"Coat pocket" cameras?

Old September 5th 19, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

Default "Coat pocket" cameras?

Mine is a Canon Ixus 850 IS, but it must be ten years old and it is
getting tired. Looking for a replacement, it's surprisingly good for
macro, focuses down to a few centimetres, and I'd like to have that
capability. I'd wondered about the Olympus TG-5 or 6 although I don't
really need that much weatherproofing (and I'd prefer something a bit
cheaper). I only have a cheap smartphone and that's not quite good enough.
Old September 5th 19, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
newshound wrote:

Mine is a Canon Ixus 850 IS, but it must be ten years old and it is
getting tired. Looking for a replacement, it's surprisingly good for
macro, focuses down to a few centimetres, and I'd like to have that
capability. I'd wondered about the Olympus TG-5 or 6 although I don't
really need that much weatherproofing (and I'd prefer something a bit
cheaper). I only have a cheap smartphone and that's not quite good enough.

get a better smartphone
Old September 5th 19, 08:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 05/09/2019 20:17, nospam wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:

Mine is a Canon Ixus 850 IS, but it must be ten years old and it is
getting tired. Looking for a replacement, it's surprisingly good for
macro, focuses down to a few centimetres, and I'd like to have that
capability. I'd wondered about the Olympus TG-5 or 6 although I don't
really need that much weatherproofing (and I'd prefer something a bit
cheaper). I only have a cheap smartphone and that's not quite good enough.

get a better smartphone

No, because I don't need to impress people, and I'm not going to carry
around a thousand pounds worth of fragile hardware everywhere I go.
Old September 5th 19, 09:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
newshound wrote:

Mine is a Canon Ixus 850 IS, but it must be ten years old and it is
getting tired. Looking for a replacement, it's surprisingly good for
macro, focuses down to a few centimetres, and I'd like to have that
capability. I'd wondered about the Olympus TG-5 or 6 although I don't
really need that much weatherproofing (and I'd prefer something a bit
cheaper). I only have a cheap smartphone and that's not quite good enough.

get a better smartphone

No, because I don't need to impress people, and I'm not going to carry
around a thousand pounds worth of fragile hardware everywhere I go.

nobody cares what smartphone you use nor do you need to spend that much
on a smartphone.

modern smartphone cameras are better than compact cameras, other than
long zoom lenses (which makes it bulky), and it's one less thing to
carry.

a google pixel 3a will blow away any compact camera with its night
sight mode, and even many slrs. iphones capture a depth map allowing
for refocusing and adjusting depth of field *after* the shot was taken.
Old September 5th 19, 10:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 9/5/2019 3:02 PM, newshound wrote:
Mine is a Canon Ixus 850 IS, but it must be ten years old and it is
getting tired. Looking for a replacement, it's surprisingly good for
macro, focuses down to a few centimetres, and I'd like to have that
capability. I'd wondered about the Olympus TG-5 or 6 although I don't
really need that much weatherproofing (and I'd prefer something a bit
cheaper). I only have a cheap smartphone and that's not quite good enough.

I've have an Olympus TG-4, and have been quite satisfied with it. Its
macro and close focusing capabilities are similar to what you are used
to, and its telephoto range is long enough that a a brace (or tripod) is
useful. It gets good battery life, and accessories are reasonable. If
you do a lot of macro work, I recommend the macro flash adapter.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old September 5th 19, 10:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bud Spencer

On Thu, 5 Sep 2019, Neil wrote:

On 9/5/2019 3:02 PM, newshound wrote:
Mine is a Canon Ixus 850 IS, but it must be ten years old and it is getting
tired. Looking for a replacement, it's surprisingly good for macro, focuses
down to a few centimetres, and I'd like to have that capability. I'd
wondered about the Olympus TG-5 or 6 although I don't really need that much
weatherproofing (and I'd prefer something a bit cheaper). I only have a
cheap smartphone and that's not quite good enough.

I've have an Olympus TG-4, and have been quite satisfied with it. Its macro
and close focusing capabilities are similar to what you are used to, and its
telephoto range is long enough that a a brace (or tripod) is useful. It gets
good battery life, and accessories are reasonable. If you do a lot of macro
work, I recommend the macro flash adapter.

