Price of used 35mm equipment

Old December 25th 03, 02:24 PM
Bob Hickey

I think, for many, ebay is the world's cheapest rental store. Buy it, use it
as long as you need it, get your money back. Buy it on Tues; sell it back on
Sun, might even get postage back.
Bob Hickey
"The Spectre" wrote in message
.. .
WTF, is going on with the price of used 35mm equipment? I can not believe
that Nikon F5's, F4's, n90s's etc.. and associated Nikon f2.8 lenses and
accessories are selling for so little. I mean come on I saw an F5 with

MF-28
sell for $725.00!!! And that was after the seller reduced it twice. These
are still current production $1500 - $2000 cameras. Also, f2.8 glass is

many
times half of new price. Makes me wish I had an extra grand laying around.

Old December 25th 03, 02:34 PM
Paul Rubin

"The Spectre" writes:
WTF, is going on with the price of used 35mm equipment? I can not
believe that Nikon F5's, F4's, n90s's etc.. and associated Nikon
f2.8 lenses and accessories are selling for so little. I mean come
on I saw an F5 with MF-28 sell for $725.00!!! And that was after the
seller reduced it twice. These are still current production $1500 -
$2000 cameras. Also, f2.8 glass is many times half of new
price. Makes me wish I had an extra grand laying around.

Oh man, that is scary. I thought prices of this stuff went up around
the end of the year. What's a nice F3 going for? What about an FM2?
I never got around to unloading mine. Guess I'll still be (non-)using
it for an awful long time then. Sigh.
Old December 25th 03, 03:46 PM
JK

Film cameras go up in value? Perhaps when typewriters go up in value?
Perhaps there are a few very rare typewriters that go up in value based
on demand from nostalgic collectors, but most typewriters just end up in
the trash.

Dennis O'Connor wrote:

It is not the end of the world - and I have added to my C330 bodies, lenses,
recently for pennies on the dollar, so I'm pleased...
IF I choose to go seriously digital I will keep my F5 bodies and simply add
D1X, or whatever, to the body count and keep shooting... It's like the stock
market - on paper I may have a loss but until I sell it's only scribbles on
paper - and it may go up..

Cheers ... Denny

Old December 25th 03, 04:03 PM
Shankar Bhattacharyya

Steve Kramer wrote in
:

Sorry, but I sold the Contax G2, the 21mm, 45mm, 90mm, and flash
all as one package. Got almost what I paid for it all too!
Surprised the hell out of me!

I recently sold my old ASA 1600 Canon F-1 with the usual brassing for
a 30-year-old camera, 50/1.8 and 28/2.8 Canon lenses, extension rings,
a couple of Vivitar lenses, related filters, a Nikon N-60 and a couple
of other minor items to KEH and got considerably less than what I paid
for them originally but considerably more than I had expected,
particularly since Canon FD stuff is a dead end now.

They did say that my stuff was in unusually good condition but even so
I was surprised. A local place with a national presence on the US used
camera market had offered me disproportionately less on the Canon
stuff I took to them and that was a year ago.

Since KEH is not a naive operation, I conclude that there is still a
market for film equipment, at least if you are a dominant component of
that market.

I do expect that my current stash of bodies, including two F2 bodies,
one N-80 and a Rolleicord Vb TLR, represent the end of my film days.
The next body is likely to be what Nikon introduces as competition for
the Digital Rebel, or some such thing. Perhaps when D-100
functionality gets well below $1000.

- Shankar
Old December 25th 03, 05:00 PM
The Dave©

Dennis O'Connor wrote:
It is not the end of the world - and I have added to my C330 bodies,
lenses, recently for pennies on the dollar, so I'm pleased...
IF I choose to go seriously digital I will keep my F5 bodies and
simply add D1X, or whatever, to the body count and keep shooting...
It's like the stock market - on paper I may have a loss but until I
sell it's only scribbles on paper - and it may go up..

