CF cards: Fit, finish, and ERRORS

Old January 19th 05, 06:06 AM
Frank ess

Default CF cards: Fit, finish, and ERRORS

I shot 130 or so raw images to fill a 1GB Lexar 8x CF card. When I tried
to take it out of the camera (20D), wouldn't come easily. After some
fingernail and expletive-bending, I was able to retrieve it and found it
hot.

I plugged in a 512MB Lexar 40x card and went on my merry way. For a
dozen photos. After that number the camera gave all the same indications
as when it was successfully recording images (all the right noises,
focus affirms, etc.) but unbeknownst to me, was displaying "Error 2" on
the LCD. No number of offs and ons of the camera, plug-unplugs of the CF
card, nor remove-insert battery cycles had any effect. The camera
performed, but as soon as the write-to-card function was called, it
blinked "Error 2".

Inserting another 512MB card eliminated the problem.

My computer has a built-in multi-card reader. The Lexar cards both
require some effort to remove. None of the other brands I use display
this characteristic. They all do the old in-out just fine in a separate
fire-wire reader.

I wonder if anyone else has had difficulty with Lexar CF cards, as far
as (apparently) poor fit. I can't seem to determine which of the cards'
dimensions is outside tolerance. You reckon I should stick a little
silicon or teflon lubricant on the edges? File them down?

Does Mr Lexar have a reputation for exchanging recalcitrant cards
without a whimper?

--
Frank ess

Old January 19th 05, 06:52 AM
Gautam Majumdar

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 06:06:57 +0000, Frank ess wrote:

Does Mr Lexar have a reputation for exchanging recalcitrant cards
without a whimper?

I am using a Lexar 512 MB CF on my D-Rebel for the last month. Has taken
it in and out of camera several times. Used it on a Dazzle card reader. No
problem so far.

--

Gautam Majumdar

Please send e-mails to
Old January 19th 05, 08:47 AM
Bigguy

Shine a torch down the camera's CF slot and look for bent pins... or other
obstructions...

Lexar are generally considered to be among the best CF card makers.

Guy

Old January 19th 05, 11:49 AM
Don Dunlap

"Frank ess" wrote in message
[...]

I recently bought a new card reader and tried three different cards in it.
Viking and Sandisk worked fine, but the Lexar card wouldn't fit in the
reader. I don't know the exact problem, but it appears the the holes in the
card for the pins to fit into are built to a little tighter tolerance than
the others. The pins just wouldn't fit into the holes. I have retired the
reader and continue to use an older one.

Dpm Dim;a[

Old January 19th 05, 07:35 PM
Frank ess

From: "Frank ess"

I shot 130 or so raw images to fill a 1GB Lexar 8x CF card. When I
tried to take it out of the camera (20D), wouldn't come easily.

I plugged in a 512MB Lexar 40x card... but unbeknownst to me, was
displaying "Error 2" on the LCD.

I wonder if anyone else has had difficulty with Lexar CF cards, as
far
as (apparently) poor fit.

Hi Frank,

We have several Lexar 1 and 2 GB cards, a 32x, couple of 40x and an
80x and have never had a problem with fit or performance. The only
cards I use are Lexar and the SanDisk Ultra or Extremes.

Does Mr Lexar have a reputation for exchanging recalcitrant cards
without a whimper?

Supposedly a "Life time warranty" except for the 4x cards (5 years)
... you can find the warranty and contact info on Rob Galbraith's
site ...
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...007-6013#lexar

There's an email link for an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization)
number, let us know if you were able to exchange the cards easily
since one of the reasons I'm using them is the warranty and if they
aren't backing that up I'd like to know before I need that service

Bill

Thanks to Bill (and others) for the responses.

I have a few emails working out there with regard to Mr. Lexar's
willingness to do the right thing.

We shall see...

Frank ess

"Because of the Swiss Cheese nature of everyone's life experience and
education, the Whoosh Bird can drop a load on anyone's head, without
warning." —Albrecht Einstein

Old January 19th 05, 10:24 PM
Robert Scott

"Frank ess" wrote in message

I wonder if anyone else has had difficulty with Lexar CF cards, as far as
(apparently) poor fit.

I use three of the Lexar 512MN 80x cards in my D70 with complete
satisfaction. I'd return them or find someone else who uses them and try
fitting their particular card. Maybe you got an out-of-spec example.....

Good shooting,
Bob Scott

Old January 20th 05, 05:00 PM
Frank ess

Ed Ruf wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:35:53 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Frank ess"

From: "Frank ess"

Supposedly a "Life time warranty" except for the 4x cards (5 years)
... you can find the warranty and contact info on Rob Galbraith's
site ...
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...007-6013#lexar

There's an email link for an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization)
number, let us know if you were able to exchange the cards easily
since one of the reasons I'm using them is the warranty and if they
aren't backing that up I'd like to know before I need that service

I have a few emails working out there with regard to Mr. Lexar's
willingness to do the right thing.

We shall see...

Frank, you need to be stubbornly persistent. In fact you may need to
use a bit of persuasion. I've been going back and forth with them
since early/mid December. It's as if Larry. Moe and Curly are running
things:

0. Took several round of e-mail to tech support to get them
to finally admit there was a problem with an older 8x
128MB card would not work properly with ant JS reader
on my new system based on the NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra
400 chipset.

1. Initial tracking number given to use in the on-line RMA request
form was not acceptable to the server.

2. Get a valid tracking number, fill out on-line form requesting
RMA#. Receive automated e-mail say in 2-3 business
days you'll receive an e-mail containing the RMA# and
instructions for return.

3. Hear nothing and on Jan 2, send e-mail inquiring on the delay.
Get an apology saying you'll hear in 2-3 days again.

4. On Jan 17, I again reply saying I haven't received the RMA yet.
I politely mention that while I have recommended
Lexar products in the past, I expected better
customer service than this and would have to mention
this in the Usenet r.p.d.* hierarchy. This finally
get a reply on Jan 20, with profuse apologies and
more importantly and RMA #.

I went though a similar "workflow" with them on a bad JS I "bought"
directly from them for the shipping charge. While two data points
might not be a valid population sampling, it's hard to overlook the
exact same behavior experienced. Of course YMMV, hopefully for the
better. ----------

Thanks, Ed.

Status at this moment:
My original statement of facts and concern and request for advice was
answered in
12 hours, with a little recipe to follow to determine if the card could
be written to, information I had included in the first statement.
Response to that was received at about
9 hours (total 21 at that point) and was a generic "thanks for your
note, we'll get back to you".I'm now about
33 hours in...

--
Frank ess

Old January 22nd 05, 10:06 PM
Cynthia P

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 22:06:57 -0800, "Frank ess"
wrote:

[...]

No problem here with an Olympus C-5050 and SanDisk 8-in-1 reader.

Though I once bought an Edge brand SM card for my old camera and it
was such a tight fit I thought I'd never get it out of the camera
again. (Too thick a label.)

Cynthia