film holder care

Old January 20th 04, 03:17 PM
khoi

Default film holder care

Hi guys,

I must be handling my film holders wrong but I am getting light leaks
on alot of them. I was wondering what kind of extra precaution should
i take. Better yet, which film holders do you think I should buy?
These are for 8x10 if it makes any difference. What's strange is that
one some the flap on the bottom (where the film notch) is, has leaks.
But others have it on the top of the film holder. The top of my film
holder is not sealed (ie not one piece) with my bottom of the
filmholder, the lisco regal. Where those two pieces join, i have a
lightleak. Are there filmholders that are not disconnected like the
lisco regal? This is probably confusing, i'm not good with
discriptions.

Thanks,

Kyle
Old January 20th 04, 07:23 PM
jjs

"khoi" wrote in message
om...
Hi guys,

I must be handling my film holders wrong but I am getting light leaks
on alot of them. [...]

Are you using wooden filmholders? If not, then what brand of plastic are you
using?

Old January 20th 04, 11:47 PM
khoi

"jjs" wrote in message ...
"khoi" wrote in message
om...
Hi guys,

I must be handling my film holders wrong but I am getting light leaks
on alot of them. [...]

Are you using wooden filmholders? If not, then what brand of plastic are you
using?

Hi,

I'm using the plastic ones, looks like in great condition but is not .

I will check more on the riteway, i did not know they still make those.

Kyle
Old January 21st 04, 04:28 PM
jjs

"khoi" wrote in message
om...
"jjs" wrote in message

Are you using wooden filmholders? If not, then what brand of plastic are

you
using?

Hi,

I'm using the plastic ones, looks like in great condition but is not .
I will check more on the riteway, i did not know they still make those.

Did you check to be certain the light leaks are in the holders rather than
possibly a problem with the back? Put enlarging paper in each holder and
take them outdoors to expose them well, then tray develop them just to be
sure. I've found more problems with malfitting backs on old cameras than
with film holders.

Old January 21st 04, 11:26 PM
Richard Knoppow

"khoi" wrote in message
[...]

The light trap of the loading flap is a rebate on the
flap, not the hinge tape. There should be no light leaking
there even if the tape is not in good condition, although
loose tape may keep the flap from seating correctly.
Leaks at the dark slide end are common. There are several
arrangements for the trap there but all use spring loaded
felt or velvet of some sort. Thse can become worn with use.
To check for leaks at this end take the dark slide out and
shine a flashlight into the slot. Look at it from the
directly at the inside of the slot. You should not see any
light comming in.
Probably the best check for loading flaps is to examine
both the inside part of the flap and the holder to make sure
there are no cracks or bits broken off. Also check that it
folds flat when there is film in the holder.
Light leaks can also occur if the holder dosen't seat
correctly in the camera. One way to check for this is to put
plain white writing paper in a holder and put it in the
camera. Take the lens board off and look into the camera
while shining a strong light all around the periphery of the
holder and back. The paper is helpful in seeing any leak
light which would strike the film.
About the only precaution I know of is to fold the dark
cloth over the back of the camera when making exposures.
I have many old film holders, most are light tight. A more
common fault in old holders is warping of the septum causing
the film plane to be wrong.
Allen Brubaker specializes in repair of film holders and
building special purpose new ones (he can make 11x14
holders. He has a very large backlog but I will pass along
his adderess anyway.

Alan Brubaker

AWB Enterprises
33320 Gafford Road
Wildomar, California 92595
Tel/Fax: (909) 674-0466

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old January 24th 04, 08:17 PM
James Dunn

One more thing to add. When inserting the dark side back into the
holder, many people put one corner into the slot in the holder and then
insert the slide in at a slight angle. This can spread the light trap
enough to let in light. Try to insert the slide squarely into the slot
so that it blocks the entire slot.