Canon G9X and poor lens

Old March 20th 18, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Canon G9X and poor lens

Hi,

I got a new Canon G9X from Canon, when my S-120 focus went off and could not be repaired.

The G9X has a terrible lens, with very low contrast,and poor-fair sharpness, especially at the wide angle end. My smaller S-120 with a smaller sensor, takes better photos than does the G9X. My G7X II, on the other hand, takes excellent photos with the same sensor as the G9X.

I am quite disappointed.

Has anyone else had this experience with the Canon G9X?

Mort Linder
Old March 20th 18, 11:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Mar 20, 2018, wrote
(in ):

Hi,

I got a new Canon G9X from Canon, when my S-120 focus went off and could not
be repaired.

The G9X has a terrible lens, with very low contrast,and poor-fair sharpness,
especially at the wide angle end. My smaller S-120 with a smaller sensor,
takes better photos than does the G9X. My G7X II, on the other hand, takes
excellent photos with the same sensor as the G9X.

I am quite disappointed.

Has anyone else had this experience with the Canon G9X?

Mort Linder

My only Canon is an old G11, but I took the time to read some of the reviews
of the now 2, almost 3 year old G9X, and there were some interesting comments
on the negative side. Some of these issues might be related to your
experience.

1: Poor auto white balance.

2: Mediocre autofocus speeds, especially when compared to recent enthusiast
compact compeditors.

3: Too often indicates a focus lock when it doesn’t have one.

4: Lens isn’t very bright at telephoto (f/4.9).

5: Soft corners at wide angle even stopped down (due to strong distortion
correction, but that is typical of cameras of this class).

I would also ask why you bought, or what persuaded you to buy this almost 3
year old G9X?

Savageduck

Old March 21st 18, 08:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Hi,

I got a new Canon G9X from Canon, when my S-120 focus went off and could not be repaired.

The G9X has a terrible lens, with very low contrast,and poor-fair sharpness, especially at the wide angle end. My smaller S-120 with a smaller sensor, takes better photos than does the G9X. My G7X II, on the other hand, takes excellent photos with the same sensor as the G9X.

I am quite disappointed.

Has anyone else had this experience with the Canon G9X?

Mort Linder

Replying to Duck, I did NOT buy the G9X. I sent Canon USA my S-120 for repair, and they sent me a new G9X as swap,as they had no swappable S-120. It is a dog.

Mort Linder
Old March 21st 18, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Hi,

I got a new Canon G9X from Canon, when my S-120 focus went off and could not be repaired.

The G9X has a terrible lens, with very low contrast,and poor-fair sharpness, especially at the wide angle end. My smaller S-120 with a smaller sensor, takes better photos than does the G9X. My G7X II, on the other hand, takes excellent photos with the same sensor as the G9X.

I am quite disappointed.

Has anyone else had this experience with the Canon G9X?

Mort Linder

Replying re. EOS, I purchased a Canon G7XII, and am very happy with it.

Mort Linder
Old March 24th 18, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On 2018-03-21 20:42:30 +0000, said:

Replying to Duck, I did NOT buy the G9X. I sent Canon USA my S-120 for
repair, and they sent me a new G9X as swap,as they had no swappable
S-120. It
is a dog.

Mort Linder

So they probably sent you a G9X which had been sent back to them. I
would suggest that you contact Canon support, tell them that the G9X
they sent you has performance issues, that performing as it did it was
an unsatisfactory replacement for the S-120, and demand a NEW
replacement.

Personally, I would start considering another brand of camera.

Savageduck

Hi,

Thanks for the sage advice. I will contact Canon about this issue. I am extremely disappointed with the poor lens on the G9X, and have noticed that others on the net feel the same way.

It is not really a brand thing. The S-120 was good for its size, and the G7X-II is excellent. The G9X is a dog, and Canon should not have brought it to market.

I might add that in days gone by, I used Nikon SP,F, and F2 outfits, and Olympus OM4-T outfits, as well as a Rolleiflex. I do know photography and cameras.

Mort Linder

Hi,

Canon told me that it is a software problem, and asked me to send the camera to them, which I did. I am waiting to see if they really fix it, or give me a different camera.I requested a G7X II, but who knows? The G7X II seems to be an excellent camera of its type. We'll see.

Mort Linde
Old March 24th 18, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Mar 24, 2018, wrote
(in ):

On 2018-03-21 20:42:30 +0000,
said:

[...]

Did they mean “software”, or firmware?

If firmware, why not provide a method for you to download and install any
firmware update?

If firmware update, why no publicity regarding any such update?

I suspect you are going to have yet another camera switch. Let’s see what
you get back. Good luck.

Savageduck