All-in-One PCs

Old February 1st 16, 10:48 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default All-in-One PCs

In article , PeterN wrote:

Sandman:
Of course, that's a given. If a computer that is seemingly similar
costs less, the customer is more likely to buy that one. But this
subthread started to talk about resale value and correctly
identified that few people are aware of it or even consider it (or
don't care). You're the one that apart from initial cost and
resale value, added two more parameters that one may consider.

It is an allocation of cost over several accounting periods. You can
accept this definition, or not.
http://farmaster.com/farmaster/data/idx/FAR84/3102050011.htm

Yes, the first sentence says it all:

"Depreciation is a charge to current operations which distributes
the cost of a tangible capital asset"

Depreciation is not a cost in itself, it is a way to determine how the initial
cost is distributed over the useful lifetime of an asset.

For instance, if you buy underwear, the depreciation of those are 100% when you
put them on. No one is going to pay you money on Ebay (unless you're a sexy
girl, but lets assume you're not

So your initial cost is not distributed at all, it is "spent" all at once if
depreciation is accounted for in TCO calculations.

If you buy a gold ring, however, depreciation works quite differently, and five
or ten years later, you'll find that unless the price of gold has substantially
dropped, the depreciation has been really really low. So when purchasing the
gold ring, you can distribute the cost of the asset over the lifetime of the
asset.

--
Sandman
Old February 1st 16, 10:50 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

We still have a CRT TV in a spare bedroom that works just fine with
the box. Why nospam says "can't be used as a tv anymore" is just
a an
example of ignorance.

Not really. A TV is a device that can receive broadcast television. A
CRT TV could do that in the past, but can no longer do that. It
becomes
just a low-quality monitor for a device that gives it low-quality
video.
Technically it is no longer a TV at that point.

However, in general terms, most people would continue to call it a
TV.

"can't be used as" is the ignorant term. With the adapting thing, it
is simply a usable TV with some of the electronics in a separate box.

there's nothing ignorant about it. the fact that it needs an external
adapter means it "can't be used as". that's *why* it needs an external
box.

If you can't articulate your point correctly, by adding "...without an
external device", then don't blame others for thinking you ignorant.

Most modern TVs can only be used with something external to the set.
Very few have built-in antennas.

Now you're being a twerp. I can't remember the last telly I saw that
had a built-in aerial.

Well, that's the point, Tim. I can't say that none exist because
their may be one. But, the point is that all - if not most - TVs
today require some outside-of-the-set device. There's nothing special
about a TV connected to the adapter that Peter uses other than it's a
different adapter. Something external is needed.

an antenna is not a device nor is it an adapter.

Of course it is a device.

an antenna is not considered a device by anyone except you.

Look at the definition:

Device: a thing made for a particular purpose, an invention or
contrivance, especially a mechanical or electrical one.

you're really in over your head.

you're trying to apply a dictionary definition to an electronic product.

an antenna is *passive*. it's a wire or piece of metal.

an *active* antenna can be considered a device but an active antenna is
not required (although in fringe areas it may be helpful).

even if you want to call an antenna a device, it still doesn't change a
damned thing. you're once again arguing over irrelevant details because
you haven't a ****ing clue and arguing *just* to argue, as always.

what matters is that a tv has a tuner and a monitor does not. period.

What is laughable about your style of argument is that it always lacks
intelligent rebuttal. Instead of writing "It is not a device because
a device is ..." and then defining your own peculiar meaning of
"device" you merely petulantly naysay.

nothing but insults. it's all you do.

i gave the definition of tv and monitor multiple times.

what's laughable is that even after multiple posts, you *still* failed
to understand it.

you're in *way* over your head again.

Anytime you get into an argument with me about the meaning of words,
your head is up your ass.

more insults.
Old February 1st 16, 10:50 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

then it's a monitor, not a tv.

Why is it in *your* interest to be a dickhead? Or is it that you just
can't help yourself.

you're unaware of the bull**** tony and peter spew in rpd.

they *love* to argue irrelevant details and get all bent out of shape
when it's done to them.

Whereas you trip over the details like a blind bull in a china shop.

you know you have no substance so all you do is insult and argue.
Old February 1st 16, 10:50 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

You could get a job with Best Buy marketing. They don't seem to know
they are not selling TVs.

http://deals.bestbuy.com/?category=t...b_cat=TVs& ca
t=TV%20%26%20Home%20Theater&ref=30&loc=KW-4327&ksid=587577dd-a507-4e71-878b-b9150e3af21c&ksprof_id=3&ksaffcode=301114&ksdevice =c

you're actually confirming what i wrote.

those have tuners, which is why they're called tvs.

good work!
Old February 1st 16, 10:50 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Jackass. Go look at any store, and see what they are called.

Stores do not sell CRT televisions anymore.

