Best D-SLR for Portraits

Old December 20th 04, 11:21 PM
Scott

Default Best D-SLR for Portraits

I am currently trying to decide on a Digital SLR camera. I plan on doing
mostly protrait work, with the occasional shots of my kids in their after
school sports and other family type pics. Please recommend what you think
is best and tell me why!! I prefer something in the 6Mp or higher range for
larger prints in the 11x14 and larger range

Old December 20th 04, 11:24 PM
Roland Karlsson

"Scott" wrote in
ink.net:

I am currently trying to decide on a Digital SLR camera. I plan on
doing mostly protrait work, with the occasional shots of my kids in
their after school sports and other family type pics. Please
recommend what you think is best and tell me why!! I prefer something
in the 6Mp or higher range for larger prints in the 11x14 and larger
range

Any DSLR is good good for portraits. The lens, lightning
and general technique etc are more important than the actual
camera.

/Roland
Old December 20th 04, 11:48 PM
[BnH]

Or if you want studio photographer prefered DSLR for potraits .. choose
Kodak DCS Pro SLR/c or n ...
14mpx , ISO 6 - 1600 [ although some said ISO 400 above is junk ] & full
frame :P

=bob=

ink.net...

Old December 20th 04, 11:52 PM
MarkČ

"Roland Karlsson" wrote in message
"Scott" wrote in
ink.net:

I am currently trying to decide on a Digital SLR camera. I plan on
doing mostly protrait work, with the occasional shots of my kids in
their after school sports and other family type pics. Please
recommend what you think is best and tell me why!! I prefer something
in the 6Mp or higher range for larger prints in the 11x14 and larger
range

Any DSLR is good good for portraits. The lens, lightning
and general technique etc are more important than the actual
camera.

/Roland

If you plan to print at 11x14 and LARGER for portraits, then you need to
know that you're looking at some pretty high-end alternatives, like the
Canon D1s Mark II (16MP) or the latest Nikon pro body.

On the other hand, if you're less picky about resolution, you can certainly
use Canon's 8MP D20 and assume viewing distances won't be too close with the
final print.

If you stretch a 6MP image (for example) to be 11 inches at the shorter
measurement side, then you'd only be printing at 185dpi--quite a bit lower
than standard. The 8MP D20 will only do marginally better.

Obviously, the best alternative available will be the Canon 1Ds Mark II, but
then you're talking about $7K+ without any lenses.

Old December 21st 04, 12:10 AM
Charles Schuler

"Scott" wrote in message
ink.net...
I am currently trying to decide on a Digital SLR camera. I plan on doing
mostly protrait work, with the occasional shots of my kids in their after
school sports and other family type pics. Please recommend what you think
is best and tell me why!! I prefer something in the 6Mp or higher range
for larger prints in the 11x14 and larger range

The Canon 20D is worth looking at. Why? It's an affordable yet fairly
serious DSLR with a nice history (the 10D) and easy access to a wealth of
lenses and other accessories.

Old December 21st 04, 12:24 AM
Roland Karlsson

"Scott" wrote in
ink.net:

I am currently trying to decide on a Digital SLR camera. I plan on
doing mostly protrait work, with the occasional shots of my kids in
their after school sports and other family type pics. Please
recommend what you think is best and tell me why!! I prefer something
in the 6Mp or higher range for larger prints in the 11x14 and larger
range

OK - you have three main alternatives

1. Any 6 Mp APS size sensor cameras. All are
of nearly equal quality. Lots to choose from.
It is a little low for 11x14 and up, but for
softer portraits that is OK. Reasonable priced.
Pentax, Minolta, Canon, Nikon. And maybe even
Oly E1 at 5 Mpixels, but this is only 4/3 format.

2. A full 35 mm sensor camera with more Mpixels
costing lots of money, e.g. 1Ds or Kodaks
pro thingies. The Nikon D2X (also costing lots
of kilobucks) is only APS, but has 12 Mpixels.

3. A compromise - 20D at 8 Mpixels and APS size.
Costs - not very much and not very little. Or
maybe the Olympus E300 at 8 Mpixels. No one out
yet - so we don't know the quality. Only 4/3
format also.

So - I am personally not a pro portrait photographer,
but I assume that alt. 1 is good for almost all purposes.

/Roland
Old December 21st 04, 12:36 AM
Fitpix

"Scott" wrote in message
ink.net...
I am currently trying to decide on a Digital SLR camera. I plan on doing
mostly protrait work, with the occasional shots of my kids in their after
school sports and other family type pics. Please recommend what you think
is best and tell me why!! I prefer something in the 6Mp or higher range
for larger prints in the 11x14 and larger range

I use the 20d in my studio and love it.

Old December 21st 04, 01:00 AM
wayne

here you go if you want "best" 16 MP

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...t&s ku=357447

not quite 10Gs of course you still need the camera body and lenses

Wayne

"Fitpix" wrote in message

ink.net...

Old December 21st 04, 01:08 AM
Michael Meissner

Roland Karlsson writes:

"Scott" wrote in
ink.net:

I am currently trying to decide on a Digital SLR camera. I plan on
doing mostly protrait work, with the occasional shots of my kids in
their after school sports and other family type pics. Please
recommend what you think is best and tell me why!! I prefer something
in the 6Mp or higher range for larger prints in the 11x14 and larger
range

OK - you have three main alternatives

1. Any 6 Mp APS size sensor cameras. All are
of nearly equal quality. Lots to choose from.
It is a little low for 11x14 and up, but for
softer portraits that is OK. Reasonable priced.
Pentax, Minolta, Canon, Nikon. And maybe even
Oly E1 at 5 Mpixels, but this is only 4/3 format.

Note, the E1 and E300/EVOLT have a 4:3 aspect ratio rather than 3:2 that most
of the other DSLR cameras use. For 11x14 prints, this means you would need to
cut off few bits to crop it to an 14:11 aspect ratio (ditto for 16x20 prints).

2. A full 35 mm sensor camera with more Mpixels
costing lots of money, e.g. 1Ds or Kodaks
pro thingies. The Nikon D2X (also costing lots
of kilobucks) is only APS, but has 12 Mpixels.

3. A compromise - 20D at 8 Mpixels and APS size.
Costs - not very much and not very little. Or
maybe the Olympus E300 at 8 Mpixels. No one out
yet - so we don't know the quality. Only 4/3
format also.

E300/EVOLT is evidently now in the stores, and people are posting the usual
comparison pictures with it.

So - I am personally not a pro portrait photographer,
but I assume that alt. 1 is good for almost all purposes.

Bear in mind that lighting might cost more than the camera itself. I would
imagine to get a really good setup, you are looking at least $2k in terms of
lighting equipment. You can certainly start at a lower level than that
(probably at least $600, for a single Alien Bee setup with reflectors, flash
meter, background stands, and muslins).

--
Michael Meissner
email: