CF dying?

Old May 23rd 09, 07:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_11_]

Default CF dying?

Wally wrote:
[]
On average, you will lose the same number of shots with 8 1gb cards as
with 1 8gb card, except with 8 cards, there is a greater chance of
losing the card or bending pins.

I'd like to see the maths behind that.

When 32 gb cards come down in price a bit, that's what I will buy.
Should be enough for most 2 week excursions, and I won't have to take
the card out till I get home.

Wally

I'd also like to see independent measurements of failure rates of
different brands and capacities of both CF and SD cards. Fat chance!

David

Old May 23rd 09, 07:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
N[_5_]

"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message news

I'd also like to see independent measurements of failure rates of
different brands and capacities of both CF and SD cards. Fat chance!

David

Would this do?
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

Old May 23rd 09, 08:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Doug McDonald wrote:
Mike Cawood, HND BIT wrote:
"Ron Hunter" wrote in message

I don't see this as a problem. First, most photographers have no use
for SD cards larger than 2GB, let alone 32GB.

I have 11 GB of CF cards total. I consider it enough, not too much.

I have to be able to carry cards and (charged) batteries for
up to two weeks shooting in areas where there is no way to
charge a battery (short of solar cells of course) especially one
big enough to run a laptop computer. I have come close to
filling up the 11 gigs.

A picture takes up about 9 megabytes, 11 gigs is thus roughly
1200 pictures. This seems a lot until you start taking
panoramas. Them when you decide you need HDR panoramas
(e.g. inside Carlsbad Caverns) everything double. I'm
talking 500 megabytes per final picture!

Doug McDonald

I would like to see some of those. As for 9MB per picture, perhaps a
more frugal image format is in order for those longer excursions. And
taking panos isn't something the average photographer does often, I
suspect, although I have long enjoyed doing them, even before digital
cameras.
Old May 23rd 09, 08:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_11_]

N wrote:
"David J Taylor"
wrote
in message news

I'd also like to see independent measurements of failure rates of
different brands and capacities of both CF and SD cards. Fat chance!

David

Would this do?
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

Thanks, but no. No reliability figures as far as I could see.

David
Old May 23rd 09, 08:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
N[_5_]

"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message om...
N wrote:
"David J Taylor"
wrote
in message news

I'd also like to see independent measurements of failure rates of
different brands and capacities of both CF and SD cards. Fat chance!

David

Would this do?
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

Thanks, but no. No reliability figures as far as I could see.

David

Yeah, I had a poke around there, thought I remembered reliability figures
being there, but apparently not, just performance figures.

Old May 23rd 09, 02:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike S.

In article ,
Ron Hunter wrote:
Mike S. wrote:
In article ,
Jürgen Exner wrote:
"David J Taylor"
wrote:
David J. Littleboy wrote:
"Alfred Molon" wrote:

Seems more and more DSLR manufacturers are switching to SD cards...
SD has been winning for the last several years, David. I get the
impression that CF is now a niche product - restricted to higher end,
so-called "professional" DSLRs.
On the other hand the SD consortium made some other very foolish design
decisions. Remember that SD is limited to 2GB and SDHC to 32GB.
As card capacity is quickly approaching that limit we are in for another
round of "HELP, my card reader can't read my SD card", just 4 years
after the previous war of confusion.

The brand new SDXC finally has some leeway with 2TB (maybe they got
smart finally?), but by spec it uses the proprietary exFAT, which means
you need to run a new Windows if you want to read what your camera
wrote. Maybe there will be a new exFAT drivers for Windows XP, maybe
ther won't. Mac users will probably be fine, too, because for sure Apple
is going to licence exFAT. But users of older OS's or free OS's will be
left in the dark unless someone manages to illegally reverse engineer
the exFAT format.

exFAT drivers for XP were relased in January as MS hotfix KB955704.

Hummm. Not in my list of fixes. Unless it is included in SP3, I don't
have it, but then I don't need it, either.

It is not offered automatically by Windows Update; you must seek it out.

Old May 23rd 09, 03:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_11_]

Mike S. wrote:
In article ,
Ron Hunter wrote:
Mike S. wrote:

[]
exFAT drivers for XP were relased in January as MS hotfix KB955704.

Hummm. Not in my list of fixes. Unless it is included in SP3, I
don't have it, but then I don't need it, either.

It is not offered automatically by Windows Update; you must seek it
out.

FWIW, exFAT appears to be built in to Windows Vista and Windows-7.

Cheers,
David
Old May 23rd 09, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Fri, 22 May 2009 06:36:51 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote:
: David J. Littleboy wrote:
: "Alfred Molon" wrote:
:
: Seems more and more DSLR manufacturers are switching to SD cards...
:
: My first dcams were Sony (S85 and F707) which use the far superior
: memory stick; I've always thought the pins that CF uses are a
: disaster asking to happen. A bit of dust on the connector, and your
: camera needs a trip to the mfr. I've seen lots of bent pins in that
: sort of connector in the past.
: So maybe this is good news.
:
: (Our CEO just bought a portable DVD player, and it has an SD card
: slot, so it does seem that SD is winning.)
:
: SD has been winning for the last several years, David. I get the
: impression that CF is now a niche product - restricted to higher end,
: so-called "professional" DSLRs.
:
: Just be thankful that it's not micro-SD which has won! Too many lost
: cards then. G

Ah, but the useful thing about micro-SD cards is that spies can swallow them.
Just try swallowing a CF card!

Bob
Old May 23rd 09, 06:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

David J Taylor wrote:
N wrote:
"David J Taylor"
wrote
in message news
I'd also like to see independent measurements of failure rates of
different brands and capacities of both CF and SD cards. Fat chance!

David

Would this do?
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

Thanks, but no. No reliability figures as far as I could see.

David

Did you read all of the pages!
Old May 23rd 09, 07:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_11_]

Ron Hunter wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:
N wrote:
"David J Taylor"
wrote
in message news I'd also like to see independent measurements of failure rates of
different brands and capacities of both CF and SD cards. Fat
chance! David
Would this do?
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

Thanks, but no. No reliability figures as far as I could see.

David

Did you read all of the pages!

I looked through all 24 pages, and if there was a table showing
reliability versus make, style and size, I missed it! G

David

Wet photography is really dying David Nebenzahl In The Darkroom 22 January 9th 09 01:21 AM
Is CF a Dying Format? Jim Redelfs Digital SLR Cameras 162 January 21st 07 06:35 PM
10D dying? Mike Digital Photography 14 December 23rd 05 01:52 PM
Leica Dying [email protected] 35mm Photo Equipment 105 March 5th 05 09:05 PM
Contax is Dying [email protected] 35mm Photo Equipment 2 March 5th 05 05:13 AM