Nikon 7900 battery cover not staying closed

Old August 12th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken

Default Nikon 7900 battery cover not staying closed

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/ni...ages/batts.jpg

A fiend is letting me have his old Nikon 7900 in about two weeks but tells
me the battery cover just will not stay in closed position. Cover as per
link.
My friend is not practical so got a new camera but I am hoping I can fix
this?
Anyone with any experience with any tips?

Ken

Old August 12th 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Ken wrote:
http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/ni...ages/batts.jpg

A fiend is letting me have his old Nikon 7900 in about two weeks but tells
me the battery cover just will not stay in closed position. Cover as per
link.
My friend is not practical so got a new camera but I am hoping I can fix
this?
Anyone with any experience with any tips?

Depends which part is broken. If it's the battery cover, you can buy a
new one. If it's the plastic tab on the camera then you're out of luck.
Old August 12th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken

"SMS" wrote in message
Ken wrote:
http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/ni...ages/batts.jpg

A fiend is letting me have his old Nikon 7900 in about two weeks but
tells me the battery cover just will not stay in closed position. Cover
as per link.
My friend is not practical so got a new camera but I am hoping I can fix
this?
Anyone with any experience with any tips?

Depends which part is broken. If it's the battery cover, you can buy a new
one. If it's the plastic tab on the camera then you're out of luck.

Thanks for that and I have decided to be patient to look before I try and
work out what to do. If I cang et it working it will be a big bonus as a
pocket size camera for times where my Panny Bridge camera is to big for me
to be bothered with.
Ken

Old August 12th 08, 10:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
michael adams[_3_]

"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote in message ...
http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/ni...ages/batts.jpg

A fiend is letting me have his old Nikon 7900 in about two weeks but tells
me the battery cover just will not stay in closed position. Cover as per
link.
My friend is not practical so got a new camera but I am hoping I can fix
this?
Anyone with any experience with any tips?

Ken

If all else fails -

From the photo a narrow strip of Duck tape* should do it. There seems just
about enough room at the back without it interfering with the control disc
although it would probably cover over the flower macro symbol. In fact looking
at the photo again it could be run along the bottom of the camera and up the side,
It may need replacing every time the battery is changed however.
"Waxed" paper, as is used as backing for sticky labels etc. is useful stuff for
cutting Duck tape and similar into into narrow strips I find. Lay the Duck tape
onto the backing which has been placed on a flat surface and cut into strips as you
would anything else. Then just peel it off. Duck tape leaves a stucky residue but
so long as its covered over by the new strip there should be no problem. It can always be
cleaned off with alcohol, white spirit or lighter fuel in any case.

*As you're posting from the UK, The Wilkinsons version of Duck tape works just as well
for similar jobs IME .

michael adams

Old August 12th 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:44:03 +0100, "Ken" Reply to NG only wrote:

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/ni...ages/batts.jpg

A fiend is letting me have his old Nikon 7900 in about two weeks but tells
me the battery cover just will not stay in closed position. Cover as per
link.
My friend is not practical so got a new camera but I am hoping I can fix
this?
Anyone with any experience with any tips?

Use a rubber band to hold it closed.

Old August 13th 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen[_3_]

SMS wrote:
Ken wrote:
http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/ni...ages/batts.jpg

A fiend is letting me have his old Nikon 7900 in about two weeks but
tells me the battery cover just will not stay in closed position.
Cover as per link.
My friend is not practical so got a new camera but I am hoping I can
fix this?
Anyone with any experience with any tips?

Depends which part is broken. If it's the battery cover, you can buy a
new one. If it's the plastic tab on the camera then you're out of luck.

As they say, "When the going gets tough, the tough get duct tape..."
I don't know the camera, but it might be worth a try if all else fails.
Allen
Old August 13th 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Ken wrote:
http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/ni...ages/batts.jpg

A fiend is letting me have his old Nikon 7900 in about two weeks but tells
me the battery cover just will not stay in closed position. Cover as per
link.
My friend is not practical so got a new camera but I am hoping I can fix
this?
Anyone with any experience with any tips?

Ken

While rubber bands, duct tape, and velcro are all options, I prefer to
do repairs that are a bit more elegant.

I've repaired plastic tabs on camera doors (both the latch side and
hinge side). One thing that often works is to take a straight pin, bend
it to the shape of the broken tab (but a little longer), then push the
pin against the plastic of the camera body while heating the pin with a
soldering iron. The pin will go into the soft plastic of the camera body.

Some people use paper clips or staples as well.

See
"http://www.omgili.com/newsgroups/sci/electronics/design/8xWRi112884V67814newssvr14newsprodigynet.html&q=th e+best+digital+camera+on+the+market"
for some ways people fixed their Nikon battery latches. Amusingly, one
of the photos is of how Nikon retooled the molds to fix it.
Old August 13th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 17:28:48 -0700, SMS wrote:

While rubber bands, duct tape, and velcro are all options, I prefer to
do repairs that are a bit more elegant.

Fancy that. And all this time I believed you when you said that
it was only AA battery covers that failed. I guess that you'll
swiftly correct this oversight and add one more negative to your
website's list of Li-Ion drawbacks.

Old August 13th 08, 08:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken

"Nervous Nick" wrote in message
On Aug 12, 4:12 pm, "michael adams" wrote:
"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote in
k...

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/ni...ages/batts.jpg

A fiend is letting me have his old Nikon 7900 in about two weeks but
tells
me the battery cover just will not stay in closed position. Cover as per
link.
My friend is not practical so got a new camera but I am hoping I can fix
this?
Anyone with any experience with any tips?

Ken

If all else fails -

From the photo a narrow strip of Duck tape* should do it. There seems just
[...]

If there is room to use tape, a better idea would be to use Velcro.

I broke a battery cover on my first Powershot not long after I got
it. I just used some adhesive-backed velcro tape to make a velcro
"latch" which lasted for years. I carved it to fit on the camera, and
it looked kinda weird but did the job. If you have to change the
battery or card on your camera you could just unzip the velcro. The
problem is to find room on the camera to stick at least a bit of the
velcro.

--
YOP...

Good idea?
Ken

Old August 13th 08, 08:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken

wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:44:03 +0100, "Ken" Reply to NG only wrote:

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/ni...ages/batts.jpg

A fiend is letting me have his old Nikon 7900 in about two weeks but
tells
me the battery cover just will not stay in closed position. Cover as per
link.
My friend is not practical so got a new camera but I am hoping I can fix
this?
Anyone with any experience with any tips?

Use a rubber band to hold it closed.

Any links to where I could get the said product. What about thickness, size
and elasticity spec. ;-)