Fuji and the horror of complex lens variation

Old November 27th 05, 05:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Fuji and the horror of complex lens variation

This thread was (or should be) terrifying for anyone buying
a camera/lens where the price is "artificially low." The 10x+ zooms
on these cameras have great complexity. They are asked to zoom to 10x
their lowest focal length, act as macro lenses, etc. All in a camera
that costs around $700.00. The differences this guy found would be a
"deal breaker" for anyone considering the camera who was looking for
good performance. The question is, is this a fluke (bad product) or
is this the range of variation one can expect with that model's lens??
-Rich

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16010533
Old November 27th 05, 09:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

The best quality long zoom range lenses right now appear to be the Leica
lenses supplied with the Panasonic FZ5/FZ20 series cameras. But even
there, as with any bulk-manufactured product, an odd bad example may slip
through.

If someone is unhappy with the results they are getting, take the camera
back to the shop where you bought it.

The Fuji model you mention offers, I believe, a long zoom range lens with
no image stabilisation - not a combination I would purchase today.

David

Old November 27th 05, 12:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On $DATE , David J Taylor wrote:

The best quality long zoom range lenses right now appear to be
the Leica
lenses supplied with the Panasonic FZ5/FZ20 series cameras. But
even there, as with any bulk-manufactured product, an odd bad
example may slip through.

If someone is unhappy with the results they are getting, take the
camera back to the shop where you bought it.

The Fuji model you mention offers, I believe, a long zoom range
lens with no image stabilisation - not a combination I would
purchase today.

I just bought a Fuji S9000 and I'm delighted with it. There seems
to be an "anti-fuji" element on this newsgroup and people need to
do their own research to determine which camera is best for them.
Talk to many people, face to face where possible, and consider the
source for your information. There is a lot of competition in
this industry and some company's are not above organizing "trash
talk campaigns" to discredit their competitors.

Fred.
(Please remove FFFf from my email address to reply, if by email)
Old November 27th 05, 01:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Fred Williams wrote:

On $DATE , David J Taylor wrote:
snip
The Fuji model you mention offers, I believe, a long zoom range
lens with no image stabilisation - not a combination I would
purchase today.

I just bought a Fuji S9000 and I'm delighted with it. There seems
to be an "anti-fuji" element on this newsgroup and people need to
do their own research to determine which camera is best for them.

I'm not convinced about a specific "anti Fuji" bias, just a desire to
talk up the latest tech and disparage anything that isn't "leading
edge" technology.
I had owned a Minolta DiMage 7i for 3 years (until the Sony 5mp sensor
died and it was replaced free with an A200 by Konica Minolta) and it
was perhaps one of the best digicams that I've owned.
No stabilisation and (only!) 5mp, but because of the lack of moving
parts (no mirror slap or big shutter to impart shake) I was able to
hand-hold to half (or less) the shutter speed suggested by the old
1/(focal length) rule of thumb and still get nice sharp pictures.

Assuming that the lens on your digicam has good contrast and sharpness,
then it is realy up to "the nut behind the lens" to do their job :-)

Old November 27th 05, 01:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Fred Williams wrote:
On $DATE , David J Taylor wrote:

[...]

I am sure you are not suggesting that I am in any way part of such a
campaign.

I would love the lower noise of certain Fuji sensors (if they have made a
genuine advance there), but I stick by my views that:

- anything mass-produced may have the occasional bad item, which should be
replaced immediately by the supplier

- a long zoom without image stabilisation is not something I would buy or
recommend to others.

I'm pleased that your new purchase is doing what /you/ need.

David

Old November 27th 05, 02:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message . uk...
Fred Williams wrote:
On $DATE , David J Taylor wrote:

[...]

Hi all.

My wife has had a Fuji S5500, with the 10x Zoom, for a year now.

She is no "Expert" photographer, but when saving and tweaking her Pics, I
can see no signs of "Shake" or any major lens faults.

I have printed a number of her pics at 10 x 8, and there is nothing wrong
with the quality.

I suspect there seems to be certain amount of bias, on this group, not so
much against Fuji, but in favour of the Leica badged lenses of another
maker. A real Leica lens on a camera costing less than $2000, come on, who
is kidding who.

Roy G

Old November 27th 05, 02:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Fred Williams" wrote in message
On $DATE , David J Taylor wrote:

[...]

I agree with you. The blurry pictures seemed to be plainly out of focus or
shaky. The article is biased. Even a cheap digicam cannot take a photo that
bad. It is not the lens's fault if the camera holder uses a long zoom and
cannot hold the camera still.

Wannabe
=======

Old November 27th 05, 02:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Tesco News wrote:
[]
I suspect there seems to be certain amount of bias, on this group,
not so much against Fuji, but in favour of the Leica badged lenses of
another maker. A real Leica lens on a camera costing less than
$2000, come on, who is kidding who.

Roy G

It's simple. If you compare the images produced, the Leica lens wins.

David

Old November 27th 05, 04:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On $DATE , David J Taylor wrote:

The best quality long zoom range lenses right now appear to be
the Leica
lenses supplied with the Panasonic FZ5/FZ20 series cameras. But
even there, as with any bulk-manufactured product, an odd bad
example may slip through.

If someone is unhappy with the results they are getting, take the
camera back to the shop where you bought it.

The Fuji model you mention offers, I believe, a long zoom range
lens with no image stabilisation - not a combination I would
purchase today.

I just bought a Fuji S9000 and I'm delighted with it. There seems
to be an "anti-fuji" element on this newsgroup and people need to
do their own research to determine which camera is best for them.

No, it is more likely that Fuji owners are thin skinned. I for one own
Nikon gear. They make some great lenses, some very good ones, and a few
that are best ignored.
Jim