Where to get my "special" slide film developed?

Old April 29th 04, 06:56 AM

Default Where to get my "special" slide film developed?

We just got back from a major trip to several national parks in the
west - Grand Canyon, Bryce, etc. I took about 4 rolls of slide film
- mostly Fuji Velvia 100. A friend of mine who works at a Wal-Mart
photo center says the Fuji developing they use would do just as good a
job of developing my slides as any lab. I know a pro wildlife
photographer who uses a small lab somewhere in the west for his
slides. I'm in no huge hurry and want to do the right thing. I
havn't taken slides in years, so I don't know what to do.
Thanks for any help.
New to the group and my apologies if this has been hashed over before.
Bob Henninger
Old April 29th 04, 11:13 AM
Jim Phelps

wrote in message
We just got back from a major trip to several national parks in the
west - Grand Canyon, Bryce, etc. I took about 4 rolls of slide film
- mostly Fuji Velvia 100. A friend of mine who works at a Wal-Mart
photo center says the Fuji developing they use would do just as good a
job of developing my slides as any lab. I know a pro wildlife
photographer who uses a small lab somewhere in the west for his
slides. I'm in no huge hurry and want to do the right thing. I
havn't taken slides in years, so I don't know what to do.
Thanks for any help.
New to the group and my apologies if this has been hashed over before.
Bob Henninger

Bob,

Welcome to the group.

Best advise, use the same pro lab your friend does. If you need names,
pick up a _Shutterbug_ magazine at your local book store and look for one
near you in the advertising section. The rest of the magazine will have
interesting info so it won't be just for the ad.

I would stay away from WalMart or any of the consumer/high volume
processing points. If the pictures you took are valuable to you, don't
skimp on processing. It's the one thing that will break all your shots in
one fell swoop. A chunk of dirt in the film path and you'll have a scratch
down every slide. Chemistry at the end of it's replenishment cycle and
dingy colors. Not that it can't happen in a pro lab, just, if it happens 1
in 100,000 rolls, the lower volume means you have a better chance it not
happening to you. Pro lab operators are normally better qualified and
trained in their job. That changes the odds in your favor as well.

If you are intending on getting them made into prints, ask (or look for)
the lab doing your processing if they offer a scanning service as well. You
may opt to get them all scanned, or review them and scan just those you
want. Some better labs will send you scanned, thumbnail, low res 'proofs'
via E-Mail to make your choices. It really is 'you get what you paid for'.

Jim

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old April 29th 04, 05:11 PM
RSD99

posted:
"... I know a pro wildlife photographer who uses a small lab somewhere in the west for his
slides.
...."

Probably A&I in Hollywood or The NewLab in San Francisco.

http://aandi.com/
http://www.newlab.com/

I don't have any experience with The NewLab ... but George Lepp (Outdoor Photography
magazine) has used them. A&I however is consistently one of the best labs available.

Other posters have posted
"... I would stay away from WalMart or any of the consumer/high volume processing
points. ..." That is VERY good advice ... and that specifically *includes* your local
camera store(s), particularly if they are chains such as "Ritz" or "Wolfe."

For a write-up (somewhat optimistic) of some of the various labs doing E6 processing ...
see
http://web.mit.edu/cai/www/photo/labs.html
http://www.photo.net/neighbor/one-su...=5&by_date_p=t

Note that Fuji's lab in Phoenix has very mixed reviews ... having treated some customers
very well, and totally ****ing of others by scratching, losing, or ruining their film! I'd
"pass" on your friend's offer to send the film there.

Old May 13th 04, 05:00 PM
ThomasH

RSD99 wrote:

posted:
"... I know a pro wildlife photographer who uses a small lab somewhere in
the west for his slides.
..."

Probably A&I in Hollywood or The NewLab in San Francisco.

http://aandi.com/
http://www.newlab.com/

Another excellent choice is Calypso in Santa Clara, CA

http://www.calypsoinc.com/

They serve the community of professional photographers here in
the area and are in my eyes the No 1 choice I ever encountered.

Recently they told me that their film business is not declining
yet because so many places dropped film development and they
collect additional customers.

Thomas

Old June 10th 04, 01:31 AM
Michael A. Covington

Let me second what others are saying - Find a professional-quality E-6 lab
(Kodak or Fuji process; they're the same). I use Colorchrome in Atlanta
(www.colorchrome.com). Every major city has at least one.

Old June 20th 04, 02:23 PM
Dick

Dale Labs at http://www.dalelabs.com/ does a good job with slide film
I believe. You can also call them at 800 327-1776 and request
envelopes to mail your film to them. The web site gives prices.

Dick