Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF APO DG OS HSM for D700

Old September 30th 09, 11:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan[_8_]

Default Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF APO DG OS HSM for D700

Below is a review from Amazon.com the Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF
APO DG OS HSM. I was thinking about getting the lens and I noticed no
reviews from anyone but DX owners, until the one below. Since the FX
camera uses more of the lens than do the DX cameras, I was concerned
the reviews might not be relevant for the D700. So, I am curious
since there are a lot of FX users here, if any of you have any
experience with this lens?

Alan

**Amazon Review**
10 of 16 people found the following review helpful:
Very sharp if you can get it to focus properly, September 12, 2008
By bharada (Fremont, CA USA) - See all my reviews

I tried this lens out on a Nikon D700 but sent it back due to back and
front focus issues throughout the entire focal range of the lens. The
D700's AF Tune feature cannot compensate for both front and back focus
at the same time so eliminating one only increased the other.

I will add that when the lens was properly focusing it was very sharp
wide open and extremely sharp stopped down one stop.

I don't know if I just got a bad sample of the lens, or if Amazon's
poor packaging played a part in the lens' issues. The lens was shipped
in a box with inadequate padding to protect all sides of the lens'
box. The Sigma lens is packed loose in its nylon carrying case, with
no additional in-box padding, so there was nothing to keep the lens
from bouncing around during transit.
Old October 3rd 09, 01:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Calan

Thanks me,

Interesting. If this company does a lot of rentals, I mean many
thousands, that's a pretty substantive warning sign and there is
nothing like a negative sign.

Quite frankly, there seemed to be a pretty high failure rate on most
of the lenses, especially the longer zooms. I wish they also included
the number of rentals per lens but that is giving away a lot of
business secrets.

Alan

On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 11:24:06 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 18:03:11 -0400, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan wrote:

Below is a review from Amazon.com the Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF
APO DG OS HSM. I was thinking about getting the lens and I noticed no
reviews from anyone but DX owners, until the one below. Since the FX
camera uses more of the lens than do the DX cameras, I was concerned
the reviews might not be relevant for the D700. So, I am curious
since there are a lot of FX users here, if any of you have any
experience with this lens?

Did you read these links contained in the Sigma 50-500 thread above?

http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2009...repair-data-30
http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008...the-sigma-saga