Focus question

Old August 14th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.35mm
Brian[_5_]

Default Focus question

I have just acquired a Nikon 28-200mm D lens cheap. I've taken a few shots and it's sharp. My
question is, today I went outside with it on my N80 film camera for the first time to take some
cloud formation shots. I have the camera set to single area focus in the center of the screen.
The clouds are white and dark gray mix and lots of interesting formations. No matter what part of
the clouds I point the camera at it it will focus but not at infinity. There's plenty of texture in
the clouds for the lens to lock on to. Even if I set the focus area 50/50 on the white cloud and the
blue sky it focuses shy of infinity. Is this normal ???? The few indoor shots I took with this lens
on my D80 of my dogs are tack sharp. Everything else outdoors I point it at seems to focus ok...
Any suggestions ???

Thanks
Brian
Old August 17th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.35mm
Paul Furman

Brian wrote:
I have just acquired a Nikon 28-200mm D lens cheap. I've taken a few shots and it's sharp. My
question is, today I went outside with it on my N80 film camera for the first time to take some
cloud formation shots. I have the camera set to single area focus in the center of the screen.
The clouds are white and dark gray mix and lots of interesting formations. No matter what part of
the clouds I point the camera at it it will focus but not at infinity. There's plenty of texture in
the clouds for the lens to lock on to. Even if I set the focus area 50/50 on the white cloud and the
blue sky it focuses shy of infinity. Is this normal ???? The few indoor shots I took with this lens
on my D80 of my dogs are tack sharp. Everything else outdoors I point it at seems to focus ok...
Any suggestions ???

I never noticed that problem with a D70 behind that lens.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old August 19th 08, 04:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.35mm
Paul Furman

Brian wrote:
on the white cloud and the
blue sky it focuses shy of infinity. Is this normal ????

It is possible the clouds are close/low.
Try a distant horizon.
Old August 27th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.35mm
Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH

Paul Furman wrote in news:B0rqk.4567$zv7.4304
@flpi143.ffdc.sbc.com:

Brian wrote:
on the white cloud and the
blue sky it focuses shy of infinity. Is this normal ????

It is possible the clouds are close/low.
Try a distant horizon.

I had the same thing happen last night with an Alpha 200 pointed at the
moon. My 8000i has also done it on occasion. No idea what causes it, but
I just switch over and manual focus at infinity.