Cheap SD Cards

Old November 17th 17, 03:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default Cheap SD Cards

Sunday I did a quick sunset shoot. Out of 46 images, several had weird
colors in unusual portions of the images. Magenta, purple and blue. The
weird colors did not show up when being viewed in Windows explorer, but
were evident in LR. The strange colors did not show up in Bridge, unless
I opened the image in ACR. The weird colors were quite evident in the
On1 browser and in Capture NXD. I must add that more weird colored
images showed up when viewed in the On1 browser, than with any other
method. My conclusion is that the corruption was caused by a bad card.
I am not interested in placing blame. I am interested in the problem not
recurring. For the first time since I've been shooting digital, I used a
card other than Lexar or Sandisk. Fortunately, those shots were just
intended to be background sky shots, so i had no real loss. It is
however the first time I have had files that were corrupted. I am
writing this to blow off some steam, and remind others who may have been
getting away with using cheap cards, that they have been lucky.

--
PeterN
Old November 17th 17, 04:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Nov 16, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

Sunday I did a quick sunset shoot. Out of 46 images, several had weird
colors in unusual portions of the images.

That shouldn’t be a problem for you. weird colors in unusual portions of
the images should be right in your wheelhouse. ;-)

[...]

Yup! I stick to Sandisk and Lexar, and in recent months with reports of
corruption issues with Lexar CF & SD cards, and reports that they are not
doing well as a business, I am now only buying Sandisk cards.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/3111535898

I have not experienced any corruption issues with either brand, but with one
Lexar 32GB 300MB/s SDHC UHS-II/U3 the lock slider was displaced on
re-inserting it into my X-T2. That effectively turned it into a read only
card which, after much trying, proved to be unrepairable. So that was a $65
card down the tubes. I still have one more of those, and four Lexar 32GB
150MB/s SDHC cards along with a whole bunch of Lexar CF cards.

All my other CF cards are Sandisk, and I have just bought 2 more Sandisk
Extreme Pro 32GB 300MB/s SDHC UHS-II U3 cards.

Savageduck

Old November 17th 17, 12:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dimitris Tzortzakakis

Στις 17/11/2017 4:49 πμ, ο PeterN *γραψε:

[...]

*--
PeterN

Ditto for me , peter. I bought a Nikon P&S in Glasgow for my niece, I
don't remember now the exact model, but it was 50 pounds IIRC. It was a
nice shop near the Clyde river. I bought a cheap card (5 pounds) but it
didn't last more than a year. I tried in vain to recover the images, and
my niece wated them because they went to the mountains to see the
snow.From now on I'm always getting brand name cards even if they cost a
couple of euros more.My Nytech takes a 2GB card only, but I found a shop
in the 'net that still had them. It's now on its third card and on its
third set of batteries.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old November 17th 17, 01:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
RichA wrote:

On Thursday, 16 November 2017 18:49:46 UTC-8, PeterN wrote:
[...]

Don't think though that Sandisk and Lexar are your only choices. Sony,
Kingston, Toshiba, Transcend, etc., have all branded or made decent cards.

The files are digital so if files written to the cards are identical
when read from them then the cards are oki and won't affect the colors
of your captures.
--
teleportation kills
Old November 17th 17, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
croy

On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 19:50:30 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

I have not experienced any corruption issues with either brand, but with one
Lexar 32GB 300MB/s SDHC UHS-II/U3 the lock slider was displaced on
re-inserting it into my X-T2. That effectively turned it into a read only
card which, after much trying, proved to be unrepairable. So that was a $65
card down the tubes.

I had that happen on a card a few years back, and found info on the web, telling me that the
tiny lock slider, when in read mode, is just filling a space. Apparently, the camera has a
"feeler", checking to see if it can drop into that space or not. If not, it's a R/W card! So
I carefully put some epoxy in that space, and am still using the card. I just can't use the
lock.

--
croy
Old November 17th 17, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 11/16/2017 10:50 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Nov 16, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

Sunday I did a quick sunset shoot. Out of 46 images, several had weird
colors in unusual portions of the images.

That shouldn’t be a problem for you. weird colors in unusual portions of
the images should be right in your wheelhouse. ;-)

Not like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4n3mlqf07qwmt10/_DSC7524.NEF?dl=0

And, yes. I know my sensor needs cleaning.

Old November 17th 17, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Nov 17, 2017, croy wrote
(in ):

wrote:

I have not experienced any corruption issues with either brand, but with one
Lexar 32GB 300MB/s SDHC UHS-II/U3 the lock slider was displaced on
re-inserting it into my X-T2. That effectively turned it into a read only
card which, after much trying, proved to be unrepairable. So that was a $65
card down the tubes.

I had that happen on a card a few years back, and found info on the web,
telling me that the tiny lock slider, when in read mode, is just filling a space. Apparently, the
camera has a "feeler", checking to see if it can drop into that space or not. If not, it's
a R/W card! So I carefully put some epoxy in that space, and am still using the card. I just
can't use the lock.

Interesting. I will give that a try, it is a case of having nothing to lose,
just another 32GB SD card to gain.

Thanks.

Savageduck

Old November 17th 17, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Nov 17, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 11/16/2017 10:50 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Nov 16, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

Sunday I did a quick sunset shoot. Out of 46 images, several had weird
colors in unusual portions of the images.

That shouldn’t be a problem for you. weird colors in unusual portions of
the images should be right in your wheelhouse. ;-)

Not like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4n3mlqf07qwmt10/_DSC7524.NEF?dl=0

Yup! That looks like a corrupt file issue. As to where that corruption is
happening one can best surmise that it was the card. However, there can be
all sorts of causes, mostly due to current, clearing the buffer, and writing
issues. So it would be best to run a check with a known good performing card
to eliminate possible issues with the camera.

What was the brand of the card in question, what was its rating, and which
camera were you using?

And, yes. I know my sensor needs cleaning.

So you noticed?

Old November 17th 17, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 11/17/2017 11:56 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Nov 17, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

D800, and a Delkin Black. I complained to Delkin. They are sending me a
reader, and requested that I test the card with that reader. The shot
you see is a ten shot multiple exposure. I was testing to see how much
time was needed between shots, to get a similar effect to a long
exposure. despite the corruption, my conclusion is that it can be done.
In a calm bay it takes about 2.5 seconds between each shot, for a ten
shot exposure.

--
PeterN
Old November 17th 17, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

PeterN:
It is
however the first time I have had files that were corrupted. I am
writing this to blow off some steam, and remind others who may have been
getting away with using cheap cards, that they have been lucky.

Ran into this a few years ago with a slow card in a GoPro. Tossed the
card in the trash. I have bought only premium-grade storage since that
time.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm