Possible to extract high resolution b/w from a raw file?

Old May 15th 11, 05:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Possible to extract high resolution b/w from a raw file?

On Sun, 15 May 2011 04:04:04 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Eric Stevens writes:

It ate the remoras.

That's why it still exists.

And why so many of the remoras don't.

Microsoft now incorporates the services which most of the remorahs
used to provide.

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old May 15th 11, 05:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 14 May 2011 22:11:46 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 5/14/2011 6:57 PM, tony cooper wrote:
On Sun, 15 May 2011 10:12:32 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Sat, 14 May 2011 23:10:39 +0200,
wrote:

Eric Stevens writes:

I don't resent him getting rich. I resent his savage business
practices.

There was nothing savage about his business practices. A lot of people like to
parrot urban legends about him, too.

1. Getting m/c vendors to tie the sale of their m/cs to only the one
operating system was a bit of a shock the first time I encountered it.

2. Embedding lying error messages in MS software which activated when
the software was run on competing operating systems (e.g. DR-DOS).

3. Witholding essential developer's software from companies Microsoft
regarded as a competitor. e.g. A new version of Windows and Word had
been on the market for some six months before Word Perfect was
supplied with version of Visual Basic required by the new version of
Windows. That's when Word got asix month lead on Word Perfect.

There are many more similar examples.

There were many software developers who were much more generous and
sharing of their product's innards. I can't bring any to mind because
their companies are not in existence anymore. I'm sure those people
are happy with new occupations.

Microsoft didn't succeed because Gates was a shark. They succeed
because they created products that people wanted to buy. The
shark-like business practices just stopped the remoras from latching
on.

Microsoft also had superior marketing strategies and gave unparalleled
support to developers.

Not if they were trying to develop a product which Microsoft intended
to compete with.

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old May 15th 11, 11:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 15 May 2011 05:42:51 -0700, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

As far as I know there has never been more than the one operating
system available for Apple. Your bought an Apple, you _needed_ the
Apple OS.

nope. on intel macs, windows is fully supported by apple via boot camp.
for older macs, apple had a port of linux for a while called mklinux.
third parties ported freebsd and others.

I stand corrected. You are quite right. But neither have ever looked
like being a force to be reckoned with.

That has never been the situation with X86 machines. There has always
been a choice of operating systems for them. Microsoft took the line
with OEMs that if they wanted to install an MS operating system they
had to install it on all their machines. You could not get a machine
without an operating system.

true, which is why beos was squashed.

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Old May 15th 11, 03:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 5/14/2011 11:30 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

wrote:

Eric Stevens writes:

[...]

This was an ongoing problem with OS/2. The development tools were
horribly expensive, hence not much application support arose.

I was a Microsoft partner and and a participant in the IBM partner
program. MS paid a lot of attention to the SMB market. IBM acted as if
that market was beneath it. At all times MS made the tools available for
reasonable prices. To this day there are MS tools that you can download
free. When I went back to get a degree in Computer Science, I was able
to get MS development tools for very reasonable prices. After graduation
as part of the ISV program, MS tools were still very reasonable. If IBM
had a similar program I never heard about it.

--
Peter
Old May 15th 11, 07:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

As far as I know there has never been more than the one operating
system available for Apple. Your bought an Apple, you _needed_ the
Apple OS.

nope. on intel macs, windows is fully supported by apple via boot camp.
for older macs, apple had a port of linux for a while called mklinux.
third parties ported freebsd and others.

I stand corrected. You are quite right. But neither have ever looked
like being a force to be reckoned with.

actually, people buy mac laptops just to run windows, although most run
both os x and windows.
Old May 15th 11, 07:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

nospam writes:

nope. on intel macs, windows is fully supported by apple via boot camp.
for older macs, apple had a port of linux for a while called mklinux.
third parties ported freebsd and others.

Can you buy a Mac with no OS, and then install the OS of your choice on the
machine?

what would be the point of that? the attraction of a mac is mac os, but
you can certainly install whatever you want on it, including windows
(which many people do), linux and bsd natively and most anything else
via vmware (os/2, nextstep, beos, etc.). not much point in anything
other than mac os x and windows though.
Old May 15th 11, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 15 May 2011 18:10:26 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

nospam writes:

what would be the point of that? the attraction of a mac is mac os ...

