senior portraits, digitally

Old October 5th 04, 09:42 PM
George

Default senior portraits, digitally

How are photographers handling acne? Make-up? Softar filters? Digital
manipulation?

TIA,
George

Old October 6th 04, 02:51 AM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , George
wrote:

How are photographers handling acne? Make-up? Softar filters? Digital
manipulation?

Back in the pre-digital age we did it with a combination of negative
retouching and print work if needed. Nowadays you should be able to do
it all digitally. Of course, you want to cut the sharpness of the lens
somehow, as most people's skin can't handle the sharpness. Whether you
use a Softar or a real soft focus lens or whatever, it really doesn't
matter. I used Softars on Hasselblad for many years but in my RB67
days also loved their soft focus lens. Even used Yary diffusers behind
the lens with the RB for a while but didn't like 'em.
Old October 6th 04, 08:57 AM
What's In A Name?

They are probably recomending "Pro Active Solution", you know that acne
stuff that is sponsered by Judith Light from Who's The Boss?

Apparently it works wonders!

Old October 6th 04, 08:55 PM
George

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
In article , George
wrote:

How are photographers handling acne? Make-up? Softar filters? Digital
manipulation?

Back in the pre-digital age we did it with a combination of negative
retouching and print work if needed. Nowadays you should be able to do
it all digitally. Of course, you want to cut the sharpness of the lens
somehow, as most people's skin can't handle the sharpness. Whether you
use a Softar or a real soft focus lens or whatever, it really doesn't
matter. I used Softars on Hasselblad for many years but in my RB67
days also loved their soft focus lens. Even used Yary diffusers behind
the lens with the RB for a while but didn't like 'em.

Maybe I could have phrased this a bit better g. I know you CAN get rid of
it
via all the methods I listed in my question. What I want to know is the
practicality
of the various ways from someone who makes some money doing this. I know
Softars aren't cheap, but if it takes very long to retouch digitally...

TIA,
George

BTW--What is a "Yary diffuser"? That one is new to me...

Old October 7th 04, 02:55 AM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , George
wrote:

BTW--What is a "Yary diffuser"? That one is new to me...

Yary diffusers were just black mesh mounted in a ring with a rubber
seal that went in the rear of an RB 180mm lens. There were 3 different
ones with varying degrees of diffusion. I didn't like 'em. For the RB
you can't beat their Imagon wanna-be. The 150mm was a little short for
my taste but the soft focus was outstanding.
Old October 7th 04, 03:00 AM
Frank ess

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
In article , George
wrote:

BTW--What is a "Yary diffuser"? That one is new to me...

Yary diffusers were just black mesh mounted in a ring with a rubber
seal that went in the rear of an RB 180mm lens. There were 3
different ones with varying degrees of diffusion. I didn't like 'em.
For the RB you can't beat their Imagon wanna-be. The 150mm was a
little short for my taste but the soft focus was outstanding.

Meanwhile, I've seen a few tutorials and recipes for softening the
impact of facial craters and such. A quick and easy one involves a
softened layer (Gaussian blur) with adjusted transparency, and erasure
of the soft layer in the areas of items that should be sharp: eyes,
eyebrows, teeth, nasal hair, et cetera.

--
Frank ess

Old October 7th 04, 04:10 AM
Drifter

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 03:57:28 -0400, "What's In A Name?"
wrote:

They are probably recomending "Pro Active Solution", you know that acne
stuff that is sponsered by Judith Light from Who's The Boss?

Apparently it works wonders!

Okay, off topic but my wife uses that stuff and it is amazing how well
it works for her. Back on topic, makes her feel good enough that
she'll let me use her as a portrait model (which she would NOT do
before). Finally I'm getting some experience with portrait
photography grin.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."
Old October 7th 04, 05:32 AM
zeitgeist

How are photographers handling acne? Make-up? Softar filters? Digital
manipulation?

You know you don't see much anymore, it used to be as common as rust. I
guess with drugs and/or medicated gooes they've pretty much gotten rid of
most it.

You can do quite a bit in photoshop. Get a graphic pad like a Waccom, it
makes it soooooo much faster.

Make up does more than shape up the skin, it helps shape up the personality.

Remember, part of the product is the experience. If the result was
effortless then the product is valueless. The guys that get $1,000
averages are doing a couple steps that get the subjects involved in the
project, makes them put out effort as part of the creative team. Getting
them in for a consultation where you discuss or design the image, a clothes
follow up where they bring in their outfits to see if they work, the make up
session. It all makes them feel like they are going on stage to perform for
you.

soft lens worked to smooth out the spectral highlights on the skin texture.
Make them blur the micro bumps and fine lines. negative retouching couldn't
do a thing for the bright areas, (they were dense on the neg) a retoucher
can only add density to light areas, (which are the dark or shadow on the
print) so the soft was doing some of the half of the job the neg retoucher
couldn't do.

so the answer to your question is yes, all of the above.