Canon ETTL flash with camera in M (manual) mode

Old September 22nd 05, 11:51 PM
Steve Wolfe

Default Canon ETTL flash with camera in M (manual) mode

My question to this group is: Is this also the way Canon
DSLRs (20D, 350D) works, or is there a setting on these
that let you retain ETTL with the flash with the camera
set to M?

My Rebel XT, with a Sigma 500 DG Super, does retain E-TTL functionality
in manual mode, which is rather nice, as it lets me be lazy in a pinch - I
can just set the shutter at 1/200, the aperture at f/8, and let the E-TTL
metering adjust the flash power to make things work out, provided I'm not
outside the range of the flash at f/8. On the other hand, I can put the
flash into manual mode, do the math, and set things myself if I feel like
it.

steve

Old September 23rd 05, 03:28 AM

In message ,
Gisle Hannemyr wrote:

My question to this group is: Is this also the way Canon
DSLRs (20D, 350D) works, or is there a setting on these
that let you retain ETTL with the flash with the camera
set to M?

With both my 10D and 20D, M on the camera and ETTL on the flash on both
the 420EX and 550EX results in autoflash.
--

John P Sheehy

Old September 23rd 05, 02:06 PM
Eugene

Another way to look at it is the G5 gives you the ability to use full
manual flash. This can be handy, and I wouldn't mind this capability
with my 20D.

Anyway as others have said the DSLR's retain full E-TTL flash in M mode.

Oh, and about the long shutter speed issue in Av-mode. This can be fixed
by setting the menu item "Slow synchro" to "Off". At least that's how it
works on the G3, I'm assuming the G5 would be the same.

If you're hoping to get better flash metering with a DSLR, I suspect you
would be dissapointed. I get far more accurate flash metering with my
420EX connected to my G3 than I do with my 20D. The "slow synchro" thing
should solve all of your ETTL woes, and then everything should work a treat.

On my Powershot G5, the P, Av and Tv mode insists on using
the flash in "fill" mode. I.e. Av-mode gives me too long
shutter speed, Tv-mode mode gives me a too wide aperture,
and P-mode messes up both.

Hoping that using M-mode (manual) would fix this, I turned
the mode dial on the camera to M, set shutter speed and
aperture, and made sure that the flash (550EX) still was
in ETTL-mode, and pressed the shutter release.

What happened was that the flash fired at full power.

As far as I am able to tell, with the G5 you lose the
ability to use ETTL to control flash output when you
switch the camera to M-mode.

My question to this group is: Is this also the way Canon
DSLRs (20D, 350D) works, or is there a setting on these
that let you retain ETTL with the flash with the camera
set to M?

And of course - if I've goofed up and overlooked a setting
on my G5, I would love to hear about it!

Old September 23rd 05, 06:22 PM
Steve Wolfe

Another way to look at it is the G5 gives you the ability to use full
manual flash. This can be handy, and I wouldn't mind this capability
with my 20D.

You have it. Just put the flash in manual mode!

: )

steve

Old September 24th 05, 12:09 AM
Steve Wolfe