Figure it's ok to mention this stuff since Dpreview did

Old October 18th 12, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

Default Figure it's ok to mention this stuff since Dpreview did

| having the same interface across mobile and desktop is actually an
| interesting strategy. if it works, microsoft has a huge winner.

What I was trying to explain is that it's not even
the same system, much less the same interface.
People aren't going to use Metro apps on PCs and
they *can't* use Windows software on Surface.

I just came across a story tonight that demonstrates
what I'm talking about. It turns out that Microsoft
has made such an effort to mislead that most of their
store employees don't even know the difference
between Win 8 and Win RT. It's a humorous and
somewhat shocking read:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/17/3...tore-employees

Nor does Walt Mossberg understand what's going on,
despite his billing himself as a tech. guru:

http://allthingsd.com/20121016/windo...he-tablet-age/

(I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt in assuming
that he's actually confused and not deliberately
fudging the facts to placate Microsoft.)

I can't imagine why you're championing a
Microsoft product, but I look forward to your
report on the pros and cons of your new, $500
Hotmail gadget.

Old October 18th 12, 01:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

jdanield wrote:
Le 17/10/2012 15:38, Mort a écrit :

At several classical music concerts that I saw recently, the musicians
used "sheet music" on an i-phone, rather than in paper form.

i-phone?

i-pad I could understand...

jdd

'
Hi,

I stand corrected. As a non-Apple person, I occasionally use the wrong
word. Sorry.

Mort
Old October 18th 12, 07:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
jdanield

Le 18/10/2012 02:18, Mort a écrit :

I stand corrected. As a non-Apple person, I occasionally use the wrong
word. Sorry.

no problem, I do not own i-pad neither :-)

actually, most partitions are very large (much larger than usual paper
sheet, so it's difficult to make photocopies, so even an i-pad is small

jdd
Old October 18th 12, 08:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich[_6_]

"Mayayana" wrote in news:k5l7gq$gu8$1@dont-
email.me:

It all ties in nicely with Microsoft and other companies who want to
create a computer universe (indeed, an entire multimedia universe)
where all media and media use is "rented" as a service and not owned.

Yes. That's partly why the prices seem so outlandish
to me. Not only is it a limited tool compared to a
[cheaper] PC. The whole point is to bring in income
from everything that people do with it. With that
strategy I would expect them to take a loss on the
hardware, counting on profits down the road. (30%
cut for all "apps" bought through their store, ad
income from Hotmail, etc. Not to mention a captive
audience that can be tracked more efficiently than
computer users can be.)

I think Amazon is claiming they make no money on Kindles. Maybe the
colour ones.
Old October 18th 12, 09:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| having the same interface across mobile and desktop is actually an
| interesting strategy. if it works, microsoft has a huge winner.

What I was trying to explain is that it's not even
the same system, much less the same interface.
People aren't going to use Metro apps on PCs and
they *can't* use Windows software on Surface.

they might do the former. you have no way to know what people
ultimately will do.

having a hybrid device that can be a tablet *and* a laptop has appeal
to a lot of people, and that's what microsoft is pushing.

there is obviously going to be some initial confusion but many people
are overstating it. it's in microsoft's best interest *not* to confuse
people.

I can't imagine why you're championing a
Microsoft product, but I look forward to your
report on the pros and cons of your new, $500
Hotmail gadget.

i'm not championing anything, nor do i plan on buying one, at least not
any time soon i do, however, plan on taking a look at it and seeing
what it can and can't do.

one thing is certain, it's a *lot* more than a $500 hotmail gadget.
Old October 20th 12, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 10/16/2012 7:28 PM, Mayayana wrote:
| So Microscoft releases (essentially) a $199 Blackberry Playbook at
| $499?? And the Blackberry tablet was a sales flop.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/16/tech/g...html?hpt=hp_t3

The MS tablets will probably be a flop, too, but
they're not Blackberry's. The whole thing hinges on
Metro and MS online services. They want you to buy
Metro apps that they get a cut on, "consume" media,
get an MS email address, etc. At this point they have
very little to offer, and a lot of people are going to
be surprised when they find out that 1) they can't run
Windows software and 2) the only software they can
run is trinket apps from the Windows online store.

Personally I think the prices are absurd, but there
are millions of people paying similar to buy iPads.
So there seems to be a ...tablet customer ... born
every minute.

Both are really light weight, easily portable versions of the former
E-machines.

--
Peter
Old October 20th 12, 08:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| Both are really light weight, easily portable versions of the former
| E-machines.

?? The only EMachine I know of is a cheap PC,
running Windows, with keyboard and mouse, and
consisting of a tin box that provides for general
hardware upgradability. (Though in a limited way.
Emachines used some proprietary parts, like a
very small power supply.)

A Microsoft Surface is a tablet that has a hard-wired
ARM-based OS and can't run Windows software.

Likewise, the Blackberry Playbook is a tablet with a
specialized OS that can't run Windows software.

I can't think of anything notable that either
has in common with Emachines. The only reason I
joined in here was to clear up the misunderstandings
about what MS Surface is. Have you actually
read any of this thread?

Old October 20th 12, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 10/18/2012 2:25 AM, jdanield wrote:
Le 18/10/2012 02:18, Mort a écrit :

I stand corrected. As a non-Apple person, I occasionally use the wrong
word. Sorry.

no problem, I do not own i-pad neither :-)

actually, most partitions are very large (much larger than usual paper
sheet, so it's difficult to make photocopies, so even an i-pad is small

jdd

IIRC Sheet music has been the same size since I played the horn. And
that was well before photocopiers were in general business use.

--
Peter
Old October 20th 12, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 10/18/2012 3:02 AM, Rich wrote:
[...]

It's the razor blade business. Similarly, Epsom makes little on its
printers, but does make a lot on the ink.

--
Peter
Old October 20th 12, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 10/20/2012 3:15 PM, Mayayana wrote:
| Both are really light weight, easily portable versions of the former
| E-machines.

?? The only EMachine I know of is a cheap PC,
running Windows, with keyboard and mouse, and
consisting of a tin box that provides for general
hardware upgradability. (Though in a limited way.
Emachines used some proprietary parts, like a
very small power supply.)

A Microsoft Surface is a tablet that has a hard-wired
ARM-based OS and can't run Windows software.

Likewise, the Blackberry Playbook is a tablet with a
specialized OS that can't run Windows software.

I can't think of anything notable that either
has in common with Emachines. The only reason I
joined in here was to clear up the misunderstandings
about what MS Surface is. Have you actually
read any of this thread?

I was talking in terms of functionality for business use.
I was not talking about hardware.
And, before you get snarky, I know the hardware is different and has
decent graphics capability.

--
Peter