Developed Some Colour film in B&W Chem

Old August 30th 04, 11:01 AM
Justin Thyme

Default Developed Some Colour film in B&W Chem

My wife wanted some film to use in her scrapbooking, so she bought a roll of
cheap crappy colour film from the supermarket. A few weeks ago I was
pondering what would happen if C41 colour film was developed in B&W chem,
and posted a question in here about it. Considering my wife wanted this film
for her scrapbooking, I decided it was the perfect time to find out, so I
ran it through the cam, and developed it in some chemistry that I was about
to throw out. I didn't have a clue what development time to use. I
normally use Fuji Neopan SS (100ISO), and develop it in Ilford LC29 at 1:19.
This normally takes 5min @ 20C, so I figured I'd use the same for the ISO
100 colour film. Since I'd already developed a few rolls in this chem, I
decided to increase the time to 6min.
So, after 6 min I pour the developer out, and it had a pale yellow colour,
kind of like urine. Continued on with the process, gave it 5 minutes of
fixing, and observed the result. There on a very dark brown base were quite
clear B&W negatives. So trotted up to my favourite lab to get them on CD.
The first time they attempted to feed it, the machine gave an error -
presumably the dark brown base was confusing it too much. So they fed it
again from the other end, and it picked it up ok. To my great surprise I
now have a CD with some excellent photos on it. They are a bit grainy, but
otherwise quite clear. I'll try to set up a web page to put some of the best
on, and post the link here when it's done.

--
Australia: Love it, or leave it!