Nikon Coolpix 8800 lens will not move

Old December 27th 04, 07:27 PM
stan

Default Nikon Coolpix 8800 lens will not move

New Camera...lens will not retract...screen reads Error. Cannot find
help telephone number, cannot figure out whether camera needs to go
back to Nikon or is there a simple fix to this. Any help would be
appreciated.

Stan

Old December 27th 04, 09:01 PM
Frank ess

stan wrote:
New Camera...lens will not retract...screen reads Error. Cannot find
help telephone number, cannot figure out whether camera needs to go
back to Nikon or is there a simple fix to this. Any help would be
appreciated.

Stan

You'd think Nikon would have solved the notorious "lens error" by the
third generation.

My CP5700 got that, and I cured it twice by removing the battery for an
hour or so, if I recall. The third time, it went back to the factory,
and I have been very careful since, remembering to change to View mode
before storing it, and never letting anything (including inappropriate
filters) impede lens extention when it is on.

I have had the message a few times on the CP8700, but it has always
responded to turning it off and on.

--
Frank ess

Old December 28th 04, 03:21 PM
TheNewsGuy

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:01:45 -0800, "Frank ess"
wrote:

... I have been very careful since, remembering to change to View mode
before storing it,

I did not understand that advice when I first started using my 5700,
but after a few weeks I realized that was an important habit to get
into. "Always set it to View Mode, when storing." Yep, Yep. Yep.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Old December 28th 04, 10:28 PM
TheNewsGuy

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:18:52 +0000, jmc

Hmm. Does this apply to the 8700 too? Never had a problem with it,
though the old 4300 did this once or twice.

I would guess it happens with the 8700. The problem is the On/Off
lever that can easily be knocked into the "On" position in a camera
bag when there is movement or another article is placed near the
camera. Then the lens extends and if there is an obstruction, as
there would be in a camera bag, you get the lockup problem.

I find setting it to "View" an easy solution. Then, if the camera is
accidently turned on, the lens does not try to extend.