The Ultimate Photo-Bag

Old May 31st 09, 01:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Robert Coe

Default The Ultimate Photo-Bag

On Thu, 14 May 2009 13:15:32 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:
: The whole concept of wedding photographs, baby pics and other types
: of sentimental portraiture is somewhat nauseating to me. ...

Obviously you have no grandchildren.

Bob
Old May 31st 09, 01:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Robert Coe

On Sat, 16 May 2009 09:19:11 -0700, Paul Furman wrote:
: John A. wrote:
:
: Nothing against this photographer. It's just a very awkward subject
:
: http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/page/3/
: A silly web site but, oh well :-)

"Page Not Found". Is that what's awkward about it?

Bob
Old May 31st 09, 01:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Robert Coe

On Sun, 17 May 2009 12:09:12 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:
: Peter wrote:
: "Alan Browne" wrote in message
: ...
:
:
: And really, shouldn't you grab your pregnant wife's ass in a portrait?
: After all they are half nude.
:
: Look closely at their faces. She may be his sister, not his wife.
: Oops! OTOH they may be in Applachia.
:
: I really don't think terms like sister/brother/cousin/uncle/aunt are
: used the same in Appalachia as we use them... I saw a side splitting
: video of a guy from Arkansas, singing, trying to explain his family tree.
:
: The Anglican priest in shorts with the kid choking mommy is actually
: great as long as you have some sense of humour.
:
:
: Whenever will you Aussies learn there is only one "u" in humor. G
:
: We Canadians are a confused lot and we use or drop the "u" at will.
: Tell ya what though, when you yanks learn to write something as simple
: as the date properly I'll change my "colours".

That from someone who thinks Arkansas is in Appalachia.

Bob
Old May 31st 09, 02:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Paul Furman

: John A. wrote:
:
: Nothing against this photographer. It's just a very awkward subject
:
: http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/page/3/
: A silly web site but, oh well :-)

"Page Not Found". Is that what's awkward about it?

Looks like they redesigned the scripting & the old links are broken.
Here's that maternity portrait: http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/?p=866
Old May 31st 09, 05:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Savageduck[_2_]

wrote:
: The whole concept of wedding photographs, baby pics and other types
: of sentimental portraiture is somewhat nauseating to me. ...

Obviously you have no grandchildren.

Bob

Why would that be obvious?

I hold by my opinion even with grandchildren, nephews, nieces &
cousins, sentimental portraiture is artificial and nauseating. However
unposed spontaneous shots are a far more valuable record of the
character of the soon to be insufferable pre-pubescent.
Savageduck

Old May 31st 09, 05:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Alan Browne

wrote:
: The whole concept of wedding photographs, baby pics and other types
: of sentimental portraiture is somewhat nauseating to me. ...

Obviously you have no grandchildren.

Bob

Why would that be obvious?

I hold by my opinion even with grandchildren, nephews, nieces & cousins,
sentimental portraiture is artificial and nauseating. However unposed
spontaneous shots are a far more valuable record of the character of the
soon to be insufferable pre-pubescent.

This is partly why the "pj" wedding approach has caught on over the last
10 or 20 years. While the de rigeur formals are taken, the photographer
also shoots informally to capture more spontaneous moments.

As for myself, I see nothing artificial and nauseating about formal
photos (as long as they don't take cliche's _too_ far). They are part
of the whole of photography and culture.

Not all pre-pubescent kids are insufferable. Some wait until they're 25
or 55 to reach that state.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 31st 09, 06:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 31-05-09 08:41, Robert Coe wrote:
On Sun, 17 May 2009 12:09:12 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:
: Peter wrote:
: "Alan wrote in message
: ...
:
:
[...]

Close enough. I was really referring to the notion that people in the
Appalachian region and surrounding states such as Arkansas have somewhat
confused family trees.

Thanks for the geography tip though. I always think of Arkansas as
further east than that.

But as to comparative geographic knowledge I will blow away 9 out of 10
Americans. And so would a 10 year old in Poland or S. Korea.

Still, the American practice of writing the date in month-day-year order
would only hilariously stupid if it weren't for the fact that it leaks
out of the US to confuse everyone else.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 31st 09, 06:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Savageduck[_2_]

On 2009-05-31 09:53:12 -0700, Alan Browne

wrote:
[...]

So you know my step-daughter from hell?
Savageduck

Old May 31st 09, 07:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
Savageduck[_2_]

On 2009-05-31 10:05:37 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

On 31-05-09 08:41, Robert Coe wrote:
On Sun, 17 May 2009 12:09:12 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:
: Peter wrote:
: "Alan wrote in message
: ...
:
:
[...]

Strangely enough the US military convention is dd/mm/yy.
Savageduck

Old May 31st 09, 08:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography
J. Clarke

On 2009-05-31 10:05:37 -0700, Alan Browne

wrote:
Peter wrote:
[...]

The Navy taught me dd MMM yy, with the MMM being the first three letters of
the name of the month. Much, much less potential for confusion that way.