wide angle for Pentax K1000

Old December 19th 04, 03:26 PM
Luci Lucida via PhotoKB.com

Default wide angle for Pentax K1000

Can anyone recommend a wide angle lens for my Pentax K1000? Speaking with a local camera shop, they suggested Promaster brand 19-35 for about $200. This is at the limit of my budget (yes I am cheap?but most critically I am a novice). Any help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Best regards,
Luci

Old December 19th 04, 04:32 PM
Fred McKenzie

Can anyone recommend a wide angle lens for my Pentax K1000? Speaking with a
local camera shop, they suggested Promaster brand 19-35 for about $200.

Luci-

The least you can do is take your camera to the store and try out the lens.

I'm not familiar with Promaster, so I assume it is a line of lenses made by one
of the other manufacturers. $200 may seem like lot, but maybe not for the
capability you are after. In other words, for that amount it may not be a very
rugged lens.

If you like to try things, I recall an article in one of the magazines many
years ago. You take a screw-in lens cap, drill a hole in it and mount one of
the one-way viewers used to see who is outside your door. You need to be sure
the rear of the viewer can't scratch the front of your lens. I tried it. It
sort-of works and it has a wide angle effect.

Fred

Old December 19th 04, 05:22 PM
BobS

Check Adorama and B&H photo web sites or call them and see what they have
used. A K1000 (in good shape) brings in more today than what I paid for
mine back in the 60's. As for the Promaster lens - my experience is you
would be far better off buying a Pentax or other name brand (Takumar,
Tamaron) used lens. Adorama shows a few used wide-angle lenses
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...nt&cat3=Lenses
that should fill the need. Adorama and B&H Photo are two great outfits to
deal with so don't be afraid of getting ripped off.

http://www.adorama.com
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home/

Bob S.

. ..

Old December 20th 04, 01:11 AM
Jeremy

"Luci Lucida via PhotoKB.com" wrote in message
. ..
Can anyone recommend a wide angle lens for my Pentax K1000?

Buy a real Pentax SMC lens, and stay away from those third-party Promaster
things. The tool of the photographer is his/her LENS. Pentax made superb
lenses in the K-mount when the K-1000 bodies were introduced.
No-holds-barred designs, top-shelf build quality, smoothest focusing of any
lens--Leica included, multicoated, flare-taming optics that were second to
none (well, maybe Carl Zeiss equaled Pentax's multicoating, but no one did
it BETTER), classic METAL BARRELED prime lenses, and they are available
really cheap. You can find them on eBay or at www.keh.com.

I suspect that your local camera dealer is trying to sell you whatever he
happens to have in stock--not what is really best for you.

If you want to read up on what made Pentax-branded lenses so outstanding,
have a look at this article from Mike Johnston. It does not specifically
cover your particular application, but he explains what makes Pentax lenses
so special:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...02-05-02.shtml

Old December 20th 04, 01:17 AM
Darrell

"Jeremy" wrote in message
ink.net...

Buy a real Pentax SMC lens, and stay away from those third-party

Promaster
things. The tool of the photographer is his/her LENS. Pentax made superb
lenses in the K-mount when the K-1000 bodies were introduced.
No-holds-barred designs, top-shelf build quality, smoothest focusing of

any
lens--Leica included, multicoated, flare-taming optics that were second to
none (well, maybe Carl Zeiss equaled Pentax's multicoating,

Pentax SMC and Zeiss T* is the same coating. Asahi and Zeiss developed it
jointly in 1971. During the late 1960's until the late 1970's Zeiss and
Pentax collaborated on a lot of optics, coatings and ophthalmological
instruments. Yje broke up over the Contax RTS, both wanted their name on
that camera.

Old December 27th 04, 03:59 PM
Tony H

"Luci Lucida via PhotoKB.com" wrote:

Can anyone recommend a wide angle lens for my Pentax K1000? Speaking with a local camera shop, they suggested Promaster brand 19-35 for about $200. This is at the limit of my budget (yes I am cheap?but most critically I am a novice). Any help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Best regards,
Luci

There are a number of 19-35 F/3.5-4.5 lenses on the market by Tamron,
Tokina and Cosina. They all seem to be of similar design and they're
probably all made in the same factory, but they may differ in the
quality of the coatings, quality control etc. Of these three the
Tamron is usually the most expensive and the Cosina the cheapest, so
possibly you would expect the Tamron to be the best of these three.
The Promaster is probaly one of these sold (most likely the Cosina
variant) under an "own-brand" name.

I have the Tokina version and have found it to be a good performer,
with a Pentax MZ-5N and also with a Pentax *istD. It's of metal
construction and has a good feel to it. Definition is good, certainly
at f/8 or smaller. There's some barreling at the 19mm end, but this is
not excessive. You' might find that non-AF versions of these lenses
might be difficult to find, but the Tokina version (and probably the
others) works just fine on K1000 also.

Hope this helps
Tony

Old December 27th 04, 04:39 PM
Jeremy

"Luci Lucida via PhotoKB.com" wrote:

Can anyone recommend a wide angle lens for my Pentax K1000? Speaking with

a local camera shop, they suggested Promaster brand 19-35 for about $200.

Before opting for any particular lens, the OP should ponder why she is using
a Pentax camera in the first place. Pentax made some of the best lenses in
the world. Before she selects a third-party lens (especially if that lens
is going to be the only lens she uses) she ought to consider used Pentax
lenses, if her budget does not allow for the purchase of a new one. Even
without seeing the actual lens tests, I do not think that a "Promaster"
brand lens will stand up to the performance of an excellent Pentax lens.

I mention this because it appears from reading her post that she really does
not understand some of the subtle differences among lenses. And she
apparently is being steered into buying whatever the camera dealer has in
stock--which may not be in her best interests.

Admittedly, Pentax makes some pretty pedestrian lenses, but they also make
some excellent ones, too. Before she settles on a generic-branded lens, she
ought to at least survey the field of available Pentax lenses and she may be
able to get a superior-performing lens at a price that is even less than the
"Promaster" brand.