dum dum asks again

Old January 12th 05, 01:42 AM
LEICA

:
: I was told my pictures could not be used in the local news paper
:

Are you offering them a glossy print or an image on a CF card? Many newspapers
are not really with digital yet.
Relax. Just be aware that a good picture is a good picture whether is is from a
film camera or a digital

I haven't taken my best picture yet.
Old January 12th 05, 04:11 AM
Pete D

"Kim" wrote in message
Hi

I was told my pictures could not be used in the local news paper

"Because newsprint requires high contrast, the photographs would not
reproduce well. "

I am a total newbie and I am using a cannon EOS D30 .

Is this something I can do to make them suitable for news print?

Thanks for you time and patience,

Kim

Sounds like rubbish to me. Most papers will be outptting to .pdf files for
printing, they will use jpg or tiff and will convert from colour to
greyscale and adjust the contrast to suit. Only if your pictures are really
washed out will it be a problem.

Old January 12th 05, 08:42 AM
Marshall Schuon

Default dum dum asks again

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:27:51 GMT, "Tony" wrote:

Almost any image eediting software can punch up contrast - including
whatever teh newspaper is using. If they told you they cannot use digital
(which has been standard on most newspapers for a few years now) I suspect
they are still using a linotype and the reporters have Underwoods on thier
desks. "Stop the presses. Hold the front page and get me rewrite, Sal. I've
got the scoop of the century!"

______

Ah, you do bring back memories. I still have my old "candlestick"
telephone from the long-defunct Globe-Times in Bethlehem, Pa. It was
the last one left in the newsroom and it had taken to dialing random
wrong numbers. The Bell repairman said he was unable to fix it and
had to replace it with a modern phone, so I asked if I could have it.
"Nope," he said, "not if you were my mother. On the other hand, if I
don't see what happens to it, I can't very well accuse you of
stealing." So he turned his back, and I put the phone in a drawer. I
bet it still gets wrong numbers.

Marshall

Old January 12th 05, 09:35 AM
Kim

OK
I have been ascared to do this just yet but here goes.
Keep in mind I have been doing this only since October and learning all on
my own.
I still have buttons on the camera I don't understand.
Be gentle I'm fragile

http://quitcentral.net/v-web/gallery/

Page 10 sub album holds the ones I submitted.

They did refer me on to the city web site, who did write that they will be
using some of my pictures,
but it would be fun to keep sending the local little area paper pictures.
Nervously
Kim

"Darrell" dev/null wrote in message
: "Kim" wrote in message
: news:LXXEd.52653$8l.49071@pd7tw1no...
: Hi
:
: I was told my pictures could not be used in the local news paper
:
: "Because newsprint requires high contrast, the photographs would not
: reproduce well. "
:
: I am a total newbie and I am using a cannon EOS D30 .
:
: Is this something I can do to make them suitable for news print?
:
:
: Thanks for you time and patience,
:
: BULLSH*T! news papers require normal images with normal contrast. In the
old
: days of silver based photographs, this would be a #2 or #3 paper. It was
up
: to the plate makers to provide the correct contrast for reproduction. With
: dSLR the same holds true, except the images can be tweaked more. Sounds
like
: they are making excuses. Toss a few of your pics on a webpage, and let us
: see what they look like. I haven't seen them, but with a camera like the
D30
: I bet they are ok...
:
: Darrell Larose
: Ottawa, Canada.
:
:

Old January 12th 05, 11:48 AM
MasterBlaster

"Kim" wrote

OK
I have been ascared to do this just yet but here goes.
Keep in mind I have been doing this only since October and learning all on
my own.
I still have buttons on the camera I don't understand.
Be gentle I'm fragile

http://quitcentral.net/v-web/gallery/

Page 10 sub album holds the ones I submitted.

Where exactly is "Page 10"?

The only things at that address a

Member art (1 page, 2 items).
Bubbabob's Sample Pic's (1 page, 8 items)
My Sanity (9 pages, 73 items) You?
Much Lovabloomi (4 pages, 30 items)

Inside My Sanity it says "1 sub-album and 72 images in this album
on 9 pages", but there's no obvious link to any mysterious "Page 10".
Is it perhaps only viewable by you when "logged in"?
Or did you move all the pics into the other 9 pages?

Old January 12th 05, 05:40 PM
Tony

Hang onto that phone - you might get a call from President Harding!

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Old January 12th 05, 08:02 PM
Crownfield

Kim wrote:

OK
I have been ascared to do this just yet but here goes.
Keep in mind I have been doing this only since October and learning all on
my own.
I still have buttons on the camera I don't understand.
Be gentle I'm fragile

http://quitcentral.net/v-web/gallery/

someone has a good eye.

Page 10 sub album holds the ones I submitted.

if you mean "my sanity II",
you are seeing the photograph. you will only get better.
I am glad you posted them.

they were not as simple as they seemed.
the lighting makes those shots harder.

the meter sees white snow and bright sunset.
the sunset is good, but the snow is grey.
the pictures there are flat, not enough contrast.
the snow should be much lighter. snow is usually white.

look at
http://www.vircen.com/rpd/

for some examples of changes.

Old January 13th 05, 03:06 AM
Matt Ion

Kim wrote:
Hi

I was told my pictures could not be used in the local news paper

"Because newsprint requires high contrast, the photographs would not
reproduce well. "

I am a total newbie and I am using a cannon EOS D30 .

Is this something I can do to make them suitable for news print?

Nothing that the paper couldn't do themselves using PhotoShop or any
other simple photo-editing tool.

I'm guessing whoever told you this isn't someone actually connected with
the paper's publisher, or even with the newspaper at all...