DSLR sales. Only two ways they can go

Old July 27th 15, 04:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default DSLR sales. Only two ways they can go

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 19:58:09 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

Either they level off, somewhere around 50% of their
sales in 2010 or less, or in three years, DSLR sales
will be almost non-existent.

It depends. If the mfr's can march on with technical improvements, and
the advantage of DSLR's over anything else remains sizable enough,
maybe not.

If this sounds alarmist, check out CD or vinyl sales from
their highest sales year till now. The drop in sales isn't
some minor economic blip, it's an evolution of the market.

Not such a great analogy. Cameras are used as tools with a purpose,
and some purposes require greater quality than others. CD's have one
purpose, listening to music. Another problem is that lots of folks -
maybe most - clearly don't care at all about sound quality. Some of
the codecs & specs that are used are simply not very good. Oddly
enough, vinyl is having its own upward blip, because some people think
it sounds better. I think that's a good development, even if those
people are crazy...
Old July 27th 15, 05:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

If this sounds alarmist, check out CD or vinyl sales from
their highest sales year till now. The drop in sales isn't
some minor economic blip, it's an evolution of the market.

Not such a great analogy. Cameras are used as tools with a purpose,
and some purposes require greater quality than others. CD's have one
purpose, listening to music. Another problem is that lots of folks -
maybe most - clearly don't care at all about sound quality. Some of
the codecs & specs that are used are simply not very good. Oddly
enough, vinyl is having its own upward blip, because some people think
it sounds better. I think that's a good development, even if those
people are crazy...

they're hipsters who think it's cool.
Old July 27th 15, 07:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 00:56:07 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

If this sounds alarmist, check out CD or vinyl sales from
their highest sales year till now. The drop in sales isn't
some minor economic blip, it's an evolution of the market.

Not such a great analogy. Cameras are used as tools with a purpose,
and some purposes require greater quality than others. CD's have one
purpose, listening to music. Another problem is that lots of folks -
maybe most - clearly don't care at all about sound quality. Some of
the codecs & specs that are used are simply not very good. Oddly
enough, vinyl is having its own upward blip, because some people think
it sounds better. I think that's a good development, even if those
people are crazy...

they're hipsters who think it's cool.

They also think hiss = warmth. Part of the problem, or maybe the whole
problem, became crystal clear to me many years ago. I bought a Mobile
Fidelity Sound Labs album, and the sound was amazing. That was before
CD's came out, and when the CD of that album came out, I couldn't wait
to listen to it. I assumed it would be beyond belief. Well, it sucked.
Flat, lifeless, everything you always hear from the vinyl nuts. But it
was representative of the overall problem. It was simply badly done.
Very badly done. It really was hit or miss back then.

Another thing many people just don't understand is that if you listen
to one of those really great sounding vinyl LP's from years ago on
high end equipment, you will soon realize that the sound on that LP is
total crap, and it was simply being "healed" by a crappy sound system
that masked all of the flaws.
Old July 27th 15, 10:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Not such a great analogy. Cameras are used as tools with a purpose,
and some purposes require greater quality than others. CD's have one
purpose, listening to music. Another problem is that lots of folks -
maybe most - clearly don't care at all about sound quality. Some of
the codecs & specs that are used are simply not very good. Oddly
enough, vinyl is having its own upward blip, because some people think
it sounds better. I think that's a good development, even if those
people are crazy...

they're hipsters who think it's cool.

They also think hiss = warmth.

and distortion.

Part of the problem, or maybe the whole
problem, became crystal clear to me many years ago. I bought a Mobile
Fidelity Sound Labs album, and the sound was amazing.

i have a couple of those.

That was before
CD's came out, and when the CD of that album came out, I couldn't wait
to listen to it. I assumed it would be beyond belief. Well, it sucked.
Flat, lifeless, everything you always hear from the vinyl nuts. But it
was representative of the overall problem. It was simply badly done.
Very badly done. It really was hit or miss back then.

early cds were poorly mastered, which has nothing to do with being
digital.

cds are much better than vinyl ever could dream of.

Another thing many people just don't understand is that if you listen
to one of those really great sounding vinyl LP's from years ago on
high end equipment, you will soon realize that the sound on that LP is
total crap, and it was simply being "healed" by a crappy sound system
that masked all of the flaws.

vinyl has always been total crap. it's that there wasn't anything
better until cds came along.

it's a tiny needle wiggling in a groove. it's horribly primitive.
Old July 27th 15, 10:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 00:56:07 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

If this sounds alarmist, check out CD or vinyl sales from
their highest sales year till now. The drop in sales isn't
some minor economic blip, it's an evolution of the market.

Not such a great analogy. Cameras are used as tools with a purpose,
and some purposes require greater quality than others. CD's have one
purpose, listening to music. Another problem is that lots of folks -
maybe most - clearly don't care at all about sound quality. Some of
the codecs & specs that are used are simply not very good. Oddly
enough, vinyl is having its own upward blip, because some people think
it sounds better. I think that's a good development, even if those
people are crazy...

they're hipsters who think it's cool.

Me ahipster? 81 years old and loaded with 17th-18th century music?

You gotta be joking.

Eric Stevens
Old July 27th 15, 10:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

If this sounds alarmist, check out CD or vinyl sales from
their highest sales year till now. The drop in sales isn't
some minor economic blip, it's an evolution of the market.

Not such a great analogy. Cameras are used as tools with a purpose,
and some purposes require greater quality than others. CD's have one
purpose, listening to music. Another problem is that lots of folks -
maybe most - clearly don't care at all about sound quality. Some of
the codecs & specs that are used are simply not very good. Oddly
enough, vinyl is having its own upward blip, because some people think
it sounds better. I think that's a good development, even if those
people are crazy...

they're hipsters who think it's cool.

Me ahipster? 81 years old and loaded with 17th-18th century music?

You gotta be joking.

nope.

he said vinyl has seen an upward blip. did you buy your vinyl in the
past couple of years, contributing to that blip? no, you didn't. you
bought it a while ago, probably before there were cds.
Old July 27th 15, 10:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 23:31:28 -0700, Bill W
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 00:56:07 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

[...]

There are two weak points in most systems. The first is the cartridge
and associated bits and pieces. The second is most definitely the
speakers. Amplifiers are reasonably easy to do.

Eric Stevens
Old July 27th 15, 11:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

There are two weak points in most systems. The first is the cartridge
and associated bits and pieces. The second is most definitely the
speakers. Amplifiers are reasonably easy to do.

cds eliminates the first one.

the rest you can't eliminate. it's a bit hard to listen to music if you
don't have speakers or an amplifier.
Old July 27th 15, 03:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/27/2015 5:42 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Bill W
wrote:

[...]

So says the judgemental one, while not mentioning that lots of people
like the sound of vinyl.
While waiting at a light this morning, some A-hole was playing digital
sounds with a booming bass, that my car was shaking, and the sound
through closed windows, was drowning out the sound of my radio.

--
PeterN
Old July 27th 15, 03:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/27/2015 6:00 AM, nospam wrote:

it's a bit hard to listen to music if you
don't have speakers or an amplifier.

Newsflash!!
There is this brand new concept called: live performance.

--
PeterN