Brightness Adjustments

Old May 12th 05, 07:17 PM
John Keiser

Default Brightness Adjustments

I've noticed with digital cameras, the 20D included, that the camera's LED
view is well-balanced, bright. But when loaded on the PC the images almost
uniformly need brightness correction. I've adjusted the gamma using the
Adobe Gamma Tool so I don't think its my monitor.

Adjusting is, of course, easy. But is it your experience also that some
adjustments are always needed before printing? If so, do you run a batch
program to tweak several phots at once?

Thanks for comments.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Old May 12th 05, 09:37 PM
Todd H.

"John Keiser" writes:
I've noticed with digital cameras, the 20D included, that the camera's LED
view is well-balanced, bright. But when loaded on the PC the images almost
uniformly need brightness correction. I've adjusted the gamma using the
Adobe Gamma Tool so I don't think its my monitor.

Adjusting is, of course, easy. But is it your experience also that some
adjustments are always needed before printing? If so, do you run a batch
program to tweak several phots at once?

Thanks for comments.

Same deal in my 300D. Seems every goddamn image tends to be darker
than it should be.

I don't have this problem with the A85 or the G2. Dunno if it's the
unit or the design. I need to get a gray card to find out though.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Old May 13th 05, 12:31 AM
Crownfield

John Keiser wrote:

I've noticed with digital cameras, the 20D included, that the camera's LED
view is well-balanced, bright. But when loaded on the PC the images almost
uniformly need brightness correction. I've adjusted the gamma using the
Adobe Gamma Tool so I don't think its my monitor.

one quick way to check.
http://www.vircen.com/rpd/

the gray scale is a perfect digital scale.

you should be able to see all the steps,
and the difference between the two dark ones,
and the difference between the two light ones.

if you can, then the way pictures look on your monitor
is very close to the way they actually are.

Old May 13th 05, 01:25 AM
G.T.

"Todd H." wrote in message ...
"John Keiser" writes:
I've noticed with digital cameras, the 20D included, that the camera's

LED
view is well-balanced, bright. But when loaded on the PC the images

almost
uniformly need brightness correction. I've adjusted the gamma using the
Adobe Gamma Tool so I don't think its my monitor.

Adjusting is, of course, easy. But is it your experience also that some
adjustments are always needed before printing? If so, do you run a

batch
program to tweak several phots at once?

Thanks for comments.

Same deal in my 300D. Seems every goddamn image tends to be darker
than it should be.

I always ran exp comp at +2/3 on my 300D. It's the camera. 350D seems to
be a bit better.

Greg

Old May 13th 05, 01:40 AM
Sizer

"John Keiser" wrote in

I've noticed with digital cameras, the 20D included, that the camera's
LED view is well-balanced, bright. But when loaded on the PC the
images almost uniformly need brightness correction. I've adjusted the
gamma using the Adobe Gamma Tool so I don't think its my monitor.

The LCD is great for checking composition, blowouts, or other gross
exposure errors, but you absolutely cannot trust it for checking
brightness levels. Its gamma and color range just aren't comparable to a
real monitor. You'll find the same with a Rebel or a D70. The histogram
is much more useful. I used to always underexpose stuff on my D70 by
looking too much at the LCD picture, but after a little while I learned
its behavior and can now nail it consistently and just check the
histogram for verification in tough situations.

At least better too dark than too light.
Old May 13th 05, 03:10 AM
John Keiser

Glad I'm not alone with this. The grey scale was a good test [I passed] so
I may just start tweaking the exposures.

Thanks for the comments.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Old May 13th 05, 04:11 AM
Musty

"John Keiser" wrote in message
I've noticed with digital cameras, the 20D included, that the camera's LED
view is well-balanced, bright. But when loaded on the PC the images

almost
uniformly need brightness correction. I've adjusted the gamma using the
Adobe Gamma Tool so I don't think its my monitor.

Adjusting is, of course, easy. But is it your experience also that some
adjustments are always needed before printing? If so, do you run a batch
program to tweak several phots at once?

Thanks for comments.

Is it possible that your monitor is dark, or you are using the wrong color
profile. For example I use AdobeRGB on both my computer and camera. I have
the 20D and never have seen this issue.

Also check the following:
- Are you doing exposure compensation (using the large dial) by accident?
- If you are doing the above, you may just have your LCD brightness up and
it is hiding the exposure compensation issue.

Musty.