Quality of pics using Burst Mode ?

Old June 27th 04, 02:53 AM
Tech

Default Quality of pics using Burst Mode ?

Hi All,
I will be buying my first digital camera and am intereted in the Kodak
DX7440 and the Sony DSC P-100. Both of these offer Burst Mode. The Sony
allows for 16 small pics within one frame and the Kodak does 2fps (6pics
max.). On the surface it would appear that the Sony is perfect for
analyzing a golf swing. I would think the Kodak's 2fps would be too slow
to provide no more than maybe two or three pictures in the average golf
swing. Question. Has anyone used either the Sony or Kodak burst feature
? And what quality could I expect when using it for looking at a golf
swing?

Thanks.

Old June 27th 04, 03:16 AM
Renee

"Tech" wrote in message
Hi All,
I will be buying my first digital camera and am intereted in the Kodak
DX7440 and the Sony DSC P-100. Both of these offer Burst Mode. The Sony
allows for 16 small pics within one frame and the Kodak does 2fps (6pics
max.). On the surface it would appear that the Sony is perfect for
analyzing a golf swing. I would think the Kodak's 2fps would be too slow
to provide no more than maybe two or three pictures in the average golf
swing. Question. Has anyone used either the Sony or Kodak burst feature
? And what quality could I expect when using it for looking at a golf
swing?

Thanks.

Hiya Tech,

I'm new to working with what I consider a feature laden camera -- and I
don't play golf. So I don't know if this will help . . .

IMO you should look at other features to make your decision and make sure
the camera offer video. You can take a small video then load it up into a
video editor to look at it frame by frame. I believe a camera with 15 fps or
30 fps video would be better than burst mode for analyzing something like a
golf stroke. The video editor also allows you to save individual frames to
their own picture files.

Renee

Old June 27th 04, 03:51 AM
Renee

"Renee" wrote in message news:...

"Tech" wrote in message
[...]

Took a quick look at the Sony and now see that burst mode is considered
movie exposure mode. I thought burst mode meant continuous shooting of still
shots. Please disregard my previous message if I confused the two.

Old June 27th 04, 09:10 AM
Ron Hunter

Tech wrote:

Hi All,
I will be buying my first digital camera and am intereted in the Kodak
DX7440 and the Sony DSC P-100. Both of these offer Burst Mode. The Sony
allows for 16 small pics within one frame and the Kodak does 2fps (6pics
max.). On the surface it would appear that the Sony is perfect for
analyzing a golf swing. I would think the Kodak's 2fps would be too slow
to provide no more than maybe two or three pictures in the average golf
swing. Question. Has anyone used either the Sony or Kodak burst feature
? And what quality could I expect when using it for looking at a golf
swing?

Thanks.

I have a DX6440 which has a burst mode and can make 6 shots in about 2.5
seconds. I would think that would be too slow to get a good picture of
a golf swing. The pictures are high quality, but I think you need a
movie camera for this purpose. The movie mode isn't of sufficiently
high quality on the DX6440 for this purpose, but the DX7440 has a VGA
(640x480) at 13fps which might be suitable.
Old July 1st 04, 04:01 PM
Ron Baird

Hi Tech,

Personally, if your need is to analyze a golf swing, I would consider a
video camera. You can then run it in reduced motion so you can measure and
review etc. Better than still shots from a still camera. If you are going
to do anything else, then stick with the still camera. The newer models
that Kodak offers, i.e. the DX7440 will do a great job for you and has a
frame rate as noted. It will however, allow you to take up to 30 frames at
2 fps, with last 6 frames saved. You are still only going to get 6 frames,
but they will be the last taken out of 30. Nice feature. I would see if
you can try the camera out, and take some action shots in the store etc.
Check whether or not it will meet your need.

Talk to you soon, Tech, let me know if you have any questions.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Old July 1st 04, 06:50 PM
Anoni Moose

"Renee" wrote in message om...
"Renee" wrote in message news:...

"Tech" wrote in message
Hi All,
I will be buying my first digital camera and am intereted in the Kodak
DX7440 and the Sony DSC P-100. Both of these offer Burst Mode. The Sony
allows for 16 small pics within one frame and the Kodak does 2fps (6pics
max.). On the surface it would appear that the Sony is perfect for
analyzing a golf swing. I would think the Kodak's 2fps would be too slow
to provide no more than maybe two or three pictures in the average golf
swing. Question. Has anyone used either the Sony or Kodak burst feature
? And what quality could I expect when using it for looking at a golf
swing?

Took a quick look at the Sony and now see that burst mode is considered
movie exposure mode. I thought burst mode meant continuous shooting of still
shots. Please disregard my previous message if I confused the two.

Well.... a movie *is* a aequence of still shots! :-)

We've a sony DSC-P100, and it does "all of the above". It will do
that burst mode where you get 16 quick low-res (640x480 which isn't bad,
just not for printing and mounting photos, my first digital camera was
of that resolution years ago). The 16 show up in one large photo in
a matrix, so you can see the progression all at once. You also can
program the time between shots in that burst.

It also can do movies. It can record 640x480 at 30 fps. With the 1Gb
card we've in ours (~$230, probably lower by now) it'll record at that
rate for about 45 minutes in "normal" mode, and about 12-minutes in
high quality (low compression) mode. Same resolution for each image
as in burst-mode except that in burst mode you get a single big jpeg.
With movie mode you get a MPEG-1 encoded movie file. So it's not
a camera to replace a movie camera generally speaking, but something
really handy to have around 'anyway'. I don't know if the mpeg-1
encoding would have any side-effect for your purpose.

Like that other camera, it also can do sequences of multiple shots at
full (5.1 megapixel) resolution and do so as long as the button is
held down. Much slower, I don't recall the rate off hand, maybe two
a second I think -- would have to check. At full resolution
I think it'll do only about 12 or so. Having a memory stick pro
card (as opposed to non-pro) may help with these speeds (those cards
have speedy transfer rates). It'll also do photos this way at lower
resolutions where it'll do more of them sequentially. Might do them
faster for lower resolutions, but I don't recall if it does, I've only
tried it at full resolution.

So the sony has three approaches: burst mode that makes stills programmably
up to a very fast rate (does exactly 16 every time), has a multi-exposure
mode that takes photos as long as the button is held down that can be at high
resolution but can't go as fast, and can do full frame-rate video.

Camera also comes in cool blue and red colors in addition to the
old standard silver color. No, not plastic, looks like anodized aluminum
(probably).

Mike
Old July 28th 04, 09:29 AM
ric

"Ron Baird" wrote in message ...
[...]

Hi,
I'm looking at the DX7440 vs the 6490 at the moment. The latter's got
the bigger zoom on it, but it *appears* that the former goes to a
slightly wider angle. Can you confirm this? I usually find that I
use the wider end of the zoom much more than the telephoto.
Also, it looks like the 7440 gives as much manual control as the other
- can you give a quick overview of differences?
Cheers
Ric
Old July 28th 04, 07:12 PM
Ron Baird

Greetings Ric,

I can appreciate your interest and am glad to share.

Actually, all the information you might want is on the web pages that refer
to these models. Please go to the following for details. Also, watch for
new releases and compare them as they are brought out. The compare feature
is an excellent resource.

You are right that there are some great features in the DX7440 model
including a lot of manual control.

Try visiting:
http://www.kodak.com/go/compare

http://www.kodak.com/go/dx7440