Film questions

Old July 14th 04, 08:23 PM
Dallas

Default Film questions

I am going to be importing some film in bulk from B&H in the next few
weeks, but I need to find out a few things first.

1. What are user opinions of the New Velvia 100? How does the saturation
compare to the original 50ISO Velvia?

2. Ilford XP-2 is another film I am keen to try - can't find it locally.
But I have heard of people saying that it is a very soft emulsion,
susceptible to scratching. I normally use Kodak T400CN, so if anyone can
make a comparison between the two, it would certainly be helpful to me.

3.Would the film be X-rayed en transit to SA? If so, would there be any
damage to the emulsion?

--
Dallas
Group guidelines on http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
Old July 14th 04, 09:00 PM
Alan Browne

Dallas wrote:

I am going to be importing some film in bulk from B&H in the next few
weeks, but I need to find out a few things first.

1. What are user opinions of the New Velvia 100? How does the saturation
compare to the original 50ISO Velvia?

I was shooting Sensia 100 and Velvia 100F on two bodies at the
same time (I didn't realize I had 100F loaded until I reloaded, I
hadn't intended to bring it to the event). Where I had shots of
horses jumping towards me with the sun pretty high, I can't use
the 100F shots. Way too dark in the shaddow areas. NARROW
latitude v. the Sensia 100. Same position shots on the Sensia
are okay to fine.

(One of the riders was a black gent too ... not flattering at all
with his black hat, black blouse under a dark beige jacket.)

3.Would the film be X-rayed en transit to SA? If so, would there be any
damage to the emulsion?

Depends on the cargo carrier.

Old July 14th 04, 11:24 PM
Bandicoot

"Dallas" wrote in message
newsan.2004.07.14.15.28.47.386000@southafrican.. .
I am going to be importing some film in bulk from B&H in the next few
weeks, but I need to find out a few things first.

1. What are user opinions of the New Velvia 100? How does the
saturation compare to the original 50ISO Velvia?

You mean 100F? There is a (non-F) Velvia 100 that I believe is only
available in Japan, so I assume you mean the Velvia 100F that I use.

V100F is a very nice film indeed. Slightly less contrasty than V50, and not
quite as eye-poppingly saturated, but still giving intense colours: just
slightly more believable. It's still a very high contrast film, with a
narrow latitude, but I think it is a bit less so than V 50, and consequently
has a bit wider application. I still have some V50 in the freezer to use
when I want the ultimate in saturated greens and blues, but in general since
I started using V100F I've not used V50 much - and I've used Provia 100F
less than I used to as well.

2. Ilford XP-2 is another film I am keen to try - can't find it locally.
But I have heard of people saying that it is a very soft emulsion,
susceptible to scratching. I normally use Kodak T400CN, so if
anyone can make a comparison between the two, it would certainly
be helpful to me.

I've heard this too, but never noticed particular problems. I'm careful
with all my negatives, obviously, and haven't felt a special need to take
extra care with XP-2.

3.Would the film be X-rayed en transit to SA? If so, would there be
any damage to the emulsion?

Depends on the carrier. I'd ask B&H who they use, and then ask them.

Peter

Old July 15th 04, 03:19 PM
BandHPhoto

Would the film be X-rayed en transit to SA? If so, would there be any
damage to the emulsion?

UPS has told us several times that none of our parcels are ever x-rayed or
scanned or irradiated.
- --

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Old July 15th 04, 07:16 PM
Dallas

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:19:40 +0000, BandHPhoto wrote:

Would the film be X-rayed en transit to SA? If so, would there be any
damage to the emulsion?

UPS has told us several times that none of our parcels are ever x-rayed or
scanned or irradiated.
- --

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Thanks Henry.

Just what I needed to hear - only thing is I will in all probability be
using the USPS shipping option - unless of course I am tempted to purchase
something a bit bigger...