Yup. And what would be the point of buying a PC without Windows? More than 99%
of the market wants Windows. Even when Microsoft was forced to allow
manufacturers to provide the option of another OS, people still wanted
Windows.

At the time I was laking about Windows had not been made public. MS
was climbing from MS-DOS 4 to MS-DOS 6 and were experiencing rapidly
rising competition from DR-DOS in particular. There was also Xenix and
several flavours of UNIX. A number of lesser operating systems were
available and people were still wanting to buy CP/M.

... but you can certainly install whatever you want on it, including
windows (which many people do), linux and bsd natively and most anything
else via vmware (os/2, nextstep, beos, etc.).

But you had to buy MS-DOS whether you wanted it or not. In those days
it was far from being the best of what was available.

Will Apple sell you a Mac without an OS?

Probably not, but they control the whole chain. MS never has.

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old May 15th 11, 09:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 15 May 2011 15:48:10 -0700, nospam
wrote:

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

what would be the point of that? the attraction of a mac is mac os ...

Yup. And what would be the point of buying a PC without Windows? More than 99%
of the market wants Windows. Even when Microsoft was forced to allow
manufacturers to provide the option of another OS, people still wanted
Windows.

it's actually around 90% these days and dropping. apple's sales are
outpacing the market, big time. if you look at specific markets (i.e.,
photography, graphic arts), mac market share is much, much higher.
adobe sells about 50% mac, 50% windows.

... but you can certainly install whatever you want on it, including
windows (which many people do), linux and bsd natively and most anything
else via vmware (os/2, nextstep, beos, etc.).

Will Apple sell you a Mac without an OS?

will dell sell you a pc without an os?

They will offer you a choice of operating systems. See for example
http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?... at=all&ref=ac

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old May 15th 11, 10:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 15 May 2011 15:00:46 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Eric Stevens writes:

As far as I know there has never been more than the one operating
system available for Apple. Your bought an Apple, you _needed_ the
Apple OS.

With one very brief exception, it has never been possible to buy a Mac from
anyone except Apple. If you want a Mac, you have to buy both the hardware and
the software from Apple. Apple licenses the Mac to no one, preventing any form
of competition and enforcing an absolute monopoly on Mac technology.

PCs on the other hand, can be bought from anyone, and you can even build one
yourself. Microsoft has contracted with some manufacturers to pre-install
Windows on their products ..

But that original contract required that if you were a manufacturer
you install only the Microsoft OS (in those days a kludgy version of
MS-DOS) and you had to install it in every machine. You were not
allowed to install any other. Fortunately the courts removed the
restrictions and now manufacturers such as Dell will offer you the
choice of several operating systems. In the days I referred to they
would not have been able to.

but you can also install Windows yourself on any
machine. You have an enormous choice of PC suppliers and sources, but no
choice at all of Mac suppliers.

I will accept your frequent comparisons to Apple the day MS starts
making their own machines. However, you can't undo the past.

This being so, it's interesting to see the persistent criticism of Microsoft
by pathological Microsoft haters. Often they are fans of the Mac, and
conveniently ignore the much more extreme monopolistic practices of Apple.

That has never been the situation with X86 machines. There has always
been a choice of operating systems for them. Microsoft took the line
with OEMs that if they wanted to install an MS operating system they
had to install it on all their machines. You could not get a machine
without an operating system.

OEMs recognized that everyone wanted Windows, so installing it on their
machines wasn't much of a sacrifice. Had a supplier of Linux tried to cut the
same deal, it would have failed, because nobody wants Linux on his machine.

You don't seem to realise that I have been referring to events prior
to Windows (and Linux). Microsoft is much more friendly now but only
because of the intervention of the courts.

But I know of no others which deliberately reported non-existent
errors to discourage users from using a competing OS.

It's just one method of many, and unfortunately widely used. Engineers are
usually opposed to this, but they are overruled by marketroids.

Can you give me another example?

The fact that others might behave in the same way, and that you accept
it, doesn't mean that I can't dislike it.

Of course, but it does mean that implying that only Microsoft does it is
highly misleading.

I never said anything about 'only'.

That's changing the subject. In any case I'm not going to continue
discussing this with someone who chops around and deletes sections of
my post when answering it.

You've continued discussing it thus far.

But now you are leaving the substantive parts of my posts. You weren't
before.

Regards,

Eric Stevens