They sell devices they call TVs, nearly all of which require a cable
tuner of some sort. Therefore, according to the phony logic given, they
are not selling TVs.

you still don't get it.

what they call tvs have built-in tuners and do *not* require a cable
tuner of some sort. that's the whole *point* of having a tuner built
in.

you don't have to use the built-in tuner, but the fact that it has a
tuner makes it a tv.
Old February 1st 16, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

No, it doesn't prove that the TV "can't" be used. It merely states
that the TV must be used with extra device. The TV is still usable to
receive television broadcast.

a tv is a combination tuner/monitor, by definition. a monitor lacks a
tuner and can only display video signals. a tv tuner is just the tuner,
no display, which is also sold separately.

My modern TV must be used with a external device. There is no
built-in ability to receive signals without some sort of antenna or
cable box.

You're still being a twerp. A connection from the telly to the aerial
on my roof or the satellite dish does not, within the meaning of the
act, constitute an external device. Some sort of tuner does.

You can define "external device" any way you choose to, but if
something outside-the-set is needed, it's as good a term as any.

you still don't get it.

You certainly don't.

i get it more than you ever will.
Old February 1st 16, 10:55 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
dorayme[_3_]

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:

Too much information? I'm sorry Tim. I just can't help typing
uncontrollably before breakfast.

Not to worry.

We call them set-top boxes, but I wasn't sure whether a tuner was meant
or just some kind of tap-off from cable-TV.

That's the damn phrase I was looking for, "set-top box". We call them
that too.

We had a set-top box to get FreeView with the old Panny CRT, especially
when as the analogue signal here in the mountains around Canterbury
were preventing us getting much in the way of an analogue signal from
the Dover transmitter. Then they turned that off altogether so we got a
flatscreen with a built-in FreeView HD tuner. More recently we got a
dish for FreeSat but no FreeSat tuner in the telly so it's back to a
set-top box again.

And no I'm not getting Sky. I object to paying *and* having
commercials. They can either charge and give me commercial-free
channels or I'll have it free and endure the commercials. If they can't
organise that then **** 'em.

Me neither on cable. This friend of mine was perfectly happy with his
cable service and cable box (that converts the digital sig to analogue
for his good old CRT) until I opened my big mouth and told him to get
with it and get a modern LCD TV. The cheapskate bought the cheapest
with lousy speakers and a problem emerged with the picture, there was
no way to make people in it look normal, they were stretched in width.
There seemed no way to adjust to fix well. The signal coming from the
cable box was just not suitable for the digital TV. He needs to ****
it off and get a good antenna on the roof or tell his cable supplier
to deliver a more modern box.

In hotels all over the world, often in higher class ones, they seem
unable to solve the problem of improper aspect ratio for their room
clients. Often the guests have no access to adjustments. And even the
techs who turn up to fix are able to fix for this or that channel but
not for all. Similar problem for hospitals, doctors' waiting rooms,
cafes. Luckily, on good home TVs, there are ample controls and one can
get things to look normal easily.

I am beginning to think that many people simply just don't notice
wrong aspect ratio (meaning people look wider and fatter mostly) until
it's pointed out. My friend was surprised by my observation, he could
see it then - especially when some text on the news would disappear
off the edge.

--
dorayme
Old February 1st 16, 11:20 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2/1/2016 5:37 PM, Lewis wrote:
In message
PeterN wrote:
On 2/1/2016 3:17 PM, Lewis wrote:
In message
PeterN wrote:
On 2/1/2016 10:57 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Lewis
wrote:

We still have a CRT TV in a spare bedroom that works just fine with
the box. Why nospam says "can't be used as a tv anymore" is just a an
example of ignorance.

Not really. A TV is a device that can receive broadcast television. A
CRT TV could do that in the past, but can no longer do that. It becomes
just a low-quality monitor for a device that gives it low-quality video.
Technically it is no longer a TV at that point.

exactly the point.

However, in general terms, most people would continue to call it a TV.

people use the wrong terms for a lot of things. that doesn't make it
correct.

Jackass. Go look at any store, and see what they are called.

Stores do not sell CRT televisions anymore.

They sell devices they call TVs, nearly all of which require a cable
tuner of some sort.

Nope. I've never seen any TV that required a cable tuner. In fact, to be
a television it *must* have a tuner. We have three televisions, none
have a cable tuner, or any other sort of tuner other than the one inside
the TV.

bye idiot

--
PeterN
Old February 1st 16, 11:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2/1/2016 5:50 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

Another sophisticated answer. you will go far in life when, err. if,
you grow up

--
PeterN
Old February 2nd 16, 12:24 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
Your Name[_2_]

In article , PeterN
wrote:
On 2/1/2016 3:17 PM, Lewis wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I don't know about the wacky world of America, but out here in the real
world every TV sold these days has a built-in tuner for digital
Freeview (or whatever the local broadcast system is).