ICM-aware image viewer?

Old April 18th 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default ICM-aware image viewer?

Hi!

Are there any [free] ICM-Aware picture/image/photo viewers out there? I
have just calibrated my monitor and now only Photoshop supports color
management.

Are there any free programs, like IrfanView, that support color
management, namely monitor profiles?

Thanks,
Miha.

Old April 19th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

What you see on your monitor is what you see on your monitor.
A calibration program, e.g. Monaco or Spyder, inserts itself into the video
card driver before any program shows you anything.
Many programs will open tif, jpeg and even psd files as long as they are
recorded in a recognizable manner, which primarily means sRGB or AdobeRGB.
I am not aware of any programs that will recognize a tiff file that
Photoshop records with a non-standard profile like LAB or CMYK.
Why you would want a cheapie program to view or interconvert unusual
profiles, which may cause irreversible loss of data from the image by the
conversion, is something I do not understand.

Old April 19th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 03:00:49 GMT, "bmoag" wrote:

What you see on your monitor is what you see on your monitor.
A calibration program, e.g. Monaco or Spyder, inserts itself into the video
card driver before any program shows you anything.
Many programs will open tif, jpeg and even psd files as long as they are
recorded in a recognizable manner, which primarily means sRGB or AdobeRGB.
I am not aware of any programs that will recognize a tiff file that
Photoshop records with a non-standard profile like LAB or CMYK.
Why you would want a cheapie program to view or interconvert unusual
profiles, which may cause irreversible loss of data from the image by the
conversion, is something I do not understand.

I'm with you except for this part: does the viewer
read the image file's workspace tag and adjust
the RGB values accordingly?

In what way would an AdobeRGB file be treated
differently from an sRGB file?

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
Old April 19th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 09:29:02 -0400, Raphael Bustin
wrote:

I can't speak for other image browsers. jimbok
says Faststone is ICC-aware. I have that also,
but I'm less familiar with it. Like XnView, it's free.

I should have mentioned that you have to turn on color management in
Faststone's "settings" menu. It is not the default setting.
--
jimbok
Old April 20th 06, 07:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Raphael Bustin wrote:

I'm with you except for this part: does the viewer
read the image file's workspace tag and adjust
the RGB values accordingly?

In what way would an AdobeRGB file be treated
differently from an sRGB file?

You're right, the monitor profile is used by the OS for EVERY application
once it's calibrated but most viewers assume the image is sRGB and don't
understand or even look at the color tags so aRGB images aren't displayed
correctly, they are displayed like they were sRGB ones.

That's why I tell people I teach, if you don't understand color management
well or really need aRGB, stick with sRGB. It makes life a lot less
complex!

--

Stacey