Fuji GW690III lens contrast

Old May 28th 04, 01:49 AM
Jytzel

Default Fuji GW690III lens contrast

I know this is a very sharp lens, but I wonder if it's "too" sharp. I
have noticed that grain tend to be exaggerated when using and tonality
is not that smooth compared to other lenses. I read a review saying
that it tends to "posterize" images; it seems that the reviwer was
describing what I'm starting to notice. Does anybody share the same
openion?

regards,
Old May 28th 04, 03:04 AM
Stacey

Jytzel wrote:

I know this is a very sharp lens, but I wonder if it's "too" sharp. I
have noticed that grain tend to be exaggerated when using and tonality
is not that smooth compared to other lenses. I read a review saying
that it tends to "posterize" images; it seems that the reviwer was
describing what I'm starting to notice. Does anybody share the same
openion?

Use softer film if you don't like the high contrast. Also how are you having
it printed? If you're shooting something like reala and printing it on
consumer fuji crystal archive paper, it's going to look nasty if the lens
has good contrast. Try kodak pro paper in the softer portrait grades.

It's easy to tone down a high contrast lens, it's hard to make a soft lens
look sharp. Then again you -could- just throw a softar in front of it! :-)

--

Stacey
Old May 28th 04, 01:18 PM
Jytzel

Stacey wrote in message ...
Jytzel wrote:

I know this is a very sharp lens, but I wonder if it's "too" sharp. I
have noticed that grain tend to be exaggerated when using and tonality
is not that smooth compared to other lenses. I read a review saying
that it tends to "posterize" images; it seems that the reviwer was
describing what I'm starting to notice. Does anybody share the same
openion?

Use softer film if you don't like the high contrast. Also how are you having
it printed? If you're shooting something like reala and printing it on
consumer fuji crystal archive paper, it's going to look nasty if the lens
has good contrast. Try kodak pro paper in the softer portrait grades.

It's easy to tone down a high contrast lens, it's hard to make a soft lens
look sharp. Then again you -could- just throw a softar in front of it! :-)

Thanks for the "valuable" advice. I already know that but I'm afraid
the solutions you advised are too simplistic and reflects that you
don't know what I'm talking about. Have you ever tried the camera?

thanks
Old May 28th 04, 03:03 PM
Hemi4268

Thanks for the "valuable" advice. I already know that but I'm afraid
the solutions you advised are too simplistic and reflects that you
don't know what I'm talking about. Have you ever tried the camera?

thanks

I like these kinds of replys as it kinda indicates the writer already knows the
answer.

Anyway, yes I have used the GW690III camera. MTF values are most likely very
high at small magnifications much like the Hasselblad. Since at least 50% of
Hasselblad usage is for weddings and Kodak thought to design a lower contrast
film just for weddings, I would say using a 160 type wedding film designed for
detail in a white dress would bring the contrast way down.

Larry
Old May 28th 04, 03:04 PM
Jeff

Jytzel wrote:
Stacey wrote in message ...

Jytzel wrote:

[...]

I believe Stacy's reply was valuable.
My experience with my GSW690III and Velvia was similar to yours.
Changing to Provia tamed the lens substantially.

Jeff.

Old May 29th 04, 12:56 AM
Stacey

Jytzel wrote:

Stacey wrote in message
Jytzel wrote:

[...]

:-)

Thanks for the "valuable" advice. I already know that but I'm afraid
the solutions you advised are too simplistic and reflects that you
don't know what I'm talking about. Have you ever tried the camera?

Used one (GSW6X9) for almost a dozen years so yea I know a little about
them.

Sorry you think I'm clueless about this. Might as well sell it if you can't
understand how the film and paper you're using are what the problem
probably is.
--

Stacey
Old June 2nd 04, 12:13 AM
Jytzel

Stacey wrote in message ...
Jytzel wrote:

Stacey wrote in message

Used one (GSW6X9) for almost a dozen years so yea I know a little about
them.

Sorry you think I'm clueless about this. Might as well sell it if you can't
understand how the film and paper you're using are what the problem
probably is.

I´m striclty talking about lens characteristics, not about film or
paper.. Just lens.., L.E.N.S

J.
Old June 2nd 04, 02:35 AM
Stacey

Jytzel wrote:

Stacey wrote in message
Jytzel wrote:

Stacey wrote in message

Used one (GSW6X9) for almost a dozen years so yea I know a little about
them.

Sorry you think I'm clueless about this. Might as well sell it if you
can't
understand how the film and paper you're using are what the problem
probably is.

I´m striclty talking about lens characteristics, not about film or
paper.. Just lens.., L.E.N.S

So what are you going to do? Change the L.E.N.S.?

Yes you've discovered these lenses have VERY high contrast (bravo!), which
IMHO is a good thing. It's easier to tame high contrast than to try to
increase contrast on a soft lens. If you insist on using high contrast
film/paper (velvia? Or consumer grade paper?) like you would use with a low
contrast lens/camera, the only other solution is to sell the camera for one
with a lower contrast lens so you can use your high contrast film/paper.
It's really not that complicated. I guess you could try something like a
tiffen soft contrast filter? Seems easier to me to just use softer film.

If you don't like the look this type of lens produces, stay away from
anything like a 'blad, mamiya etc. Something like an older single coated
bronica lens might produce what you're after using the film you want to
use? For me, I'd rather just try another type of film.

--

Stacey
Old June 2nd 04, 02:52 PM
Jytzel

Stacey wrote in message ...
Jytzel wrote:

If you don't like the look this type of lens produces, stay away from
anything like a 'blad, mamiya etc. Something like an older single coated
bronica lens might produce what you're after using the film you want to
use? For me, I'd rather just try another type of film.

Just for the note: contrast is very different between Hassy, Mamiya and GW690III.

good luck

Old June 2nd 04, 03:34 PM
Jeff

When you ask for advise, you have to listen, not argue.

Over the past couple of years, members like Stacey and David L. have
given me much advise on MF gear. If I haven't thank'd them in the past,
I'm going to do it now.

Jeff.

PS: Silence is golden.