850mm f/4.0 lens

Old October 30th 12, 04:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank S

Default 850mm f/4.0 lens

"RichA" wrote in message
On Oct 29, 11:11 pm, Darrell Larose wrote:
RichA wrote:
http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/t1653.html

For 8 or 16mm film?

It's an Aerial lens, Google reveals it for 9"x18" frames. Aerial film
was 9" wide.

--
Darrell Larose
web: http://DarrellLarose.ca

A well-heeled amateur astronomer may buy it.

I processed (as in "evaluated") quite a few miles of that film as a
Photo Interpreter in the Air Force, mid-late 1950s. Exceedingly sharp
and detailed at lower altitudes when perfectly synched between air speed
and film advance. "Bombing" practice runs were photographed on 9x9
masks, as well. The 9x18s were used in split verticals, so the center
image formed in overlap was in stereo. Many happy hours spent with a
forehead on the stereoscope over a light table, cranking and marking
those big rolls of negative film, and a few of positives.

I saw some really long-distance obliques made from a very high-flying
airplane with an immense folded lens in its narrow body. Not very
impressive in the sharp/detail sense.

--
Frank ess

Old October 30th 12, 06:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rob

RichA wrote:
[...]

Possibility the longest panoramic image was made this way, the film
moved over a slit as the aircraft travelled over the country side. I
think they ran out of film eventually.
Old November 2nd 12, 02:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich[_6_]

"Frank S" wrote in news:4q2dnXjo-
:

@s18g2000yqh.googlegroups.com...
RichA wrote:
[...]

Pity you don't have access to those negs. There's a guy on Ebay who has
sold 2000 or so images at $10 to $20 a piece. What are they? Shots he's
taken with a digital camera of old newspaper and magazine ads and
printed. I'm sure old aerial reconnaissance shots would be very
interesting to print large.
Old November 2nd 12, 07:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rob

On 2/11/2012 1:54 PM, Darrell Larose wrote:
Rich wrote:

Pity you don't have access to those negs. There's a guy on Ebay who has
sold 2000 or so images at $10 to $20 a piece. What are they? Shots he's
taken with a digital camera of old newspaper and magazine ads and
printed. I'm sure old aerial reconnaissance shots would be very
interesting to print large.

I worked for awhile for Kenting Earth Sciences, and we printed mural
sized aerial abstracts as office decor. Landscape aerials always looked
interesting. Now they could have an interesting decor market, but they
have closed down. They were interesting to do, some landscapes on the 9"
film looked like macro shots.

I have some here on 9" film - at one stage was printing them up but then
came along Google earth.