Why digital cameras are no good

Old April 10th 05, 02:21 AM
Ron Hunter

stormwatcher wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:

I am thankful that even though I have reached retirement age, I still

LOVE to learn, and embrace change, as long as it can be shown to be
better, for my purposes. If that ever changes, I hope someone will
throw dirt on me so I don't decompose in sight....

I am nowhere near retirement age but the last few years I have found
myself becoming unconsciously resistant to change. I DON'T want a
cellphone with a camera. I DON'T drool over the newest computer and I
DON'T want a plasma TV.

Should I be concerned?

As I slip into digital, I imagine I will keep most of my old Pentax
system since I have many fond memories with it. I also have a 1952
vintage Rolleicord TLR, which although I only use several times a year,
am still amazed at what a beautiful image it can produce. Beautiful
camera in it's simplicity.

I imagine that when I do purchase a dSLR, I will come to treasure it
also. Though only a hobbyist, I love the equipment as much as the
pictures.

Geez, now I'm getting sentimental.

I do own a cellphone with a camera (sucks) and so many features that it
has taken me weeks to learn which ones of them might be actually useful
to me. I DO drool over new computers, since my old one is kinda slow by
today's standards, and I don't have a large enough living area for a
large plasma TV, the 30" CRT TV does just fine. BTW a DVR is a thing of
beauty.
I wouldn't want to part with my Minox B, either, even though I haven't
taken a picture with it in 35 years.

--
Ron Hunter

Old April 10th 05, 02:22 AM
Ron Hunter

Brian May wrote:
"Ron" == Ron Hunter writes:

Ron I have to agree with you, Randy. On the other hand, anyone
Ron who doesn't see the advantages of a computer for text input
Ron over a typewriter is MANY bricks short of a full load! Just
Ron ONE key, 'backspace' tells me everything I need to know to
Ron abandon typewriters forever!

Not true. Before it was a verbal interface to your secretary
(depending on your job of course). "I don't like this word. Please
retype the entire page". The lack of the back space button didn't
matter to you.

Now, in the modern times, you have to do the typing and checking
yourself...

Sorry, but I never had a secretary. Most companies find other uses for
their secretaries than computer nerds.

--
Ron Hunter

Old April 10th 05, 07:11 PM
Big Bill

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 18:27:25 +1000, Brian May
wrote:

"Ron" == Ron Hunter writes:

Ron I have to agree with you, Randy. On the other hand, anyone
Ron who doesn't see the advantages of a computer for text input
Ron over a typewriter is MANY bricks short of a full load! Just
Ron ONE key, 'backspace' tells me everything I need to know to
Ron abandon typewriters forever!

Not true. Before it was a verbal interface to your secretary
(depending on your job of course). "I don't like this word. Please
retype the entire page". The lack of the back space button didn't
matter to you.

That's like saying, "The lack of a motorcycle didn't bother Paul
Revere."
Of course it didn't; he didn't have a concept of a motorcycle.

Now, in the modern times, you have to do the typing and checking
yourself...

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old April 12th 05, 10:14 AM
Charlie Self

Brian May wrote:
"Ron" == Ron Hunter writes:

Ron I have to agree with you, Randy. On the other hand, anyone
Ron who doesn't see the advantages of a computer for text input
Ron over a typewriter is MANY bricks short of a full load! Just
Ron ONE key, 'backspace' tells me everything I need to know to
Ron abandon typewriters forever!

Not true. Before it was a verbal interface to your secretary
(depending on your job of course). "I don't like this word. Please
retype the entire page". The lack of the back space button didn't
matter to you.

Now, in the modern times, you have to do the typing and checking
yourself...

Hah! In the good, old days I did my own typing, as I do now. For a
professional writer, a computer is a godsend, period. There was no
secretary. Roll out a 375 page beautifully typed manuscript, and, lo
and behold, there's a paragraph on page 37 that has to be recast,
changing length. Big whoops. Pagination may change as well. There's
more than 300 pages of retyping if done acceptably. With a computer,
one paragraph and the machine does all the rest.

Believe me: the backspace key matters. But cut and paste and
repagination matter more.