350D, D70s, lenses - Need inspiration

Old September 3rd 05, 12:14 AM
Alan Bremner

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 11:27:56 +0100, Geoff
wrote:

The main thing against the Canon for me is it's small size and plasticky
'toy like' feel. I haven't held it myself yet but I trust what others have
said about that

Do you also trust me when I say that I don't find its size awkward,
nor do I consider that it feels "toy-like"? :-)

Ignore what others say and handle ALL the cameras within your budget
yourself before making a decision. Only you can judge what feels right
in your hands, and like me you're about to make a considerable
financial commitment so it makes sense to explore all your options so
that you end up with the right tools for the job *you* want to do.

Al
--
[This space intentionally left blank]
Old September 3rd 05, 12:48 AM
Mike Warren

Geoff wrote:

The main thing against the Canon for
me is it's small size and plasticky 'toy like' feel. I haven't held
it myself yet but I trust what others have said about that, and I
know I'm the sort of person to be very put off a camera simply by how
it looks and feels. It's a shame because if it wasn't for that I may
well have gone with the Canon.

I chose the D70S because it was easier to operate. The controls I
use most fall under my fingers with very little thought. The dual
control dials are really convenient.

The 350D just didn't do the same for me. It also didn't feel as
solid as the D70S (Both are made of plastic).

That said, you really need to handle both cameras because
you may find the opposite true for you. Canon have put thought
into where the controls should be placed and you may find that
it feels better for you.

-Mike

Old September 22nd 05, 07:17 PM
Apoc Metal

"Robert W. Curry" wrote:

Geoff wrote:

Thanks for your answers mate. I'm more and more definately going for the
Nikon now. The one thing remaining that leads me to wanting the Canon
instead is the lower pixels, but everyone reckons I won't even notice,
so I won't worry about that. Nikon it is then.

I'm not sure why it's easier to take a card out and put it in a card
reader by the way, compared to plugging the camera in? Not that it
matters, I'll have both options if I buy a card reader. With my current
camera I plug it in to the USB lead and it's recognised straight away. I
can't imagine anything being faster. I guess it helps to have USB
sockets on the front of the PC case.

You said I'll be disappointed with those 2 lenses I mentioned, which is
pretty much what I've read elsewhere too. I don't know what the best
option is going to be for a larger lens without spending a lot more. A
70-200mm has been suggested (I haven't looked at available options for
those yet) so maybe I'll go for that if I have to, but I'd rather have
higher zoom than that if possible. I guess I can't have it all for the
money I have.

Could you or anyone else suggest either a 70-200mm or 70-300mm lens
that's at least resonably good and has, above all else, fast focusing?
Sub 300GBP.

Cheers,
Geoff.

You might to to http://non-aol.com/D70/ and check the reviews there. I've