Just won't give up - polaroid film buffs

Old May 28th 09, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default Just won't give up - polaroid film buffs

On 28-05-09 03:01, Christopher Loffredo wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
On 27-05-09 17:41, Christopher Loffredo wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
On 27-05-09 16:18, Rol_Lei Nut wrote:
frank wrote:

Soak developed film in photo flo

Soak computer in photo flo

Compare images.

Drop glassene envelope with film strips on the floor.
Drop hard disk on the floor...

Get backup disks out and recover files with no errors.

Pickup glassene envelope - crap! dust and hair got in there...

Plug in backup hard disk (or CD-R or DVD) and it makes a strange
continuous clicking sound...

Nah, you bought "gold" archival DVD's and they're still readable 45
years later on a X-ray (TM) reader along with U-ray (TM), Blu-ray,
DVD, CD, etc...

You *must* believe in Santa Claus

Pick up glassine envelope and, after cursing a little, find soft brush
and blower.

45 years later, faded, scratched. The scanner uses ICE to compensate
for the scratches but the faded image just doesn't quite restore like
the original.

Meanwhile half the collection (film and DVD's) was lost in a fire. A
separate copy of your DVD's at your son's house across town is
perfectly intact, of course. The film is lost forever. A few phots are
recovered from prints... just not the same...

After a fire my (however unreliable) scan backups are on a DVD across town.

The difference being, if I get hit by a car tomorrow, my heirs are
likely to at least likely to take look at negatives/slides (with
associated contacts) and put aside anything that looks worth saving.

They are *very* unkilikely to comb through my computer stuff and disks:
It'd be very lucky if then even wiped sensitive material and disposed of
the stuff correctly...
Outside of institutional or similar highly-organized contexts,
digital-only images will *not* survive very long.

I don't agree.

1. Save on easy to access media (external HD's, archival DVD's)
2. Label correctly and clearly.
3. Include a readme file about the photos.
4. If possible, include a good viewer on the DVD's, or at least some
instructions on how to read.

My son knows where my phots are for sure and how to access them.

By the time I die, I'll probably have a quarter million photos stored of
which less than 1000 will be of any real interest to my descendants.
And for those to be of interest, one should also write a journal to
documents the who/when/where/what (why should be self evident) of the
recorded images.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 28th 09, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

On 5/28/2009 1:01 PM Alan Browne spake thus:

[...]

OK, time to finally put a huge nail in this whole
"digital-lasts-forever" vampire. (He says, hopefully.)

OK, folks: in *theory*, digital images (and other information) can last
indefinitely. In *THEORY*. All you gotta do is make sure you copy the
images from one failing media (f'rinstance, those cheap CD-Rs you bought
at Office Despot) onto the next media du jour. Keep this up indefinitely
and you'll have preserved all of your images perfectly.

But as everyone know, this rarely works out in *practice*; people get
lazy, or inattentive, or whatever, and fail to be vigilant in
shepherding their precious images from one media to the next. Witness
those boxes of floppy discs, those 4mm and 8mm tapes, those QIC-20
cartridges, etc., etc.

So in practice, the lowly analog image will probably outlive most, if
not all, of those digital images.

Old May 29th 09, 02:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_2_]

On 2009-05-28 16:52:31 -0700, Helen said:

On May 28, 5:09*pm, Annika1980 wrote:

"Next holiday season, birthday, or anniversary instead of buying your
loved
ones something expensive, just give them a DVD-R collection of all
your pics, and watch the expression of joy and appreciation on their
faces.
I'm sure they'll be thrilled."

Especially when there are precious memories connected to the pics; and
you add a few personal words of your own to it........a priceless gift
that your loved ones will cherish forever.

Helen,
You seem to have your "irony" meter turned off.
Savageduck

Old May 29th 09, 09:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Only the bad ones. The good ones will live forever because like good
books people will keep copying them.

--
Chris Malcolm
Old May 29th 09, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_2_]

On 2009-05-28 16:52:31 -0700, Helen said:

On May 28, 5:09*pm, Annika1980 wrote:

"Next holiday season, birthday, or anniversary instead of buying your
loved
ones something expensive, just give them a DVD-R collection of all
your pics, and watch the expression of joy and appreciation on their
faces.
I'm sure they'll be thrilled."

Especially when there are precious memories connected to the pics; and
you add a few personal words of your own to it........a priceless gift
that your loved ones will cherish forever.

Helen,
You seem to have your "irony" meter turned off.
Savageduck

I sincerely thought that would make a lovely gift. If there was irony
or sarcasm that was intended in Bret's post, so be it.

That's OK . I understand, and I am sure there are many like you who
would accept the gift graciously.
..
However, in this case I think Bret was leaning more to irony than sarcasm.

As for me, when I finally check out, I suspect somebody digging through
my pile of junk will say, "Oh look! a couple of hard drives we can use.
All we have to do is format them."
Savageduck

Old May 29th 09, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Elliott Roper

In article 2009052907312211272-savageduck1REMOVESPAM@mecom,
Savageduck wrote:

snip
As for me, when I finally check out, I suspect somebody digging through
my pile of junk will say, "Oh look! a couple of hard drives we can use.
All we have to do is format them."

Heh!

The evil that men do lives after them. The good is oft interred with
their bones.

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248
Old May 30th 09, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"Elliott Roper" wrote in message
In article 2009052907312211272-savageduck1REMOVESPAM@mecom,
Savageduck wrote:

snip
As for me, when I finally check out, I suspect somebody digging through
my pile of junk will say, "Oh look! a couple of hard drives we can use.
All we have to do is format them."

Heh!

The evil that men do lives after them. The good is oft interred with
their bones.

Even thinking they contained evil is worth something.....the chief insult is
to just format them without caring what is on them.......