Interesting Question about D2X sensors

Old August 30th 05, 10:29 PM
pixby

Default Interesting Question about D2X sensors

Nikon are going to great lengths to explain how they capture 12
megapixels of data with their new "dual" sensor in the D2X. They are
describing their sensor's photo collector points of the newly released
Pro D2X cameras as being 2 different types/sizes of collector points...

Sigma did the same with their Foveon sensor SD9 cameras. I think because
Nikon collect RGB data from each site, they cannot be lumped in with the
Foveon "invention" of sensor size. Just the same, the Nikon sensor is
different from a traditional bayer sensor as we know it in a Canon
camera. How different is not as clear as it should be.

We are aware that smaller photo receptors have their own unique
problems. Is using two different size receptors in the way inkjet
printer makers get nicer looking images by using different size droplets
of ink, have Nikon discovered how to make a high resolving sensor in a
small size?

So here's the question of the day for thinking people: How many sensors
are in a D2X Nikon to achieve 12 megapixel images? Careful now... It's a
loaded question!

--
Douglas,
You never really make it on the 'net
Old August 30th 05, 11:10 PM
Jeremy Nixon

pixby wrote:

Nikon are going to great lengths to explain how they capture 12
megapixels of data with their new "dual" sensor in the D2X. They are
describing their sensor's photo collector points of the newly released
Pro D2X cameras as being 2 different types/sizes of collector points...

Where are they doing that, exactly?

Sigma did the same with their Foveon sensor SD9 cameras. I think because
Nikon collect RGB data from each site, they cannot be lumped in with the
Foveon "invention" of sensor size. Just the same, the Nikon sensor is
different from a traditional bayer sensor as we know it in a Canon
camera. How different is not as clear as it should be.

It's a regular Bayer sensor. I don't know what you're talking about.

We are aware that smaller photo receptors have their own unique
problems. Is using two different size receptors in the way inkjet
printer makers get nicer looking images by using different size droplets
of ink, have Nikon discovered how to make a high resolving sensor in a
small size?

Why would this have anything to do with a D2x? They aren't using two
different sizes of photo receptors.

So here's the question of the day for thinking people: How many sensors
are in a D2X Nikon to achieve 12 megapixel images? Careful now... It's a
loaded question!

There's one sensor, with 12.8 million photo detectors.

--
Jeremy |
Old August 31st 05, 01:03 AM
Canongirly

1: This is NOT a very interesting question
2: Who gives a **** anyway?

Old August 31st 05, 02:10 AM

In message ,
Jeremy Nixon wrote:

Sigma did the same with their Foveon sensor SD9 cameras. I think because
Nikon collect RGB data from each site, they cannot be lumped in with the
Foveon "invention" of sensor size. Just the same, the Nikon sensor is
different from a traditional bayer sensor as we know it in a Canon
camera. How different is not as clear as it should be.

It's a regular Bayer sensor. I don't know what you're talking about.

I just looked quickly through the latest version of dcraw.c, and it
looks pretty normal except for one thing; it seems to have four
different color filters. The scaling factors for the sensitivities are
pre_mul(n), where n is usually 0 for red, 1 for green, and 2 for blue,
with green (1) usually unstated for each camera, assumed to be 1.0. The
D2X has pre_mul() values for 0, 1, and 3. Very few cameras have 4
multiplier values.
--

John P Sheehy

Old August 31st 05, 02:23 AM
Chrlz

it looks pretty normal except for one thing; it seems to have four
different color filters.

Perhaps it is like the Sony F828 sensor, which was an RGBE (E=Emerald)
sensor, rather than the usual RGBG..

But anyway, this is not related to pixby/Douglas' delusion that the D2X
interpolates from 6Mp to 12Mp (grin). As is well known to everyone but
him, the sensor uses a high-speed *crop* mode, where it simply does not
read data from about half of the sensor to speed it up - at the cost of
image size.

Old August 31st 05, 03:10 AM
Jeremy Nixon

I just looked quickly through the latest version of dcraw.c, and it
looks pretty normal except for one thing; it seems to have four
different color filters. The scaling factors for the sensitivities are
pre_mul(n), where n is usually 0 for red, 1 for green, and 2 for blue,
with green (1) usually unstated for each camera, assumed to be 1.0. The
D2X has pre_mul() values for 0, 1, and 3. Very few cameras have 4
multiplier values.

Is what you're looking at the same as the TIFF CFAPattern? If so, 3
would be cyan. However, according to the metadata in my DNG files, the
CFA layout is given as 0,1,1,2 (R/G/G/B), suggesting a standard layout.
But if the values you're talking about are something else, I'm not sure
what to look for; the difference could be in the color matrices.

--
Jeremy |
Old August 31st 05, 03:19 AM
Jeremy Nixon

pixby wrote:

Jeremy is wasting his time... Been in my kill file because of his insults.

Not wasting at all. I don't answer your questions for *your* benefit, after
all. If you want to go on believing that the camera has different sized
photo sensors, that's up to you, but I'd hate to see anyone else think your
delusions have any merit.

You'll be the next to go Brian, right along with canongirlie.

Pity you're missing the answers you wanted when you posted.

--
Jeremy |
Old August 31st 05, 03:25 AM

In message ,
Jeremy Nixon wrote:

wrote:

I just looked quickly through the latest version of dcraw.c, and it
looks pretty normal except for one thing; it seems to have four
different color filters. The scaling factors for the sensitivities are
pre_mul(n), where n is usually 0 for red, 1 for green, and 2 for blue,
with green (1) usually unstated for each camera, assumed to be 1.0. The
D2X has pre_mul() values for 0, 1, and 3. Very few cameras have 4
multiplier values.

Is what you're looking at the same as the TIFF CFAPattern? If so, 3
would be cyan. However, according to the metadata in my DNG files, the
CFA layout is given as 0,1,1,2 (R/G/G/B), suggesting a standard layout.
But if the values you're talking about are something else, I'm not sure
what to look for; the difference could be in the color matrices.

It could also be that every other green has a different sensitivity.

Do you know where I can download sample RAW files?
--

John P Sheehy