Same here. My plan is to make the digital jump this spring, either the
Digital Rebel or the 10D. I plan to still keep my EOS5 and Yashicamat,
though I may sell my Rebel 2000. I still see myself wanting to shoot
film from time to time, though I'm sure it will be less and less.
Old December 25th 03, 05:23 PM
The Spectre

Hi again,

I realize digital is the reason but that digital SLR these guys are lusting
over will be yesterdays news in 6 months just like computers and other
consumer electronics. No matter what 35mm film is still a much better medium
than digital for "quality" images right now. Sure digital will certainly
catch up soon enough but it IS NOT there yet so why the mass panic to dump
35mm and go with what are really 1st generation digital SLRs? Also, what
makes a $1000.00 nikkor lens any less useful with a digital camera than a
film one? How can those lenses fetch such a low price used yet be sold as
new at same prices as ever? Finally, a camera like a Nikons F series are
built to take punishment and withstand the rigors of professional use that I
just do not believe current digital cameras poses. Not to mention they are
works of ark in their own right. So how can an F5 which is a state of the
art, professional camera designed from the ground up to be the best and sold
in limited numbers as "world class" sell for less than a mass produced DSLR
that will be surpasses in 6 months by the latest and greatest digital
wonder.

Old December 25th 03, 06:47 PM
Clanger

"Paul Rubin" wrote in message
"The Spectre" writes:
WTF, is going on with the price of used 35mm equipment? I can not
believe that Nikon F5's, F4's, n90s's etc.. and associated Nikon
f2.8 lenses and accessories are selling for so little. I mean come
on I saw an F5 with MF-28 sell for $725.00!!! And that was after the
seller reduced it twice. These are still current production $1500 -
$2000 cameras. Also, f2.8 glass is many times half of new
price. Makes me wish I had an extra grand laying around.

Oh man, that is scary. I thought prices of this stuff went up around
the end of the year. What's a nice F3 going for? What about an FM2?
I never got around to unloading mine. Guess I'll still be (non-)using
it for an awful long time then. Sigh.

you will probably find the FM2's will keep their price closer to their new
cost, more so than say F5, F90, F100 etc. The higher priced bodies will drop
the most. Similar to say the motor market.

Old December 25th 03, 07:09 PM

In rec.photo.digital The Spectre wrote:
WTF, is going on with the price of used 35mm equipment? I can not believe
that Nikon F5's, F4's, n90s's etc.. and associated Nikon f2.8 lenses and
accessories are selling for so little. I mean come on I saw an F5 with MF-28
sell for $725.00!!! And that was after the seller reduced it twice. These
are still current production $1500 - $2000 cameras. Also, f2.8 glass is many
times half of new price. Makes me wish I had an extra grand laying around.

Those cameras are superb, but they're going the way of the dodo bird.
More and more people are moving to digital medium, and away from film.
This is why Kodak's film sales is dropping like a rock.

Old December 25th 03, 07:34 PM
Don Coon

"The Spectre" wrote in message
.. .
WTF, is going on with the price of used 35mm equipment? I can not believe
that Nikon F5's, F4's, n90s's etc.. and associated Nikon f2.8 lenses and
accessories are selling for so little. I mean come on I saw an F5 with

MF-28
sell for $725.00!!! And that was after the seller reduced it twice. These
are still current production $1500 - $2000 cameras. Also, f2.8 glass is

many
times half of new price. Makes me wish I had an extra grand laying around.

I think you know the answer; only someone living under a rock doesn't.

However, I will say that used Canon EOS lenses are *NOT* selling anywhere
near half price. The demand for EOS lenses is so high that "out-of-stock"
is common at many etail sites and prices on Ebay are high. Sometimes higher
than the buyer could get the lens for new. Example: I just sold a Canon EF
75-300 USM IS without the box or warranty card for $425 + shipping on Ebay;
you can buy it new from B&H for $399 after rebate.

Old December 25th 03, 07:37 PM
Don Coon

"Peter Chant" wrote in message
Steve Kramer writes:

That is PRECISELY why I chose to sell off all my film bodies when I did.
Very soon you won't be ABLE to sell them at all! You may be able to give
them away though... if you can find people still wanting them.

That does not explain lenses, or does it? I suppose DSLR's are still
much dearer than their film counterparts so people are just getting out
of SLRs to go digital.

Canon EOS lenses are selling at a high price on Ebay. I sold a used 75-300
USM IS for $425; you can buy a new one from B&H for $399 after rebate. The
exception are the cheapo 28-90 type kit lenses.