Tech Support?

Old October 9th 13, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Tech Support?

On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 19:13:15 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 10/8/2013 5:36 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 10:14:50 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 13:40:55 +0200, Sandman wrote:

Of course - it is totally unthinkable for you to actually be able to
support your position - you will just make a personal attack and then
run away. I've come to expect nothing less from you, Peter.

You gotta love a guy who calls someone else a liar, and then killfiles
that person, but complains about people making a personal attack and
then running away.

Haven't you noticed?

You and I are no longer on his kill file.

I doubt if you ever were.

Oh yes. From the headers of an earlier Sandman post:

Mocassin Joe, Snit, Chance Furlong, MuahMan, Jay Songbird,
Robert Whelan, Eric Stevens, Tony Cooper".

Now Tony and I are off the list.

Eric Stevens
Old October 9th 13, 12:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-10-08 16:34:28 -0700, Eric Stevens said:

On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 18:59:52 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

This is what happens when non-technical people still insist on arguing
technical issues without actually knowing what they're talking about.

I bet neither of you two geniuses can actually explain why I'm wrong.

True. But that's because you're not technical enough to understand the
difference between the USB *connector*, USB *bus* and the USB *protocol*.

Argument from authority now?

Once I discovered how the Lightning port worked (and that was not from
nospam), see http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Lightning_Connector ,
it became clear that there was insufficient functionality in the iPad
for it to claim USB compliance on it's own. It required the
electronics in the plug of the USB connector/adaptor cable to give the
iPad USB functionality.

no, it requires a cable to connect to a usb host, exactly the same as
any other usb device. just because the plug is different doesn't change
anything.

We are discussing *only* the iPad with Lightning.

users don't care what's happening at the component level. all they care
is that it connects to a usb port and works as they expect it to work,
and it does.

What's that got to do with it?

you are *so* fixated on it being a lightning port instead of a microusb
port, something that makes no difference whatsoever (except to you). at
the end of the day, the user plugs in a cable and they're in business.

It makes a hell of a difference if I'm trying to make an HDMI
connection to the Lightning port.

Just use the proper Lightning to HDMI connector.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...tal-av-adapter

Savageduck

Old October 9th 13, 02:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 8 Oct 2013 16:51:51 -0700, Savageduck

On 2013-10-08 16:34:28 -0700, Eric Stevens said:

On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 18:59:52 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

Yep. I know that. I'm damn sure that nospam knows that also.

The lightning port remains a Lightning port until you plug an
appropriate *external* adaptor into it.

Eric Stevens
Old October 9th 13, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

wrote:

On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 13:40:55 +0200, Sandman wrote:

Of course - it is totally unthinkable for you to actually be able to
support your position - you will just make a personal attack and then
run away. I've come to expect nothing less from you, Peter.

You gotta love a guy who calls someone else a liar, and then killfiles
that person, but complains about people making a personal attack and
then running away.

Haven't you noticed?

You and I are no longer on his kill file.

I doubt if you ever were.

Oh yes. From the headers of an earlier Sandman post:

Mocassin Joe, Snit, Chance Furlong, MuahMan, Jay Songbird,
Robert Whelan, Eric Stevens, Tony Cooper".

Now Tony and I are off the list.

I don't care enough to check the headers.

--
PeterN
Old October 9th 13, 06:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

True. But that's because you're not technical enough to understand the
difference between the USB *connector*, USB *bus* and the USB *protocol*.

Argument from authority now?

No, from knowledge.

Once I discovered how the Lightning port worked (and that was not from
nospam), see http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Lightning_Connector ,
it became clear that there was insufficient functionality in the iPad
for it to claim USB compliance on it's own. It required the
electronics in the plug of the USB connector/adaptor cable to give the
iPad USB functionality.

This is exactly what I am in reference to. You don't have the required
knowledge to discuss these matters, Eric.

All the argument has been about whether the iPad on it's own is fully
USB compliant (nospam says it is) or whether its USB compliant only
with the addition of the quite separate adaptor built into the
connector cable (my view of the situation).

And I, quite correctly, have pointed out that you don't know the
difference between the USB connector, USB bus and USB protocol. iPads,
iPhones and iPods have *never* been USB connector compatible. All are
USB protocol compatible.

USB connector:
No, have never been an option on any iDevice.

USB protocol:
Yes, fully compliant.

I think that even with an appropriate 8-pin plug it is not possible to
wire up a cable and obtain USB functionality merely by plugging it
into a Lightning port on an iPad.

Unsurprisingly, the Lightning port on Apple devices are compatible only
with lightning connectors. This is, obviously, quite irrelevant to
whether or not the iPad is USB compliant.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old October 9th 13, 06:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

so what? how many people are going to wire up their own microusb cable
or any other cable? they use the included cable or they buy a spare. no
big deal.

What's "how many people" got to do with it? What you have got in an
iPad with Lightning port is not a USB port: it's a lightning port.

Just like the iPad with the 30 pin dock connector wasn't a USB port
either, Eric. Nothing has changed, everything is the same.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old October 9th 13, 06:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

Just use the proper Lightning to HDMI connector.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...tal-av-adapter

Yep. I know that. I'm damn sure that nospam knows that also.

The lightning port remains a Lightning port until you plug an
appropriate *external* adaptor into it.

Which doesn't make the iPad any less USB compliant. Stop stating the
obvious. We are all aware of the Lightning port.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old October 9th 13, 06:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

Dave said that the iPad isn't suitable for that. The irony of that
statement had nothing to do with Dave, but with the fact that that's
what nospam has said since his very first post.

Argument by assertion doesn't help resolve technical matters.
Eventually nospam added sufficient explanation to make clear why he
held the view he did.

You're not speaking truthfully again, Eric. nospam even quoted posts he
made where he made this clear from the very beginning.

It's like a long discussion between two (or more) persons taking place
with one person claiming a specific thing the entire discussion and then
another person comes in through the door and hears the latest line of
reasoning and makes the same conclusion as the first person has done for
the last four days.

That's what happened at all. PeterN has been 'present' all along but
what nospam was saying continued to go right past him.

PeterN? What the hell? Now it's you who is confused. Who talked about
Peter?

--
Sandman[.net]
Old October 9th 13, 06:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

Oh yes. From the headers of an earlier Sandman post:

Mocassin Joe, Snit, Chance Furlong, MuahMan, Jay Songbird,
Robert Whelan, Eric Stevens, Tony Cooper".

Now Tony and I are off the list.

Yep, it expired. I just love how this is of such great interest to you
guys

"Oh oh, are we killfiled by Sandman? Are we? Are we?"

--
Sandman[.net]
Old October 9th 13, 06:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
PeterN wrote:

Oh yes. From the headers of an earlier Sandman post:

Mocassin Joe, Snit, Chance Furlong, MuahMan, Jay Songbird,
Robert Whelan, Eric Stevens, Tony Cooper".

Now Tony and I are off the list.

I don't care enough to check the headers.

Don't worry, Eric cares enough for all of you guys

--
Sandman[.net]