How many Nikon 24-120mm's have their been?

Old April 27th 11, 02:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

Default How many Nikon 24-120mm's have their been?

"RichA" wrote:

I figure at least four up to the new f4.0 unit. Never well-regarded,
but the new one did allow Nikon to almost double the price from the
last one from about $700 to $1200.

It's good to see that in this Internet backwater, the standards of
accuracy and research remain at their historical levels. I
haven't been able to find more than three versions released
publicly, but I look forward to learning about the other versions
you know about.

As for "never well-regarded," that's pretty much true, especially
among people who never tried one. You may hear a different story
from a real photojournalist, tourist, or other photographer who
realizes a) the MTF and SQF of a missed shot are exactly zero,
and b) you shouldn't try to pretend a Swiss Army Knife is the
same thing as a K-Bar Army Knife.

All lenses are engineering compromises, and cost plays a part in
almost all of the tradeoffs. The f/3.5~5.6 versions traded off
some optical quality for savings in size, weight, and yes, cost.
The newer f/4 version chooses different tradeoffs at a different
price.

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Its name is Public opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles

Old April 27th 11, 03:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Doug McDonald[_6_]

On 4/27/2011 9:30 AM, Rich wrote:
On Apr 27, 9:25 am, "Michael wrote:
wrote:
I figure at least four up to the new f4.0 unit. Never well-regarded,
but the new one did allow Nikon to almost double the price from the
last one from about $700 to $1200.

I tried one on the D300. The 16-85 wipes the floor with it.

REALLY?

How well does the 16-85 work at 105mm?? Do a direct comparison.

I own Canon, not Nikon, but I own a Canon 24-105 f/4L lens.
Its a good lens, but at the top of its range the much cheaper
70-300 I own is much better. Over some of its range the
extremely cheap (as in flimsy and low cost) 17-55 kit lens
is equally good (but lacks IS). This in on crop frame.

But neither 70-300 nor 17-55 is a good general lens.
The 24-105 is.

Doug McDonald
Old April 27th 11, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

"Rich" wrote:

I tried one on the D300. The 16-85 wipes the floor with it.

Please feel free to post comparison shots along with the
reference to those other "special" versions of the 24-120mm
I've never heard of.

I'll wait with baited breath, assuming, of course, that I
have sashimi for dinner.

Old April 27th 11, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

"Rich" wrote:

"Special?" In what sense? They had D, ED, ED VR and the new f4.0
across the board.

The non-VR ED version would be "special," because if it ever
existed it was never released publicly. Nor is it listed in
the Archive section of the Nikon Imaging website.

I eagerly await your evidence of same as well as your
comparison photos.

Old April 27th 11, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 4/27/2011 3:31 PM, Michael Benveniste wrote:
wrote:

"Special?" In what sense? They had D, ED, ED VR and the new f4.0
across the board.

The non-VR ED version would be "special," because if it ever
existed it was never released publicly. Nor is it listed in
the Archive section of the Nikon Imaging website.

I eagerly await your evidence of same as well as your
comparison photos.

My bated breath wait will smell baited, long before that happens.

--
Peter
Old April 28th 11, 06:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

"RichA" wrote:

Keep waiting. The last time I proved a point doing that (the DOF
test), the naysayers ran back under the rocks without a word.

I'm shocked, simply shocked. Please feel free to emulate your
naysayers.

Old April 29th 11, 01:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Mike Benveniste

On 4/28/2011 4:54 PM, RichA wrote:

I'm not sure what it is that you want to see. I have access
(currently) to the D and the VR ED version, but not the f4.0 version.

That makes three. You claimed there were four versions. I want
to see evidence of the non-VR ED version you claimed existed. Or is it
simply a matter that you lose count once you get past two?

You also claimed "I tried one on the D300. The 16-85 wipes the floor
with it," which out saying which version "one" or "it" was. I asked
for _your_ comparison, not a "pick-and-choose" rehash of some other
source of your choosing. I wanted to see how you managed to do an
"apples-to-apples" comparison of lenses which covered both different
focal lengths and image circles.

Doug asked you for the same thing. What was (and is) so hard to
understand about that?

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
You don't have to sort of enhance reality. There is nothing