I have lx100 still. Can do what I need with it. If it doesn't stop working
for some reason I see no point for me to get replacement.

Should I ever get a new one, I think I'll might go for secondhand Ricoh GR
.... people talk good about those thingies.

Old September 6th 19, 11:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 05/09/2019 21:35, nospam wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:

[...]

Not going to happen. And I am never buying Google hardware again after
the appalling customer service I had with Pixel-Cs
Old September 6th 19, 11:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 05/09/2019 22:11, Neil wrote:
On 9/5/2019 3:02 PM, newshound wrote:
Mine is a Canon Ixus 850 IS, but it must be ten years old and it is
getting tired. Looking for a replacement, it's surprisingly good for
macro, focuses down to a few centimetres, and I'd like to have that
capability. I'd wondered about the Olympus TG-5 or 6 although I don't
really need that much weatherproofing (and I'd prefer something a bit
cheaper). I only have a cheap smartphone and that's not quite good
enough.

I've have an Olympus TG-4, and have been quite satisfied with it. Its
macro and close focusing capabilities are similar to what you are used
to, and its telephoto range is long enough that a a brace (or tripod) is
useful. It gets good battery life, and accessories are reasonable. If
you do a lot of macro work, I recommend the macro flash adapter.

Thanks. I'd seen (and like the look of) the two different macro light
adaptors. Which do you have?

Might go and have a chat with my local dealer once the Fuji X 16-80
comes available.
Old September 6th 19, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 9/6/2019 6:16 AM, newshound wrote:
On 05/09/2019 22:11, Neil wrote:
On 9/5/2019 3:02 PM, newshound wrote:
Mine is a Canon Ixus 850 IS, but it must be ten years old and it is
getting tired. Looking for a replacement, it's surprisingly good for
macro, focuses down to a few centimetres, and I'd like to have that
capability. I'd wondered about the Olympus TG-5 or 6 although I don't
really need that much weatherproofing (and I'd prefer something a bit
cheaper). I only have a cheap smartphone and that's not quite good
enough.

Â*
I've have an Olympus TG-4, and have been quite satisfied with it. Its
macro and close focusing capabilities are similar to what you are used
to, and its telephoto range is long enough that a a brace (or tripod)
is useful. It gets good battery life, and accessories are reasonable.
If you do a lot of macro work, I recommend the macro flash adapter.

Thanks. I'd seen (and like the look of) the two different macro light
adaptors. Which do you have?

Might go and have a chat with my local dealer once the Fuji X 16-80
comes available.

I have the LG-1, which was the only one at the time of purchase. It
works well.

It really lives up to its "tough" name. I bought the camera to take on
our expedition to the Galapagos, and though it was banged around on the
rocks, in the Zodiac and while kayaking and boarding, there isn't a
scratch on the camera.

Its 10m depth capability was also a great feature when diving, and it
was very easy to clean the sal****er off of it afterwards. Even
underwater, the menu options are easy to access.

It is a very well thought-out "coat pocket" camera.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old September 6th 19, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 06/09/2019 19:38, RichA wrote:
On Thursday, 5 September 2019 15:02:38 UTC-4, newshound wrote:
Mine is a Canon Ixus 850 IS, but it must be ten years old and it is
getting tired. Looking for a replacement, it's surprisingly good for
macro, focuses down to a few centimetres, and I'd like to have that
capability. I'd wondered about the Olympus TG-5 or 6 although I don't
really need that much weatherproofing (and I'd prefer something a bit
cheaper). I only have a cheap smartphone and that's not quite good enough.

Olympus Tough models. Much less likely they end up with a jammed zoom because of pocket lint or particles which are the number 1 killer of pocket cameras.

Good point. Although by "pocket" I'm really trying to indicate the size.
My ixus has lived in a little Lowepro case designed to clip on a belt,
and it is quite snug under the velcro flap. I think I did have a zoom
stick once, but it freed itself up. Sounds like I might home in on a Tough.