Dust Problems with the Canon Digital Rebel XT

Old February 20th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Dust Problems with the Canon Digital Rebel XT

I found that I had developed a dust problem on my Rebel XT. I used the
Eclipse & Sensor Swabs, and after 2 cleanings with 2 swabs it looks great!
Can you use Pec Pads rather than the very expensive Sensor Swabs? They say
on their website that you can not do this - but are they just doing that so
that you buy the more expensive product?

Also - any tips on keeping the sensor clean??? I was doing a
lot of scenic photography in Hawaii & switching lenses a lot. How do people
prevent problems? Or, is it just a fact of life with digital cameras? I saw
that using zoom lenses made the problem worse. Is that true? I always try to
change my lenses in a way that doesn't leave the inside of the camera
exposed to the air for very long. Do you need to blow out the inside with
air before putting on the new lens?

FOR SCENIC, NATURE PHOTOGRAPHS OF HAWAII, WATERFALLS, RAINBOWS & MORE
VISIT MY WEBSITE, SUSAN A. LEVINE PHOTOGRAPHIC ART
http://www.lbdassociates.com/salphotos/

Old February 21st 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Rainbow Girl Sue" wrote in message
I found that I had developed a dust problem on my Rebel XT. I used the
Eclipse & Sensor Swabs, and after 2 cleanings with 2 swabs it looks great!
Can you use Pec Pads rather than the very expensive Sensor Swabs? They say
on their website that you can not do this - but are they just doing that
so that you buy the more expensive product?

Also - any tips on keeping the sensor clean??? I was doing a
lot of scenic photography in Hawaii & switching lenses a lot. How do
people
prevent problems? Or, is it just a fact of life with digital cameras? I
saw
that using zoom lenses made the problem worse. Is that true? I always try
change my lenses in a way that doesn't leave the inside of the camera
exposed to the air for very long. Do you need to blow out the inside with
air before putting on the new lens?

Kind of a pain but you could use your blower each time you change a lens --
a couple of puffs should do it -- you know, face the camera downward,
etc....

Mike

Old February 21st 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

In message IitKf.14400$2c4.12566@dukeread11,
"Mike Rooney" wrote:

Kind of a pain but you could use your blower each time you change a lens --
a couple of puffs should do it -- you know, face the camera downward,
etc....

I bought the big Hakuba blower, because it looked like it had valves in
it so that it would only blow from one end, and suck from the other. I
thought I could put a filter over the "suck" hole, and it would only
blow out filtered air, but alas, it sucks from both holes
--

John P Sheehy

Old February 21st 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Mike Rooney" wrote:

Kind of a pain but you could use your blower each time you change a
ens --
a couple of puffs should do it -- you know, face the camera downward,
etc....

I bought the big Hakuba blower, because it looked like it had valves in
it so that it would only blow from one end, and suck from the other. I
thought I could put a filter over the "suck" hole, and it would only
blow out filtered air, but alas, it sucks from both holes

I use a medium size Hurricane bulb and keep it in a ziplock bag when not in
use, seems to work fine for me and I change lenses a lot and find I only
need to do it occasionally..

Old February 21st 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Rainbow Girl Sue wrote:
I found that I had developed a dust problem on my Rebel XT. I used the
Eclipse & Sensor Swabs, and after 2 cleanings with 2 swabs it looks great!
Can you use Pec Pads rather than the very expensive Sensor Swabs? They say
on their website that you can not do this - but are they just doing that so
that you buy the more expensive product?

Yes. I recently used Pec Pads with the Eclipse fluid and got great
results. Using the copper hill method you wrap a Pec Pad around a
Sensor Swipe.

Brian

Old February 22nd 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

In message ,
"Pete D" wrote:

I use a medium size Hurricane bulb and keep it in a ziplock bag when not in
use, seems to work fine for me and I change lenses a lot and find I only
need to do it occasionally..

.... but think of how much better it would be if it were incapable of
sucking in dust.
--

John P Sheehy

Old February 23rd 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"RichA" wrote in message
ups.com...
Its too bad they don't offer some kind of anti-static formula that
could be applied to the sensor without degrading the optical
performance.

They do, it is called a point & shoot camera! g

Ron

Old February 25th 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

RichA wrote:

Its too bad they don't offer some kind of anti-static formula that
could be applied to the sensor without degrading the optical
performance.

there is one camera with an anti dust formula...
--

Stacey