'rugged on the outside, professional on the inside'

Old January 7th 05, 04:09 PM
Fred McKenzie

The new Queen of the non-DSLRs

Mike-

In case you didn't notice, the article is an Olympus product announcement, not
a review by DPReview.

I've been an Olympus fan for many years starting with the original OM-2. My
old C-3040Z takes better pictures than my newer Canon 300D with its kit lens.
But I'm still fed up with their empty promises.

Last year's 8080 was 8 Megapixels. So why isn't this year's model at least 8?

What about that f/8 lens? I know it is sharp, but think how much faster the
shutter speed could be if it were f/2.8 at maximum zoom?

What about the tiny sensor? Isn't that the same size they've been using for
two or three years? Its time to move on.

They claim the 7070 is capable of capturing fleeting moments with "new focusing
modes". Yet the only mention of time or delay was with regard to continuous
shooting. I just want to take one picture. How long must I wait?

Fred

Old January 7th 05, 05:07 PM
Dave

No, this group is for "the discussion of all aspects of digital
photography, including digital cameras, scanners, image manipulation
software, printers, and CD-ROM technology."

R.p.d.zlr is a badly named and badly justified group that needs to curl
up and die.

Old January 7th 05, 06:21 PM
Skip M

"Henry Weinstein" wrote in message
Mike Henley wrote:

The new Queen of the non-DSLRs
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0501/05...ly_c7070wz.asp

It says the 7070 is an SLR style camera. It has a fixed lens.

This actually should have been posted in rec.photo.digital.zlr where
it would have been more appropriate and on topic. It shouldn't have
been posted here. This group is really for general camera discussion.

It isn't an SLR or ZLR, it uses a viewfinder. The only reference I see to
SLR is that it says it "features a number of SLR-"type features.
Just what do you mean by "general digital camera discussion?" If this list
is limited to p&s type cameras only, you may sound the death knell of the
group.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old January 7th 05, 07:27 PM
ECM

As an Oly C-5060 owner, I'll be happy to take that lousy Canon 300D and
it's crappy kit lens off your hands for only the cost of shipping it to
me; I'll take proper precautions when handling it and disposing of it
for you. :-)))

As for the C-7070, a moment's sober reflection has allowed me to come
around on it a bit. At first I wondered, what do they need that for?
Where's the IS long zoom? But, Olympus needs to compete with the Canon
G6, the Sony DSC-V3, the Casio EX-P700, and all the other low-end
prosumer cameras that're coming out with that nice new 7.4Mpixel
sensor. The C-7070 is based on a winning series, the C-50X0's; it's a
format that has a clear market (small prosumer), and it is a logical,
cheap (for Oly) upgrade to the C-5060 (which is now 18 months old). I
really like Oly's products; they have made a valuable contribution to
the competitiveness of the digital camera market and I don't want to
see them disappear. The C-5060 was a successful camera, why change the
features (size, format, price, lens) that made it successful? Just
update the sensor to something less than 3 years old....

ECM

Old January 7th 05, 07:37 PM
Dave

I was going to wait a year and get an 8080 (or 9090?), but I'm
seriously considering the 7070 (depending upon the actual reviews) as a
replacement for my 5050.

Can't tell if it's bigger than the 5050 and would be really interested
if it took the FL-20 in a UW housing like the 5060 can.

Dave