23CII left to right alignment

Old April 25th 04, 12:33 AM
Mike

Default 23CII left to right alignment

Got myself 2 12x12" mirrors for $3 and scratched off a 1" circle on one to
align.

I easily adjusted the front-to-back negative stage alignment with the screw
at the bottom of the focussing rails.

However I couldn't find any screws for left-to-right negative stage
adjustment. So I cut up a plastic 35mm container and used it as shims in
between the baseboard and the column. I'm very close to perfectly aligned
(but not perfect). Is another way to align in this direction?

Old April 25th 04, 01:31 AM
Mike

"Bruce" wrote in message
However I couldn't find any screws for left-to-right negative stage

adjustment. So I cut up a plastic 35mm container and used it as shims in
between the baseboard and the column. I'm very close to perfectly aligned

(but
not perfect). Is another way to align in this direction?

My 23CII has a knurled knob directly on the front next to the red filter
bracket. Loosening the knob allows you to swing the neg stage L or R and

there
is a white line to indicate center.

It swings the negative stage and not the lens? I've got the thumbscrew that
allows me to tilt the lens left and right...but I'll have to go search for
this knob if it exists.

--Mike

_________________
Ready, Fire, AIM.
Bruce
Brooklyn, N.Y.

Old April 25th 04, 02:51 AM
Bruce

It swings the negative stage and not the lens? I've got the thumbscrew that
allows me to tilt the lens left and right...but I'll have to go search for
this knob if it exists.

--Mike

Maybe I misread the question. Yes it swings the lens L & R to align the lens
with/to the negative stage. It pivots on an axis but does not shift L or R.
_________________
Ready, Fire, AIM.
Bruce
Brooklyn, N.Y.

Old April 25th 04, 11:32 AM
Jim Phelps

"Mike" wrote in message
.. .
Got myself 2 12x12" mirrors for $3 and scratched off a 1" circle on one to
align.

I easily adjusted the front-to-back negative stage alignment with the

screw
at the bottom of the focussing rails.

However I couldn't find any screws for left-to-right negative stage
adjustment. So I cut up a plastic 35mm container and used it as shims in
between the baseboard and the column. I'm very close to perfectly aligned
(but not perfect). Is another way to align in this direction?

Mike,

The bracket that holds the whole head to the carriage with the large steel
pin (the pivot point to tilt the head to horizontal projection) is the key
to getting left and right alignment of the negative stage. I hat to pull
the pin and remove the head so I could modify this bracket. What I needed
to do was to remove the bracket and enlarge the holes in the bracket to give
me a bit of room. I just drilled them bigger, but no too big. Don't need
that much play and you don't want to weaken the bracket by removing too much
material.

Use good steel washers and new hardware to replace the existing screws
that hold this bracket to the carriage. I used cap screws (the kind you use
with an allen wrench). Made it easier to get at when everything is
reassembled.

Now, to adjust right to left of the negative stage, loosen one (or both)
so the screws and you can twist the head a couple of degrees to get your
alignment. I don't have to tell you to tighten the screws, but who knows
who else is reading this:~).

One other thing, replace the plastic screw below the lens stage. Use a
good metal screw.

Jim

Old April 27th 04, 01:39 PM
John Walton

...and that's why I gave away my 23C -- note that the rails on which the
trolley rides must be perfectly parallel for the 23C to remain in alignment.

"Jim Phelps" wrote in message

.. .