Why no 28-300/18-200 lenses with lower f-stop?

Old July 10th 11, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Why no 28-300/18-200 lenses with lower f-stop?

So I have this Tamron 28-300 (which is 18-200 on a FX body, right?
Sorry if I get that backwards) which is a fine enough lens, but it
goes from f3.5 - f6.3. It's not a huge lens by any stretch.

What I am wonder is why such a lens can't be made that is either 2.8
straight through or has an at least lower f-stop throughout (say 2.8
- 4).

I have the Nikon coffee thermos (i.e. their 70-200/2.8 lens) which in
comparison is huge, so I am assuming that size of the lens is a factor.

My reasoning goes something like the size of the lens is needed for
the f-stop to be so low at higher zoom distance, but the bigger the
lens, the higher the lowest zoom becomes (which is why it's 70-200 and
not 18-200).

Could anyone shed some light on this?

--
Sandman[.net]
Old July 10th 11, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article ,
Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , Sandman
says...
So I have this Tamron 28-300 (which is 18-200 on a FX body, right?
Sorry if I get that backwards) which is a fine enough lens, but it
goes from f3.5 - f6.3. It's not a huge lens by any stretch.

What I am wonder is why such a lens can't be made that is either 2.8
straight through or has an at least lower f-stop throughout (say 2.8
- 4).

I have the Nikon coffee thermos (i.e. their 70-200/2.8 lens) which in
comparison is huge, so I am assuming that size of the lens is a factor.

My reasoning goes something like the size of the lens is needed for
the f-stop to be so low at higher zoom distance, but the bigger the
lens, the higher the lowest zoom becomes (which is why it's 70-200 and
not 18-200).

Could anyone shed some light on this?

I'm not a lens expert, but obviously an 18-200 lens with such apertures
would be very big and heavy and probably also quite expensive.

That's what I'm assuming, the question I meant to ask was "why?". I
mean, what is it that makes it big and/or expensive?

Maybe pros wouldn't buy it because of the not to great optical quality,
and non-pros would not buy it because of the size, weight and cost.

Sigma has a 200-500/2.8 lens which is *HUGE* and has it's own battery
to power it:

http://www.digital2u.co.uk/images/200-500.jpg

I'm assuming that this is for a reason, I was just curious about the
particulars.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old July 10th 11, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
charles

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 22:10:20 +0200, Sandman wrote:

In article ,
Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , Sandman
says...
[...]

F number is focal length over diameter.

So, for /f 2.0 with 300 mm lens, the diameter would be 150 mm, or
about 6 inches.

Lots of other things to consider, this is just a very simple example.
Old July 10th 11, 09:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike[_25_]

On 10/07/2011 2:11 PM, Sandman wrote:

So I have this Tamron 28-300 (which is 18-200 on a FX body, right?
Sorry if I get that backwards) which is a fine enough lens, but it
goes from f3.5 - f6.3. It's not a huge lens by any stretch.

It would be 28~300mm on the FX body, on a DX (APS-C) it acts like a
42~450mm. They could make it a straight 28~300/2.8 constant. It would
need a 120mm lenscap, and would weigh around 3-4 kg 6-10 lbs.

Old July 10th 11, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike[_25_]

On 10/07/2011 4:30 PM, charles wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 22:10:20 +0200, wrote:

F number is focal length over diameter.

So, for /f 2.0 with 300 mm lens, the diameter would be 150 mm, or
about 6 inches.

That is pure math, a 300mm f:2. Nikon did make a special order 300/2
that used a 160mm filter, so about 6% bigger in diameter than math to
compensate for light loss.

Mike
Old July 11th 11, 05:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Sandman wrote:
So I have this Tamron 28-300 (which is 18-200 on a FX body, right?
Sorry if I get that backwards) which is a fine enough lens, but it
goes from f3.5 - f6.3. It's not a huge lens by any stretch.

What I am wonder is why such a lens can't be made that is either 2.8
straight through or has an at least lower f-stop throughout (say 2.8
- 4).

I have the Nikon coffee thermos (i.e. their 70-200/2.8 lens) which in
comparison is huge, so I am assuming that size of the lens is a factor.

My reasoning goes something like the size of the lens is needed for
the f-stop to be so low at higher zoom distance, but the bigger the
lens, the higher the lowest zoom becomes (which is why it's 70-200 and
not 18-200).

