Elements vs Photoshop - comparison of features/abilities question

Old October 20th 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Steven Wandy

Default Elements vs Photoshop - comparison of features/abilities question

I have been upgrading my versions of PS (now at CS3) but I do 90% of
my pp work in Lightroom (now LR2).
Considering getting Elements - simplier, cheaper - but concerned what
features/abilities I would be missing going from PS to Elements. Is
there anywhere that has a definitive comparison of the two product
lines? (I did spend time going through Adobe's site and forum but
could not find anything helpful.)
Thanks,
Steve
Old October 20th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Steven Wandy wrote:
I have been upgrading my versions of PS (now at CS3) but I do 90% of
my pp work in Lightroom (now LR2).
Considering getting Elements - simplier, cheaper - but concerned what
features/abilities I would be missing going from PS to Elements. Is
there anywhere that has a definitive comparison of the two product
lines? (I did spend time going through Adobe's site and forum but
could not find anything helpful.)

I suggest downloading the 30 day trial. Also, updating to the updated LR
2.1, release candidate (links at Lightroom forum:
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b687dc)

Are you using PS CS3 now?

--
john mcwilliams
Old October 20th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stephen Henning

Steven Wandy wrote:

I have been upgrading my versions of PS (now at CS3) but I do 90% of
my pp work in Lightroom (now LR2).
Considering getting Elements - simplier, cheaper - but concerned what
features/abilities I would be missing going from PS to Elements. Is
there anywhere that has a definitive comparison of the two product
lines? (I did spend time going through Adobe's site and forum but
could not find anything helpful.)

I have both and use Elements for photograph editing 99.99% of the time.
I save PS for more creative pursuits. Elements is organized for photo
editing and seems to have all of the essential tools and accepts all the
PS plugins.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA -
Old October 20th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Steven Wandy

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:47:00 -0700, John McWilliams
wrote:

Steven Wandy wrote:
I have been upgrading my versions of PS (now at CS3) but I do 90% of
my pp work in Lightroom (now LR2).
Considering getting Elements - simplier, cheaper - but concerned what
features/abilities I would be missing going from PS to Elements. Is
there anywhere that has a definitive comparison of the two product
lines? (I did spend time going through Adobe's site and forum but
could not find anything helpful.)

I suggest downloading the 30 day trial. Also, updating to the updated LR
2.1, release candidate (links at Lightroom forum:
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b687dc)

Are you using PS CS3 now?

John,
I have already gotten LR2.1 and can't wait for the "official release".

Yes, I have CS3 now.
Steve
Old October 20th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
trouble

I have been using PS for many years. I got Elements to use on a laptop.
Elements is NOT CS3 light.
The Elements converter has limited tools.
While non-destructive layered editing can be done on the Elements desktop it
is far more restrictive than what you can do in Photoshop and requires
significant relearning of what you cannot do.
If you are familiar with and have a good workflow in Photoshop then you will
waste time learning to do analogous operations in Elements.
In fact when I get my copy of CS4 I am going to transfer the license for CS3
to my laptop.
I think that people who use Lightroom but are not batch processing large
numbers of image sets with similar exposures just like the
restricted/simplified image adjustment parameters of Lightroom as compared
to Photoshop. Those people, who really should not be using Lightroom, would
probably like Elements.

Old October 21st 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Steven Wandy wrote:
I have been upgrading my versions of PS (now at CS3) but I do 90% of
my pp work in Lightroom (now LR2).
Considering getting Elements - simplier, cheaper - but concerned what
features/abilities I would be missing going from PS to Elements. Is
there anywhere that has a definitive comparison of the two product
lines? (I did spend time going through Adobe's site and forum but
could not find anything helpful.)

I don't know, however the reasons I upgraded to CS3 last year a

- CYMK: the display of these values are essential to getting better
prints; esp. skin tones. (eg: yellow/magenta levels).

- 16-bit processing. Many Elements processes are in 16 bit but some
only support 8 bit. So one has to do as much work in the 16 bit
functions before converting the image space to 8 bit for the remaining
functions. These are not always in the order desired.

- Less cluttered workspace. Elements has a 'rich' workspace that is
visually appealing (at least in v 6) but that requires more CPU to drive
the frills. CS3 is quite bare bones and no thrills. Just what's needed.

- CS3 has much better control over layers of various kinds as well as a
more accurate lassoo to mark complex edges (and with lower 'level'
contrast).

There are likely a dozen other reasons. The first 2 above were my main
reasons for upgrading from Elements (3) to CS3.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old October 21st 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:14:18 -0400, Stephen Henning
wrote:

Steven Wandy wrote:

I have been upgrading my versions of PS (now at CS3) but I do 90% of
my pp work in Lightroom (now LR2).
Considering getting Elements - simplier, cheaper - but concerned what
features/abilities I would be missing going from PS to Elements. Is
there anywhere that has a definitive comparison of the two product
lines? (I did spend time going through Adobe's site and forum but
could not find anything helpful.)

I have both and use Elements for photograph editing 99.99% of the time.
I save PS for more creative pursuits. Elements is organized for photo
editing and seems to have all of the essential tools and accepts all the
PS plugins.

Pardon me changing the subject but can any of you guys tell me how to
stop PS Elements rushing up every time I plug in a camera and trying
download my photographs for me? Whatever is the setting, its well
buried.

Eric Stevens
Old October 21st 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

wrote:

Steven Wandy wrote:

[...]

O/S?

Keep Elements quit?
--
john mcwilliams
Old October 21st 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
peter

Pardon me changing the subject but can any of you guys tell me how to
stop PS Elements rushing up every time I plug in a camera and trying
download my photographs for me? Whatever is the setting, its well
buried.

Eric Stevens

Hello.

When you open Photoshop Elements 6.0, choose "Organize" if you still have
the welcome screen enabled, otherwise load the "Organizer" workspace.

Once this is open, click "Edit Preferences Camera Or Card
Reader"

Remove the tick from the box that says:

"Auto Launch Adobe Photo Downloader on Device Connect"

That should do it!

Peter