dum dum asks again

Old January 11th 05, 09:55 PM
Kim

Default dum dum asks again

Hi

I was told my pictures could not be used in the local news paper

"Because newsprint requires high contrast, the photographs would not
reproduce well. "

I am a total newbie and I am using a cannon EOS D30 .

Is this something I can do to make them suitable for news print?

Thanks for you time and patience,

Kim

Old January 11th 05, 09:57 PM
Kim

PS
I am learning photo shop by trial and error, so although I am far from
proficient it is available to me.

Kim

"Kim" wrote in message
: Hi
:

Old January 11th 05, 10:10 PM
Jim

"Kim" wrote in message news:mZXEd.52660$8l.8479@pd7tw1no...
PS
I am learning photo shop by trial and error, so although I am far from
proficient it is available to me.

Kim

You can increase contrast with the curve tool, with the levels tool, or the
brightness/contrast tool. The last one would the choice for a beginner.
Jim

Old January 11th 05, 10:21 PM
Charles Schuler

"Kim" wrote in message
Hi

I was told my pictures could not be used in the local news paper

"Because newsprint requires high contrast, the photographs would not
reproduce well. "

Do you know what a "put-off" is? Your work should speak for itself. Print
some contrasty stuff and take it to them!

Old January 11th 05, 10:36 PM
Dave R knows who

"Kim" wrote in message
Hi

I was told my pictures could not be used in the local news paper

"Because newsprint requires high contrast, the photographs would not
reproduce well. "

I think you need to find out what "high contrast" means. Oversimplified:
don't take a picture of a dark subject on a dark background.

Old January 11th 05, 10:50 PM
Darrell

"Kim" wrote in message
Hi

I was told my pictures could not be used in the local news paper

"Because newsprint requires high contrast, the photographs would not
reproduce well. "

I am a total newbie and I am using a cannon EOS D30 .

Is this something I can do to make them suitable for news print?

Thanks for you time and patience,

BULLSH*T! news papers require normal images with normal contrast. In the old
days of silver based photographs, this would be a #2 or #3 paper. It was up
to the plate makers to provide the correct contrast for reproduction. With a
dSLR the same holds true, except the images can be tweaked more. Sounds like
they are making excuses. Toss a few of your pics on a webpage, and let us
see what they look like. I haven't seen them, but with a camera like the D30
I bet they are ok...

Darrell Larose
Ottawa, Canada.

Old January 12th 05, 12:45 AM
Joseph Meehan

Kim wrote:
Hi

I was told my pictures could not be used in the local news paper

"Because newsprint requires high contrast, the photographs would not
reproduce well. "

Who told you that? While it is true newspapers like things a little
more contrasty than what I would chose for myself, but what the standard
settings of your camera produces should be fine. Was this advice from a
friend and not the Newspaper?

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old January 12th 05, 07:27 AM
Tony

Almost any image eediting software can punch up contrast - including
whatever teh newspaper is using. If they told you they cannot use digital
(which has been standard on most newspapers for a few years now) I suspect
they are still using a linotype and the reporters have Underwoods on thier
desks. "Stop the presses. Hold the front page and get me rewrite, Sal. I've
got the scoop of the century!"

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Old January 12th 05, 08:33 AM
Marshall Schuon

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:50:42 -0500, "Darrell" dev/null wrote:

"Kim" wrote in message
[...]

_______

As a retired editor and longtime newspaper guy, I agree that this is
absolute BS. If anything, newsprint requires less in the way of
photographic quality than anything else. It's true that technology
and paper quality has improved over the years, but we are still not
talking glossy magazine halftones here. A long time ago (in the early
60's in Bethlehem, Pa.) we occasionally used Polaroid cameras and the
shots reproduced okay. What kind of newspaper is this, and what are
their capabilities?

Marshall

Old January 12th 05, 09:35 AM
Kim

OK
I have been ascared to do this just yet but here goes.
Keep in mind I have been doing this only since October and learning all on
my own.
I still have buttons on the camera I don't understand.
Be gentle I'm fragile

http://quitcentral.net/v-web/gallery/

Page 10 sub album holds the ones I submitted.

They did refer me on to the city web site, who did write that they will be
using some of my pictures,
but it would be fun to keep sending the local little area paper pictures.
Nervously
Kim