Could anyone shed some light on this?

Large aperture lenses are harder to design, the edges are always a
compromise and making it a zoom also means a compromise because it means
putting a variable 7x teleconverter on a 28mm lens to make it a 200mm
lens. All lenses involve some compromise, really. Even the very best
compromise on affordability.

Interesting question though, what is the longest zoom range for a fast
lens? Even if you include f/4 (moderately fast)?
slow
18-200 11.1x
28-300 10.7x
50-500 10x

fast
24-70 2.9x -longest range fast lens I can think of
70-200 2.8x
80-200 2.5x
200-500 2.5x
10-24 2.4x

I've heard of some cine lenses with extremely long zoom range but even
those probably aren't fast. Still I'll bet there are cine lenses that
exceed the specs above, which none of us can afford:

9.5-114mm f/1.4 12x for 2/3" $129,430.00
http://www.unitedbroadcast.com/Home/6232-hae12x95.html
The smaller format makes it easier to build crazy long range zooms too,
that's got a 3.9x 'crop factor' or conversion to 35mm equivalent of
37-444mm and the apparent DOF equivalence (whatever you want to call it)
probably works out to slower than f/4.

Here's a super-zoom compact with 30x zoom 27-810 eq. f/2.8-5.6:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1102/11...hx100vhx9v.asp
Old July 11th 11, 05:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Paul Furman wrote:
Sandman wrote:
[...]

I think you have to go to 12-24 to get f/4 medium-fast spec, 2x zoom.

Old July 12th 11, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bruce
wrote:

So I have this Tamron 28-300 (which is 18-200 on a FX body, right?
Sorry if I get that backwards) which is a fine enough lens, but it
goes from f3.5 - f6.3. It's not a huge lens by any stretch.

What I am wonder is why such a lens can't be made that is either 2.8
straight through or has an at least lower f-stop throughout (say 2.8
- 4).

It simply isn't possible to make a good, wide aperture 11X zoom lens
at an affordable price. You can thank the laws of physics for that.

that's why they're not wide aperture, but rather f/4-5.6 or so.

11X zoom lenses are best avoided. Period.

nonsense.
Old July 12th 11, 06:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , Bruce
wrote:

So I have this Tamron 28-300 (which is 18-200 on a FX body, right?
Sorry if I get that backwards) which is a fine enough lens, but it
goes from f3.5 - f6.3. It's not a huge lens by any stretch.

What I am wonder is why such a lens can't be made that is either 2.8
straight through or has an at least lower f-stop throughout (say 2.8
- 4).

It simply isn't possible to make a good, wide aperture 11X zoom lens
at an affordable price. You can thank the laws of physics for that.

that's why they're not wide aperture, but rather f/4-5.6 or so.

11X zoom lenses are best avoided. Period.

nonsense.

For some it may be true. The rest of us will make our choices according
to our own needs. There are plenty of times when the 11X zoom is the best
tool for the job, as you imply.

Cheers,
David

Old July 13th 11, 01:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete Stavrakoglou

"Bruce" wrote in message
"David J Taylor" wrote:
"nospam" wrote in message
. ..
In article , Bruce
wrote:

So I have this Tamron 28-300 (which is 18-200 on a FX body, right?
Sorry if I get that backwards) which is a fine enough lens, but it
goes from f3.5 - f6.3. It's not a huge lens by any stretch.

What I am wonder is why such a lens can't be made that is either 2.8
straight through or has an at least lower f-stop throughout (say 2.8
- 4).

It simply isn't possible to make a good, wide aperture 11X zoom lens
at an affordable price. You can thank the laws of physics for that.

that's why they're not wide aperture, but rather f/4-5.6 or so.

11X zoom lenses are best avoided. Period.

nonsense.

For some it may be true. The rest of us will make our choices according
to our own needs. There are plenty of times when the 11X zoom is the best
tool for the job, as you imply.

Self-justifying nonsense. No-one "needs" an 11X junk zoom.

There is never any situation when an 11X zoom can be "the best tool
for the job". It is always the worst tool for any job.

An 11X zoom is a choice only for undiscerning camera owners who don't
care about image quality - people who bought interchangeable-lens
cameras (why?) but are just too darn lazy to change lenses.

Still nonsense.