aim is the accumulation of
money and shareholder return. Like a lot of business. Other concerns -
such as workers' protection, tax paid in the spirit of community,
sourcing raw materials sustainably - are secondary. Just say so. People
will still buy Apple.

I know all this and I do.


--
Cheers, Rob
  #98  
Old April 4th 18, 03:20 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 21,790
Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

In article , RJH wrote:

Exxon/Mobil has to drill oil wells, run tankers, clean
up spills.... how is it that Exxon/Mobil and Apple are
both near the top in profits? How is it that Apple
managed to collect a $215B tax evasion stash offshore
in the space of 7 years? *Billion!* That's about $30B/year.
And that's only the money they're hiding to cheat on taxes.

apple has not evaded paying *any* taxes. apple pays every tax dollar
they owe.


I think s/he meant tax *avoidance*. And Apple most certainly does avoid
tax.


no they don't. apple does *not* evade or avoid paying taxes. period.


They avoid paying tax. Period.


nope.

apple follows the tax code to reduce their tax liability, just like
other businesses and individuals do, which is not only legal, but smart
business.

apple does *not* fudge the numbers to avoid paying taxes. that's
illegal and stupid.

unfortunately, there are a few businesses who don't pay what they owe
and they eventually get fined or even shut down.

here's two:
https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...n-3-Five-Guys-
Locations-Citing-Failure-to-Pay-Taxes-462115413.html
The D.C. government has ordered the shutdown of three Five Guys
restaurants in the city because the owners failed to pay sales taxes,
officials say.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/03/...-bar-in-portla
nd-to-serve-4-months-for-failing-to-pay-taxes/
The owner of a landmark bar and restaurant on Portlandıs waterfront
will serve four months in jail and pay more than $1.3 million in
restitution for failing to turn over most of her sales taxes to the
state, and for not paying her personal and corporate Maine income
taxes, over a period of seven years.

Why did they shift off-shoring tax from
Ireland to Jersey? Partly to save face. But to save face over avoiding
$14B in tax. By avoiding it in a more obscure way.


nope.

apple, like other companies as well as individuals, pay the taxes they
owe, however, they *minimize* it to the extent that the tax code
allows. in fact, as a public company, they're legally *obligated* to do
so.


Nonsense. There is no law that says a company cannot pay tax at a full
and fair local rate.


public companies have a fiduciary obligation to their shareholders.

judge learned hand,
http://intltax.typepad.com/intltax_b...x-quotes-4-5.h
tml
Any one may so arrange his affairs that his taxes shall be as low
as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which will best
pay the Treasury; there is not even a patriotic duty to increase
one's taxes.
Gregory v. Helvering, 69 F.2d 809, 810 (2d Cir. 1934)


May? Why not must, if it's 'the law'?


read it again.

Over and over again courts have said that there is nothing sinister
in so arranging one's affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible.
Everybody does so, rich or poor; and all do right, for nobody owes
any public duty to pay more than the law demands: taxes are enforced
exactions, not voluntary contributions. To demand more in the name of
morals is mere cant.
Commissioner v. Newman, 159 F.2d 848, 851 (2d Cir. 1947) - dissenting
opinion


Tax *is* a moral construct. There is nothing intrinsic or innate about
tax, and law is a feeble attempt to uphold an ethical position - that
tax is paid on a proportion of profit (in this case).

And using a legal case to underpin a legal argument is hardly the point
at issue. Avoidance is legal. Avoidance is also about moral and ethical
issues. Rationality, if you like.


they're not avoiding anything.

I'd happily revise my opinion in the light of a coherent moral or
ethical position on Apple's behaviour.


doubtful.

I would argue, quite successfully, that Apple pays nothing like every
tax dollar they should.


you would fail incredibly hard at such an argument.


Just internet search "apple tax avoidance" (in quotes if you want - 30k+
hits). It really isn't my argument.


just internet search "flat earth", 11.6 million hits w/o quotes, 7.8
million with.

that's two orders of magnitude higher than apple tax avoidance, so it
*really* must be true.

if number of hits in a search is your metric to validate something,
then you have *far* bigger problems.

apple might not pay what *you* think they should but that's very
different.


Again, it's not just me. I may well be in a minority, but I don't think
I am.


minority/majority isn't the issue.

apple is paying their *legal* tax obligation. period.

paying *more* than what they legally owe is stupid.

do you pay more than what you owe?? do you take deductions?

*you* didn't write the tax code, so what *you* think apple or any other
company should pay is completely irrelevant.

and why single out apple? amazon, who paid nothing compared to the ~11b
that apple paid in fy'17, along with microsoft, facebook, google, cisco
and the rest, all use the tax code to their advantage.


Agreed. They all avoid tax. I'm singling out Apple because they're the
object of discussion. I don't consider them to be the worst by a long chalk.

I avoid tax sometimes, and it's wrong.


then you're a hypocrite.

I really do have a problem with Cook on this, and it's one of the few
occasions where he gets aggressive because he knows he's wrong.


he's not wrong. he's just a whole lot smarter than you are about how to
run a business.

There's
no need. Apple is a business whose prime aim is the accumulation of
money and shareholder return. Like a lot of business.


like every public corporation and nearly all private ones.

Other concerns -
such as workers' protection, tax paid in the spirit of community,
sourcing raw materials sustainably - are secondary. Just say so. People
will still buy Apple.

I know all this and I do.


too bad you don't understand any of it.
  #99  
Old April 4th 18, 03:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system
Ragnusen Ultred
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 57
Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

Am Tue, 03 Apr 2018 10:57:28 -0400, schrieb nospam:

And the Mac just can't do that.


oh yes it can.


Once again you just guess, where you have a 50% chance of being correct,
and you're wrong. Even the monkey finds the bannas under the box more often
than you would.

If we had anyone on the Mac out of the score of people who edited this
PowerPoint file with embedded fonts without having to deal with installing
system fonts, exactly ZERO of those hypothetical Mac users would have seen
the special fonts in the given template.

Do you know why nospam?
I think you do.

You just play your silly semantic games, where I only speak fact.

Why do you Apple users play silly games when confronted with facts?
I don't know why.

I just know that you do.
Here's a classic case, for example, of your same silly game.
Android Fact:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/11/2wifianalyzer.jpg
Apple Fact:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/11/wifi_sweetspots.jpg

Silly games played by the Apple users when confronted with facts:
https://youtu.be/7QaABa6DFIo

Proof of more of your silly games when confronted with fact, over he
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/-T7FEXIdU9Q/qbvz5DeaAgAJ

  #100  
Old April 4th 18, 03:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 21,790
Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

In article , Ragnusen Ultred
wrote:


And the Mac just can't do that.


oh yes it can.


Once again you just guess,


oh, it's not a guess. it's trivial to make a street sign on a mac,
without the cluster**** that you've created.

just because *you* can't figure out how doesn't mean it's impossible.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Technical & legal background using copyrighted fonts in custom road signs in PowerPoint Chaya Eve Digital Photography 238 September 17th 17 05:17 PM
70+ Free Pixel Fonts [email protected] Digital Photography 0 May 6th 06 04:08 PM
FS: ART Graphics Plug ins Backgrounds Fonts & More CD-ROM Seals4Deals Digital Photo Equipment For Sale 0 March 9th 06 09:53 PM
FS: ART Graphics Plug ins Backgrounds Fonts & More CD-ROM Seals4Deals Digital Photo Equipment For Sale 0 February 23rd 06 10:31 PM
FS: Photoshop 6, Illustrator 9, more for Mac Josh Renaud General Equipment For Sale 0 December 3rd 03 06:28 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright İ2004-2018 PhotoBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.